Trying to plan out the middle of our honeymoon trip through Italy. My husband and I will be leaving Florence in the morning on June 14th and picking up a rental car, which we'll then drive to our home base of either Montalcino or Siena. We'll have the remainder of that day plus two full days to explore before hopping back in the car to drive down to Positano.
Where would you suggest we stay - Montalcino or Siena? Or is there another option I haven't uncovered in my research? We will have hit Rome & Florence beforehand, so I'm trying to stay away from another city vibe, but also want to be able to go out for our dinners without worrying about a designated driver getting us home (aka walking distance to a town would be great). We're looking to do at least one vineyard tour while there.
Any preferences either way? Or new suggestions? And if so, any suggestions where to stay / tours to take / restaurants to try?
Tuscan Base: Montalcino vs. Siena
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How to decide where to go in Europe
- 2 Italy dolomites
- 3 Brisighella or Castelvetro di Modena Lodgings in Emilia Romagna
- 4 Greece and Italy in 20 days
- 5 Scuol, Switzerland
- 6 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 7 Airport ATMs
- 8 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 9 Euro Trivia Quiz #16
- 10 5 Observations About Paris
- 11 Euro Trivia quiz #15 - Famous Folks and Places
- 12 Brittany France 2014 - Trip Report
- 13 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 14 Northern Italy Itinerary Help
- 15 Hotels in Toulouse & Montpellier
- 16 Switzerland help...?
- 17 Have ten days to visit Munich, Salzburg and Switzerland
- 18 Italy 2015: making the internal plans
- 19 8 Days in Switzerland for the non skier
- 20 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 21 Early stages of planning for Euro trip + would love suggestions
- 22 Sicily in a winter
- 23 Help with itinerary for girls trip to Swizterland
- 24 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 25 A month in Europe - how does this sound?