I finally booked a trip I posted about a month ago. I'm going to spend 4.5 days in Istanbul in early May before departing for a two-day trip to Sarajevo (one day in Sarajevo and then a day trip to Srebrenica). I'll circle back to Istanbul for 2.5 days before leaving the next day. I really wanted to fit Bosnia in for a couple days -- it's a similar timeline to one I used on a trip to Berlin and Krakow a few years back.
My question now has to do with the neighborhoods I'm staying in in Istanbul. As of now, I've booked a hostel for the first five nights in Sultanhamet. That seems to be the area with more of the historical/touristy sites. I'm going to stay near Taksim Square for the second--and shorter--portion of my trip. I still want to see that area, but it seems like there's more to do on the European side. This way I'll be able to do both without having to go back and forth during my stays.
Does this sound like a decent plan in regard to where I'm staying? Which part of the city has a better nightlife? Any neighborhoods/areas I should make sure I visit? And are there any unsafe neighborhoods or areas where I should be extra vigilant?
Thanks for your help, everyone. This site has been an extremely valuable resource for me over the past few months.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 2 Driving from Spain to Portugal - passport check?
- 3 Campervan in Croatia
- 4 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 5 advance tickets?
- 6 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 7 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 8 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 9 Connection time of 1:25 in Zurich on flight from US. Enough time?
- 10 Reputable Apartment Company in Granada
- 11 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 12 Como Bus to Bellagio
- 13 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 14 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 15 Neighborhood for Dubrovnik
- 16 Venice > Garda > Verona > Bologna thoughts
- 17 Aix en Provence Day Trips
- 18 Cell Phone Question
- 19 Reindeer Migration on NRK
- 20 Greek Islands (small)
- 21 Madrid Hotel; Europa, Preciados or Petit Palace Posada de Peine?
- 22 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 23 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 24 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 25 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich