Enclosed is my wife Debbie's trip report
TURKEY Day 1- We arranged through our hotel to have someone pick us up at the airport. We stayed at the Hanedan Hotel. It was no problem getting the visa. Get in line, pay your money and you are off. Our driver was waiting for us but before leaving we wanted to get some money from the atm and buy a sim card for our phone. This went smoothly, too. There is a phone place right where you exit and an atm machine right nearby, too. So our driver waited patiently while we did this and then we were off. When we were near the Sultanamet we got stuck in some very heavy traffic and ended up sitting still for about 20 minutes. People selling stuff would walk by the cars and our driver said something to one of them. We were two cars past an intersection and he helped the people behind us and then us back up and make a left turn up a side street. There was a lot of honking and people yelling from cars but we got out of there and then 5 minutes later he was pulling up to our hotel. We checked in and then went out for a walk. It was already evening and we didn’t know where anything was yet but it was too early for bed and we still had to get some dinner. We went down our street to where there is a t-intersection and made a right turn. We went past some stores and an open air restaurant and saw some stairs. We went up and we were at the back of the Blue Mosque. It was very cool to see it at night, lit up. We then headed back the way we came and there is a tree with green lights around it and that would be my landmark to find our hotel. There is a restaurant right on the corner by the hotel called the Rumist. I know it is crazy to talk about pizza in Turkey but I had the best pizza there. My husband had a kabob and he got a plate full of delicious food. Sometimes you look all over for a place to eat and the best place is right next door! So after that we headed in for some sleep. It’s funny, I was a little nervous about traveling in Turkey and this turned out to be one of our best trips. We set up the pick up from the airport because I was scared to take the train and I was nervous about driving in Turkey because you hear how dangerous it is and I’m afraid of heights, but I went on the hot air balloon ride in Cappadocia. And when we got back to Istanbul from our road trip we took the train from the airport and then back to the airport the next day for our trip home! And we drove from Izmir to Antalya! We did the train from the airport because we had very good directions from one of the posts. He even said how many stops before you get off. And the Turkish people are wonderful. So we were off to a good start. We would start our site seeing tomorrow.
Turkey Trip Report 4/26-5/8/11 (1)
Enclosed is my wife Debbie's trip report
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Will I be able to add minutes to the phone I bought in Spain 3 years ago?
- 2 Avignon to London?
- 3 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 4 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague
- 5 Small group tour for Vatican and Colosseum/Forum, ? catacombs
- 6 feedback on itinerary to france and switzerland
- 7 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 8 Discover Greece On Line (Video + Stills)
- 9 Trip report:Vienna,Graz,Lake district,Salzburg,Wachau,Prague,Munich.
- 10 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 11 Need Advice for my first family to Europe
- 12 OUR BIG ADVENTURE...2 WEEKS and counting
- 13 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 14 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 15 Apartments in Jun/Jul in Rome, Venice, Florence (family of 5)
- 16 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 17 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 18 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 19 Vienna - stay near train station or Innere Stadt?
- 20 Cilento, Calabria and Basilicata: Help fill in a few blanks for us
- 21 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 22 Palm Sunday in Paris
- 23 Paris airport shuttle recommendations
- 24 Trenitalia has just enabled bookings for summer 2014
- 25 What Champagne House in Reims or Epernay for a day visit?