Travellers: 50s something couple
April 30 – Depart Toronto Turkish Air
May 1 - Arrive Istanbul Ataturk late afternoon
May 2 – Istanbul
May 3 – Istanbul
May 4 – Flight Istanbul (SAW) to Antalya via Pegasus Air – Drive to Ҫirali
May 5 – Ҫirali
May 6 – Ҫirali
May 7 – Flight Antalya to Izmir via Turkish Air – Drive to Selçuk
May 8 – Selçuk
May 9 – Flight Izmir to Kayseri via Pegasus Air – Transfer to Göreme
May 10 – Göreme
May 11 – Göreme
May 12 – Göreme
May 13 – Flight Kayseri to Istanbul SAW via Pegasus Air
May 14 – Istanbul
May 15 – Istanbul
May 16 – Depart Istanbul Ataturk to Toronto via Turkish Air
Prerequisites: We have vices. We smoke & drink & we like to do both from the comfort of a balcony in the evening after dinner. This was a major determining factor in hotel planning. No balcony = no go. Nice bathrooms are a big deal for my wife so I always try to accommodate this as well. My wife also made a major point of wanting to avoid a lot of driving & in particular - twisty mountain roads. Our trip to Sicily two years ago filled her quota adequately . . . We both prefer the older areas of a city versus the new. History & atmosphere win over discoes & vibrant happening scenes with us. Of course, this also means touristy, but we were tourists after all & there is little we could do to hide this fact with attached cameras & a DK in my back pocket.
I started the planning the trip over a year in advance. Fodor’s Turkey Forum was consulted as well as Trip Advisor, Tom Brosnahan’s Turkey Travel Planner & the internet in general. I read Lord Kinross’ The Ottoman Centuries for history & a couple of Orhan Pamuk’s depressing books for ‘feel’. For some of the ancient mood, Gore Vidal’s Creation was my travel book.
An abundance of Star Alliance points allowed for free First Class seating on Turkish Air to the tune of 200,000 points for the trans-Atlantic flights but this required very early booking to get what we wanted. The hotels were booked about six months out & the internal flights about 4 months in advance. Our total for all four internal flights was under $400 CDN. I also had a shortlist of restaurants chosen for every location that I had parsed from Fodor’s Trip Reports & Trip Advisor. And I had pre-arranged two dinners in Istanbul with forum acquaintances.
I pre-booked with Backpacker’s Travel for all of the airport to hotel transfers in Istanbul. See http://www.backpackerstravel.net/
Yes, I was organized . . .
We used the Fodor’s Turkey Guide, DK’s Top 10 Istanbul & Michelin Turkey Map # 758 as our travelling references. A TomTom GPS provided driving assistance & my Blackberry allowed for low usage ‘on the road’ communication.
A big thank you to various Fodorites for their trip reports must be noted with special thanks to otherchelebi for his ‘on the scene’ posts that helped fill in many of the blanks pre-trip. Stay tuned for more on oc later in this narrative.
Note: I will post picture links to this post as I get them organized.
And so it begins . . .
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 파라다이스카지노≪♨≫SKT110.CoM≪♨≫헬로우슈퍼카지노
- 2 바카라사이트추천＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼싱가폴바카라
- 3 슈퍼바카라＼※【SKT700.CoM 】※＼생중계카지노♂바카라사이트
- 4 야마토 ◑홈피:='kss998.com'
- 5 테크노카지노사이트＼※【SKT700.CoM 】※＼온라인카지노◐안전공원
- 6 다빈치 릴게임 ◐ 도메인 :≫tt349.com≪
- 7 바카라사이트추천＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼싱가폴바카라
- 8 로얄카지노주소■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■바카라え바카라
- 9 바카라사이트추천＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼막탄바카라
- 10 태광카지노주소■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■생중계카지노ポ생중계카지노
- 11 바카라사이트추천＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼센토사바카라
- 12 미니바카라■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■온카ぴ온카
- 13 바카라사이트추천＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼고고바카라
- 14 슈퍼바카라추천■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■생중계카지노く생중계카지노
- 15 33바카라사이트■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■슈퍼카지노ら슈퍼카지노
- 16 바카라사이트추천＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼리스보아바카라
- 17 정선바카라자동■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■인터넷카지노ゅ인터넷카지노
- 18 credit and debit cards
- 19 팜스바카라■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■마블카지노つ마블카지노
- 20 바카라사이트추천＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼리스보아바카라
- 21 북미카지노■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■온라인카지노주소ピ온라인카지노주소
- 22 실시간온라인바카라■※■『SKT600.CoM』■※■온카지노パ온카지노
- 23 바카라사이트추천＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼바카라딜러
- 24 바카라사이트추천＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼부산바카라
- 25 바카라사이트추천＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼신라호텔바카라
Turkey: Ottoman Odyssey . . . aka “It’s just a Jumble of Rocks”
Travellers: 50s something couple