I'm planning a 10 day trip from the US to Switzerland and Italy with my spouse and a 3 year and 10 year old.
We'd land in Zurich or Geneva on the 4th of October and were planning on taking a train to Bern straight away so we could wake up there. We'd be buying a 4 day Swiss pass as well.
The 5th, 6th and 7th are dedicated to areas around Bern. We wanted to see the city, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Murren, Montreux even (whichever is possible) and my family loves to hike. How should we go about planning those visits? The best family friendly hikes? The Eiger trail looked good to me. And is Bern a good central location to travel from to those places? or is it better to stay somewhere else and then hop on a shorter train ride? Any other must see spots? How is the weather like in early October?
Also, we're planning to go to Venice from Bern or Zermatt on the 8th. How can my Swiss pass be useful in this regard? I read that the swiss region is covered but I would have to pay the italian portion to Milan (and then onward to Venice)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Arrival Day in Athens
- 2 Italy Itinerary Feedback wanted!
- 3 Madrid to Dordogne
- 4 London Weekly Apartment
- 5 Provence home base, cars, trains, hotel, etc
- 6 Itinerary help for family with young kids
- 7 3 weeks in London, Cornwall and a tiny piece of Wales
- 8 SatNav and GPS systems that show speed cameras are illegal
- 9 Swallows and Amazons! (or a midweek break in the Lake District)
- 10 how to spend 9 nights in Provence (France)
- 11 Overnight Layover -London
- 12 10 days in Barcelona anything different we could do?
- 13 First trip to Europe-Final itinerary
- 14 Scenic drive: Seville-Granada-Barcelona
- 15 International driving permit required in France?
- 16 Bernina or Glacier Express?
- 17 Time to go through customs in Glascow, Scotland
- 18 Andalucia - Food Vocabulary - suggestions, corrections?
- 19 Pre-booking train travel in Spain
- 20 Buying a SIM in Spain and using it in Italy, France and the UK also
- 21 Finalizing Itinerary
- 22 Rent a car in Le Havre, FR
- 23 8 Day trip to Swiss and France
- 24 Destination wedding venue suggestions Tuscany or No Italy
- 25 American looking for any work in Italy