Here is an itinerary I've been working on. I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions please. We are two adults in our 40s and one teen and we'll be driving a rental car. We've been to Germany a few times before, but only in Bavaria (Munich - once during Oktoberfest and two other times - Nuremberg, Regensburg, Rothenburg, Garmisch, Berchtesgaden, etc). We want to go to Berlin, Dresden, Bremen on another trip. This time we're focusing on SW - Moselle, Alsace, Black Forest... We like driving and visiting sites, wine, beer - not while driving traditional German towns, of course good food, old town squares and markets, cathedrals, castles, etc. I wanted to include Cologne too on this trip but it might be too much, so we'll save it for some other time (we travel to Europe at least once a year).
So, here it is:
Day 1 - get to FRA airport in the AM, rent car, drive west for 2.5 hours to Cochem, visit Eltz Castle on the way (night in Cochem)
Day 2 - spend day in Cochem: visit castle, wine cellars and tastings, walk around
Day 3 - drive to Trier which is 1 hr away, spend evening there
Day 4 - Trier - oldest city in Germany, with roman ruins, cathedral, nice market square
Day 5 - drive to Strasbourg 2.5 hrs, spend evening there
Day 6 - Strasbourg
Day 7 - drive to Colmar 1 hr, visit chateau du Haut-Koenigsbourg on the way, spend evening in Colmar, drink some Alsace wine
Day 8 - drive to Freiburg 1 hr and spend evening there, visit the cathedral, oldest inn in Germany - forgot the name -, some Baden wine tastings
Days 9 and 10 - Black Forest day trips - Gengenbach, Schiltach, Alpirsbach brewery/monastery - what else? (still spending the nights in Freiburg or area)
Day 11 - drive to Konstanz 1.5 hrs
Day 12 - Lake Constance area (Konstanz)
Day 13 - drive to Ulm 2.5 hrs, spend evening there
Day 14 - Ulm - (some trivia: this town has the highest church steeple. Einstein was born here)
Day 15 - drive to Bamberg 2.5 hrs, spend evening there
Day 16 - more Bamberg, drink lots of smoked beer
Day 17 - drive to Frankfurt airport 2 hrs, return car, hopefully catch a PM flight back to Canada (or even better to some beach destination like Tenerife to extend vacation by a week)
What do you think? Is it too much or too little? Could we squeeze Cologne somewhere, maybe instead of Konstanz? We're thinking of doing this next year in May, June or July.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 월드카지노•• 吉━┫＼【 WLD333.cℴm 】＼┣━••吉 월드카지노
- 2 Train Question
- 3 What clothes?
- 4 Rome & Florence, 10-12 days or so
- 5 Requesting Suggestions for Venice
- 6 Top Tourist Mob Scenes in Europe
- 7 Who Tips In Paris Cafes and How Much?
- 8 Advice for Florence & Rome with Baby
- 9 2 weeks in Southern Italy
- 10 Florence and Siena Restaurants
- 11 Short trip to Athens and Santorini. Ideas welcomed
- 12 Four weeks in the UK: Critique my itinerary?
- 13 Stay in Saronno to see Como and Milan?
- 14 Cochinillo in Segovia
- 15 One week in Sicily - Taormina, Ortigia, Agrigento & Palermo
- 16 Amsterdam hotel with a canal view
- 17 GPS vs Google Maps
- 18 Berlin bans Airbnb apartment letting
- 19 Once in a life time 3 month Europe Trip
- 20 10 nights in France
- 21 Questions about Italy again
- 22 Spain schedule - reality check please.
- 23 Question about Hostels in Europe during the summer
- 24 Stop between Munich and Cochem (long train ride)
- 25 Uber in Paris: OK now ?