I finally booked a trip I posted about a month ago. I'm going to spend 4.5 days in Istanbul in early May before departing for a two-day trip to Sarajevo (one day in Sarajevo and then a day trip to Srebrenica). I'll circle back to Istanbul for 2.5 days before leaving the next day. I really wanted to fit Bosnia in for a couple days -- it's a similar timeline to one I used on a trip to Berlin and Krakow a few years back.
My question now has to do with the neighborhoods I'm staying in in Istanbul. As of now, I've booked a hostel for the first five nights in Sultanhamet. That seems to be the area with more of the historical/touristy sites. I'm going to stay near Taksim Square for the second--and shorter--portion of my trip. I still want to see that area, but it seems like there's more to do on the European side. This way I'll be able to do both without having to go back and forth during my stays.
Does this sound like a decent plan in regard to where I'm staying? Which part of the city has a better nightlife? Any neighborhoods/areas I should make sure I visit? And are there any unsafe neighborhoods or areas where I should be extra vigilant?
Thanks for your help, everyone. This site has been an extremely valuable resource for me over the past few months.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 2 Advice needed for family trip to Belgium and Germany
- 3 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 4 Car rental Malaga to Seville
- 5 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 6 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 7 Train Through Spain
- 8 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 9 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 10 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 11 Italy June 6-16
- 12 What is your favorite Greek Island?
- 13 Help with Algarve resort/ driver and excursions for big family trip?
- 14 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 15 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 16 hill of crosses
- 17 Planning A trip
- 18 Northern Italy in 2 Weeks?
- 19 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 20 Barcelona - Safety/Language/Trip Ideas
- 21 Itinerary for European trip with 18 year old son
- 22 Paging @bobthenavigator and others for Amalfi Coast accommodation advice
- 23 Christmas in London; New Year's in Edinburgh
- 24 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 25 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??