I finally booked a trip I posted about a month ago. I'm going to spend 4.5 days in Istanbul in early May before departing for a two-day trip to Sarajevo (one day in Sarajevo and then a day trip to Srebrenica). I'll circle back to Istanbul for 2.5 days before leaving the next day. I really wanted to fit Bosnia in for a couple days -- it's a similar timeline to one I used on a trip to Berlin and Krakow a few years back.
My question now has to do with the neighborhoods I'm staying in in Istanbul. As of now, I've booked a hostel for the first five nights in Sultanhamet. That seems to be the area with more of the historical/touristy sites. I'm going to stay near Taksim Square for the second--and shorter--portion of my trip. I still want to see that area, but it seems like there's more to do on the European side. This way I'll be able to do both without having to go back and forth during my stays.
Does this sound like a decent plan in regard to where I'm staying? Which part of the city has a better nightlife? Any neighborhoods/areas I should make sure I visit? And are there any unsafe neighborhoods or areas where I should be extra vigilant?
Thanks for your help, everyone. This site has been an extremely valuable resource for me over the past few months.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Europe's Most Iconic Sights...???????
- 2 Ireland trip planning recommendations - March
- 3 Ireland travel passport question
- 4 Planning a European Trip
- 5 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 6 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 7 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 8 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 9 Help with timeline. Connecting flights in London Gatwick
- 10 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 11 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 12 Aug 2017 - Italy with Boys (12 & 7 yr old)
- 13 restaurants in Marais district
- 14 Norway Itinerary
- 15 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 16 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 17 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 18 Hotels in Kamari or Perissa/Perivolos Beaches - Santorini
- 19 Springtime Adventure in Europe
- 20 Enough time to make connection at CDG?
- 21 Where to spend a week in Italy
- 22 Any Lisbon or Porto trip reports?
- 23 train or plane
- 24 Scotland - Highlands in May or June?
- 25 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?