I'm planning a 10 day trip from the US to Switzerland and Italy with my spouse and a 3 year and 10 year old.
We'd land in Zurich or Geneva on the 4th of October and were planning on taking a train to Bern straight away so we could wake up there. We'd be buying a 4 day Swiss pass as well.
The 5th, 6th and 7th are dedicated to areas around Bern. We wanted to see the city, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Murren, Montreux even (whichever is possible) and my family loves to hike. How should we go about planning those visits? The best family friendly hikes? The Eiger trail looked good to me. And is Bern a good central location to travel from to those places? or is it better to stay somewhere else and then hop on a shorter train ride? Any other must see spots? How is the weather like in early October?
Also, we're planning to go to Venice from Bern or Zermatt on the 8th. How can my Swiss pass be useful in this regard? I read that the swiss region is covered but I would have to pay the italian portion to Milan (and then onward to Venice)
Trip to the Bernese Oberland. Help with stay!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tipping in the UK
- 2 Should one go to an iconic place to eat something not very palatable?
- 3 4 days in lake region
- 4 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan Cadorna
- 5 otel.com / metglobal.com is a scam
- 6 What I Did Right... and... What I Learned...
- 7 Bad Experience with Argus Car Hire Insurance offered by them
- 8 Restrictions on Portable GPS Use in the UK
- 9 Adjoining Rooms in Rome?
- 10 7 countries in a month
- 11 Two-city, two-week vacation in late Oct
- 12 Already planning our next trip (Spain/Italy/France)!
- 13 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 14 Trip to Scotland and northern England June 2014
- 15 Where to stay the night between Naples and Matera
- 16 2 full days in Santorini, should we rent a car ?
- 17 floods in Andalucia
- 18 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 19 Want to find host family in Munich, Germany
- 20 INTERESTED IN A HOME EXCHANGE ?
- 21 Guided Tour on Coach vs rail and city tours
- 22 A day in Bordeaux - what to do?
- 23 Good book about 20th C. European history?
- 24 Photography Trip Ideas in Eastern Europe
- 25 2 weeks in Spain