Trying to plan out the middle of our honeymoon trip through Italy. My husband and I will be leaving Florence in the morning on June 14th and picking up a rental car, which we'll then drive to our home base of either Montalcino or Siena. We'll have the remainder of that day plus two full days to explore before hopping back in the car to drive down to Positano.
Where would you suggest we stay - Montalcino or Siena? Or is there another option I haven't uncovered in my research? We will have hit Rome & Florence beforehand, so I'm trying to stay away from another city vibe, but also want to be able to go out for our dinners without worrying about a designated driver getting us home (aka walking distance to a town would be great). We're looking to do at least one vineyard tour while there.
Any preferences either way? Or new suggestions? And if so, any suggestions where to stay / tours to take / restaurants to try?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Brief trip report Naples
- 2 Glastonbury vs Bath
- 3 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 4 thursdaysd Wanders South
- 5 Paris Under Seige...
- 6 Advices about our itiniary
- 7 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 8 Coach with driver rental, Puglia Italy
- 9 Private transportation
- 10 Return to Rome Pre Cruise Trip Report October 2016
- 11 How a Greek DIY expert ended up on a Greek Island Cruise
- 12 Scenic drives in Tuscany
- 13 Sicily--Three Weeks in October--Winging It is Doable
- 14 COP 21 transportation disruptions 29-30 November 2015
- 15 Scotland itinerary, helm me with15 night itinerary
- 16 Train from Interlaken to Venice
- 17 X-ray machines at train stations in Europe?
- 18 Establishing a Realistic Food Budget
- 19 Global Travel Warning...
- 20 Belgian govt terror alert: Avoid malls, concerts & trains
- 21 Northern Italy - where to go?
- 22 Staying in Ventimiglia vs France
- 23 Churches of the East Riding of Yorkshire
- 24 Italy AND Switzerland in 8 days
- 25 St. Petersburg: Gosh, it's expensive