September 17 to October 2, 2008
Pretty crummy-- drizzle, rain, clouds, about 3 days of sun, windy, and relatively cold, between 45 and 50 most of the time. Not the best we've ever had by a long shot. Temps may have reached almost to 60 one day or two.
Four of us--Me, DH, a friend and co-worker of DH and her sister, all between 50 and 65 and relatively well-traveled. We had been to all destinations previously, some recently and some many years ago, but all of the destinations on this trip were new to our friends.
Vienna -- Konig Von Ungarn
Prague -- Cerna Liska
Nuremberg -- Meridean
Wurzburg -- Rebstock
Complete reviews to follow.
Quick breakdown of days spent with hopes that the info will prove helpful for those trying to plan similar trips:
We arrived a day ahead of our friends and spent 6 days in Vienna to their 5.
It was our first European destination 35 years ago and is one of our all time favorites: While there we followed this itinerary:
Day 1- walk about main areas of old town, Stephensdom, Kartnerstrasse, Graben
Day 2- Inner ring area and ride around ring on strassenbahn. Repeat areas of Day 1 for new arrivals
Day 3- Freying market and passage, Votivekirche, University, Rathaus, Volksgarden,
Hofburg area, Opera, Kirche am Steinhof
Day 4- Museum quarter and Spittalberg, Hundertwasser Haus and museum, Urbania and eastern ring area by foot
Day 5- Schoenbrunn and Heitzing, Grinzing
Day 6- Belvedere, Russian war memorial in Schwedenplatz, Naschmarkt, Secession building, Karlskirche, Stadtpark
Prague - 3 days
We love Prague. It's so beautiful, but it has become so packed with tourists that that beauty is getting more and more difficult to get to, so in breaking up our time we decided to devote more to Vienna. It was a good choice.
Day 1- 3 hours or so by train to get there from Vienna, short walk about Old Town square, Charles Bridge and parts of Mala Strana
Day 2- Powder Tower, Municipal building, Wenceslas Square, walk along river to see art nouveau and cubist houses and the Fred and Ginger Dancing building.
Day 3- Castle Hill, Cathedral and Castle, Loretto church. Back to Mala Strana and across Charles Bridge, Kampa Island.
Nuremberg and Wurzburg areas - 5 days
I'd hoped to split 2 days in Nuremberg and 3 in Wurzburg, but our selected Wurzburg hotel couldn't give us 3 days, so I split 3 in Nuremberg and 2 in Wurzburg and it turned out to be, I think, a better selection.
Day 1 - Awful 6 hour train ride to Nuremberg from Prague, explore a bit of city.
Day 2 - Explore city in depth, church interiors, Haupt Market with fall festival, Castle,
Day 3 - Drive to Bamburg Dom with Reimenschneider altar, Rathaus in middle of river, old town. Had intended to go to Coburg and even one or two other small towns but weather, long meal and general malaise caused us to just return to Nuremberg which we'd grown quite fond of.
Day 4 - Drive some of Romantic Road enroute to Wurzburg: Rothenberg ob der Tauber, so terminally cute, drive by Creglingen, walk through Weikersheim with its castle, Bad Mergentheim.
Day 5 - Explore Wurzburg: Residence, churches, Saints Bridge.
Comments on expenditure of time:
Vienna can probably be "done" in as short as three days but will reward 5, 6 or even more depending upon your interests.
Prague is now so filled with tourists that I didn't feel bad getting only 2 and 1/2 days there. But we only scratched the surface and missed showing our friends the Jewish Quarter completely.
Nuremberg makes a fine place to do day trips from, but is itself worth a full day or two.
Wurzburg can be done in a day.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 2 getting to CDG
- 3 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 4 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris
- 5 Stop between Umbria and Firenze
- 6 How many nights to spend in Granada and Malaga & a few other questions
- 7 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 8 Towersey, London
- 9 Italy and Switzerlan Travel Advice
- 10 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 11 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 12 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 13 Biarritz family holiday
- 14 Ireland Trip Planning Advice
- 15 With Locals dinner- anyone done one?
- 16 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 17 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 18 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 19 Ireland in April
- 20 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 21 Need itinerary help! Dolomites to Austria through Hallstat to Venice
- 22 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 23 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 24 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 25 If you had to choose one......
Trip Report: Vienna, Prague, Nuremberg, Wurzburg