I'm planning a 10 day trip from the US to Switzerland and Italy with my spouse and a 3 year and 10 year old.
We'd land in Zurich or Geneva on the 4th of October and were planning on taking a train to Bern straight away so we could wake up there. We'd be buying a 4 day Swiss pass as well.
The 5th, 6th and 7th are dedicated to areas around Bern. We wanted to see the city, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Murren, Montreux even (whichever is possible) and my family loves to hike. How should we go about planning those visits? The best family friendly hikes? The Eiger trail looked good to me. And is Bern a good central location to travel from to those places? or is it better to stay somewhere else and then hop on a shorter train ride? Any other must see spots? How is the weather like in early October?
Also, we're planning to go to Venice from Bern or Zermatt on the 8th. How can my Swiss pass be useful in this regard? I read that the swiss region is covered but I would have to pay the italian portion to Milan (and then onward to Venice)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?
- 2 Short Spain Trip - questions
- 3 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 4 3 weeks in Italy - Family of 4
- 5 Not a good time to fly into LGW
- 6 How to best reach the Lofoten Islands from Oslo, Norway? (four day trip)
- 7 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 8 AIR BERLIN SALE
- 9 Reliable tour companies for day trips?
- 10 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 11 Train help for Prague
- 12 Iceland Ring Road itinerary
- 13 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 14 driving from prague to salzburg
- 15 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 16 Swiss Travel Pass
- 17 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 18 Europe Travel & Trivia Quiz #138- Bridges, Tunnels!
- 19 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 20 Germany train help!
- 21 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 22 dining on the 25th in Dublin
- 23 Milan to Switzerland for skiing
- 24 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 25 Our Italian Honeymoon (first timers)