I finally booked a trip I posted about a month ago. I'm going to spend 4.5 days in Istanbul in early May before departing for a two-day trip to Sarajevo (one day in Sarajevo and then a day trip to Srebrenica). I'll circle back to Istanbul for 2.5 days before leaving the next day. I really wanted to fit Bosnia in for a couple days -- it's a similar timeline to one I used on a trip to Berlin and Krakow a few years back.
My question now has to do with the neighborhoods I'm staying in in Istanbul. As of now, I've booked a hostel for the first five nights in Sultanhamet. That seems to be the area with more of the historical/touristy sites. I'm going to stay near Taksim Square for the second--and shorter--portion of my trip. I still want to see that area, but it seems like there's more to do on the European side. This way I'll be able to do both without having to go back and forth during my stays.
Does this sound like a decent plan in regard to where I'm staying? Which part of the city has a better nightlife? Any neighborhoods/areas I should make sure I visit? And are there any unsafe neighborhoods or areas where I should be extra vigilant?
Thanks for your help, everyone. This site has been an extremely valuable resource for me over the past few months.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 2 Copenhagen to Stockholm
- 3 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 4 LIsbon
- 5 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 6 International Flight Question
- 7 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 8 Ireland in April-Day trips from Galway base
- 9 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 10 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 11 Back from Paris
- 12 Trip suggestion
- 13 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 14 Island hopping Croatia - into nature/hiking
- 15 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 16 Travel insurance for Dutch residents question
- 17 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 18 Dijon in December!
- 19 5 Day trip with wife & teens - Nice to Paris
- 20 Summer Travel order
- 21 Ideas for small group tour - Southern Spain
- 22 Fifty Years Later, Paris
- 23 Island Hopping in the Cyclades
- 24 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 25 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017