I finally booked a trip I posted about a month ago. I'm going to spend 4.5 days in Istanbul in early May before departing for a two-day trip to Sarajevo (one day in Sarajevo and then a day trip to Srebrenica). I'll circle back to Istanbul for 2.5 days before leaving the next day. I really wanted to fit Bosnia in for a couple days -- it's a similar timeline to one I used on a trip to Berlin and Krakow a few years back.
My question now has to do with the neighborhoods I'm staying in in Istanbul. As of now, I've booked a hostel for the first five nights in Sultanhamet. That seems to be the area with more of the historical/touristy sites. I'm going to stay near Taksim Square for the second--and shorter--portion of my trip. I still want to see that area, but it seems like there's more to do on the European side. This way I'll be able to do both without having to go back and forth during my stays.
Does this sound like a decent plan in regard to where I'm staying? Which part of the city has a better nightlife? Any neighborhoods/areas I should make sure I visit? And are there any unsafe neighborhoods or areas where I should be extra vigilant?
Thanks for your help, everyone. This site has been an extremely valuable resource for me over the past few months.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 2 Camogli and surrounds
- 3 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 4 Comments on Apt Location in Madrid
- 5 Good mobile plan for traveller
- 6 Are DSLR cameras allowed for Papal Audience
- 7 Route des Vins
- 8 Alsace Wine Route during Harvest
- 9 Shorts in South of France?
- 10 Which are the most beautiful tourist attractions, Tenerife Spain ?
- 11 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 12 Les Invalides Night Show
- 13 base for Andalucia
- 14 Any recommendations for a week trip in late October-early November?
- 15 Taxi or Aeroexpress from Domodedovo Airport to center of Moscow?
- 16 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 17 Trip Report - Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia & Herzegovina
- 18 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 19 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 20 Les bons plans de Whathello - St Tropez - Resto
- 21 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 22 limousine services - milan - rome
- 23 Regarding Residence Permit
- 24 Flight from Athens to Santorini- is this enough time?
- 25 Homesaty