Here is an itinerary I've been working on. I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions please. We are two adults in our 40s and one teen and we'll be driving a rental car. We've been to Germany a few times before, but only in Bavaria (Munich - once during Oktoberfest and two other times - Nuremberg, Regensburg, Rothenburg, Garmisch, Berchtesgaden, etc). We want to go to Berlin, Dresden, Bremen on another trip. This time we're focusing on SW - Moselle, Alsace, Black Forest... We like driving and visiting sites, wine, beer - not while driving traditional German towns, of course good food, old town squares and markets, cathedrals, castles, etc. I wanted to include Cologne too on this trip but it might be too much, so we'll save it for some other time (we travel to Europe at least once a year).
So, here it is:
Day 1 - get to FRA airport in the AM, rent car, drive west for 2.5 hours to Cochem, visit Eltz Castle on the way (night in Cochem)
Day 2 - spend day in Cochem: visit castle, wine cellars and tastings, walk around
Day 3 - drive to Trier which is 1 hr away, spend evening there
Day 4 - Trier - oldest city in Germany, with roman ruins, cathedral, nice market square
Day 5 - drive to Strasbourg 2.5 hrs, spend evening there
Day 6 - Strasbourg
Day 7 - drive to Colmar 1 hr, visit chateau du Haut-Koenigsbourg on the way, spend evening in Colmar, drink some Alsace wine
Day 8 - drive to Freiburg 1 hr and spend evening there, visit the cathedral, oldest inn in Germany - forgot the name -, some Baden wine tastings
Days 9 and 10 - Black Forest day trips - Gengenbach, Schiltach, Alpirsbach brewery/monastery - what else? (still spending the nights in Freiburg or area)
Day 11 - drive to Konstanz 1.5 hrs
Day 12 - Lake Constance area (Konstanz)
Day 13 - drive to Ulm 2.5 hrs, spend evening there
Day 14 - Ulm - (some trivia: this town has the highest church steeple. Einstein was born here)
Day 15 - drive to Bamberg 2.5 hrs, spend evening there
Day 16 - more Bamberg, drink lots of smoked beer
Day 17 - drive to Frankfurt airport 2 hrs, return car, hopefully catch a PM flight back to Canada (or even better to some beach destination like Tenerife to extend vacation by a week)
What do you think? Is it too much or too little? Could we squeeze Cologne somewhere, maybe instead of Konstanz? We're thinking of doing this next year in May, June or July.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 릴게임총판 ≪접속주소 :≫vtk15.com≪
- 2 Omonia metro to Piraeus
- 3 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 4 10 days in Paris and......
- 5 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 6 LIsbon
- 7 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 8 Back from Paris
- 9 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 10 London Hotels
- 11 Iceland in 7 days.
- 12 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 13 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 14 London-Help Me Spend Money
- 15 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 16 Luggage Storage
- 17 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 18 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 19 Paris hotels
- 20 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 21 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 22 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 23 Intercity Notte training boarding time
- 24 25th Anniversary in Italy - Spring 2017
- 25 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE