Trying to plan out the middle of our honeymoon trip through Italy. My husband and I will be leaving Florence in the morning on June 14th and picking up a rental car, which we'll then drive to our home base of either Montalcino or Siena. We'll have the remainder of that day plus two full days to explore before hopping back in the car to drive down to Positano.
Where would you suggest we stay - Montalcino or Siena? Or is there another option I haven't uncovered in my research? We will have hit Rome & Florence beforehand, so I'm trying to stay away from another city vibe, but also want to be able to go out for our dinners without worrying about a designated driver getting us home (aka walking distance to a town would be great). We're looking to do at least one vineyard tour while there.
Any preferences either way? Or new suggestions? And if so, any suggestions where to stay / tours to take / restaurants to try?
Tuscan Base: Montalcino vs. Siena
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Chip but no PIN
- 2 What still confounds you about travel?
- 3 Venice canal boats--best deals?
- 4 Itinerary: 13 day trip to Greece
- 5 Foie gras, redux
- 6 Pre-Purchasing Train Tickets
- 7 Dublin Tour Companies
- 8 Naxos Island: Best Way to Get Around?
- 9 Day trips from Seville
- 10 Oktoberfest reservations
- 11 Anyone been to Rhodes,Crete,etc. over Christmas?
- 12 Duoro Valley lodging for 3 in June
- 13 Long Weekend in Lisbon - Loved it!
- 14 Switzerland and Piedmont, Italy itinerary suggestions
- 15 Completely off the beaten track on the Petite Ceinture
- 16 Southern France
- 17 Anniversary Dinner in Paris
- 18 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 19 Must see in Dubrovnik
- 20 Advice for budget trip to Venice, espec trains & Groupons
- 21 Travel over Col du Puymorens and lunch.
- 22 Turin: Have you used the Torino+Piemonte card?
- 23 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 24 Train to Airport in Venice
- 25 Golfing in Ireland