I am planning a month-long excursion in Greece and Turkey this summer. The first couple of weeks I'll be spending in Istanbul and Greece with a friend, For the second half, I plan on going it alone, first doing the island of Rhodes (or Kastellorizo) for 2 or 3 days and then hopping onto a ferry to Marmaris or Fethiye, from whence I will move eastward along the coast stopping at Patara/Gelemis, Kas and/or Kalkan, Cirali/Olympos.
After Cirali/Olympos, I had planned to head to Antalya to catch a flight back to Istanbul, where I'll be flying back to the States from.
I have a few questions regarding this part of my excursion and any friendly advice and tips are greatly appreciated.
1) First, bearing in mind that I am a reasonable, smart, safe 27 year old man who's not new to backpacking alone through Europe, is this area of the country completely safe to travel alone in? It seems to be, but if anyone has any information to the contrary, I'd like to know.
2) Rather than renting a car, relying on the dolmus/bus service to and from these villages should be no big hassle, right? I've checked the dolmus schedules and it seems these villages are all connected on one line running east-west.
3) Any other small villages around this area that you guys think is a must-visit type of place? What about Demre?
4) Likely will have about 8 or 9 days to do this part of my trek. Is that too short? Too long? Just right? From my research of the size of each of the places I plan to stop, the distance between them, and always the ability to just skip over one, I feel like this is probably the right amount of time.
5) Any advice on must-do activities or places to visit around this area that I haven't covered would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the large number of questions. I have no doubt that this area of Turkey is fantastic to visit, and have done ample research, but given that I could go almost anywhere in Turkey or Greece during the time that I have, I want to make sure I'm allotting my time to a location that will be worth the investment.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Berlin
- 2 Germany or Sweden
- 3 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 4 Day trip outside of Dublin
- 5 Which 2 locations on Amalfi Coast?
- 6 One free day in Barcelona
- 7 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 8 Greek Village
- 9 Ideas for weekend trips from Aachen
- 10 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 11 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 12 Sicily help
- 13 PARIS
- 14 Athens Help
- 15 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 16 "Too Much Cows"
- 17 Bordeaux to Nice
- 18 Austrian Train Purchase from US
- 19 Thinking about the Fjords
- 20 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 21 Rome -- The next time around
- 22 Granada in April; add Malaga?
- 23 Bordeaux: north side parking, then public transport to the center?
- 24 Rome to Venice
- 25 La Coruna or Santiago or both?