I have a nine hour layover in Istanbul in both directions en route from Boston to Cape Town coming up. On the way out, I arrive in Turkey at 4:25pm (Sunday) and on the way back, I arrive in Turkey at 5:20am (Sunday). Is it worth getting out into the city to explore? I can get my Visa online to save myself some time. I am a single traveler and would rather go eat and see some sights than sit in a terminal for hours on end, trying to stay awake (my flight to Africa leaves at 1am). I usually carry-on my luggage, is there a place to leave it for the time being so I don’t have to lug it around the city or should I just check my luggage and hope for the best?
Suggestions on getting around and what to see/do would be most helpful! I am familiar with Uber as I drive for them here in Boston, but do they have that in Turkey? Turkish Bath worth the time/money? I assume the market will be closed on both days, but I wouldn’t want to waste time not seeing some of the sights! Also, should I bother getting some Lira? I don’t typically carry cash, but I will have Rand on me which is obviously no use to me in Europe!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lodging in Zurich and Lucerne?
- 2 2 weeks Europe trip
- 3 French Election - Questions???
- 4 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 5 dinner jackets
- 6 French election
- 7 What is the best travel insurance company?
- 8 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 9 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 10 Should I book my own guide for the Lourve and Versaille?
- 11 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 12 Paris & Cote d'Azur Trip report
- 13 To Paris Beauvais? Thursday the 27th am?
- 14 Gorges de Verdon to Eze - where to stay along way?
- 15 Help me bookend our Bologna stay in December
- 16 Lucerne and Innsbruck
- 17 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 18 10 days Greece in mid-Sept 2017
- 19 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 20 Restaurant suggestions in Lyon France? Overwhelmed!
- 21 Thrift Stores in Paris
- 22 mountain views near London
- 23 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #163
- 24 Need Help with German Train Schedule
- 25 Italy in 11 Days