September 17 to October 2, 2008
Pretty crummy-- drizzle, rain, clouds, about 3 days of sun, windy, and relatively cold, between 45 and 50 most of the time. Not the best we've ever had by a long shot. Temps may have reached almost to 60 one day or two.
Four of us--Me, DH, a friend and co-worker of DH and her sister, all between 50 and 65 and relatively well-traveled. We had been to all destinations previously, some recently and some many years ago, but all of the destinations on this trip were new to our friends.
Vienna -- Konig Von Ungarn
Prague -- Cerna Liska
Nuremberg -- Meridean
Wurzburg -- Rebstock
Complete reviews to follow.
Quick breakdown of days spent with hopes that the info will prove helpful for those trying to plan similar trips:
We arrived a day ahead of our friends and spent 6 days in Vienna to their 5.
It was our first European destination 35 years ago and is one of our all time favorites: While there we followed this itinerary:
Day 1- walk about main areas of old town, Stephensdom, Kartnerstrasse, Graben
Day 2- Inner ring area and ride around ring on strassenbahn. Repeat areas of Day 1 for new arrivals
Day 3- Freying market and passage, Votivekirche, University, Rathaus, Volksgarden,
Hofburg area, Opera, Kirche am Steinhof
Day 4- Museum quarter and Spittalberg, Hundertwasser Haus and museum, Urbania and eastern ring area by foot
Day 5- Schoenbrunn and Heitzing, Grinzing
Day 6- Belvedere, Russian war memorial in Schwedenplatz, Naschmarkt, Secession building, Karlskirche, Stadtpark
Prague - 3 days
We love Prague. It's so beautiful, but it has become so packed with tourists that that beauty is getting more and more difficult to get to, so in breaking up our time we decided to devote more to Vienna. It was a good choice.
Day 1- 3 hours or so by train to get there from Vienna, short walk about Old Town square, Charles Bridge and parts of Mala Strana
Day 2- Powder Tower, Municipal building, Wenceslas Square, walk along river to see art nouveau and cubist houses and the Fred and Ginger Dancing building.
Day 3- Castle Hill, Cathedral and Castle, Loretto church. Back to Mala Strana and across Charles Bridge, Kampa Island.
Nuremberg and Wurzburg areas - 5 days
I'd hoped to split 2 days in Nuremberg and 3 in Wurzburg, but our selected Wurzburg hotel couldn't give us 3 days, so I split 3 in Nuremberg and 2 in Wurzburg and it turned out to be, I think, a better selection.
Day 1 - Awful 6 hour train ride to Nuremberg from Prague, explore a bit of city.
Day 2 - Explore city in depth, church interiors, Haupt Market with fall festival, Castle,
Day 3 - Drive to Bamburg Dom with Reimenschneider altar, Rathaus in middle of river, old town. Had intended to go to Coburg and even one or two other small towns but weather, long meal and general malaise caused us to just return to Nuremberg which we'd grown quite fond of.
Day 4 - Drive some of Romantic Road enroute to Wurzburg: Rothenberg ob der Tauber, so terminally cute, drive by Creglingen, walk through Weikersheim with its castle, Bad Mergentheim.
Day 5 - Explore Wurzburg: Residence, churches, Saints Bridge.
Comments on expenditure of time:
Vienna can probably be "done" in as short as three days but will reward 5, 6 or even more depending upon your interests.
Prague is now so filled with tourists that I didn't feel bad getting only 2 and 1/2 days there. But we only scratched the surface and missed showing our friends the Jewish Quarter completely.
Nuremberg makes a fine place to do day trips from, but is itself worth a full day or two.
Wurzburg can be done in a day.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Car Rental in Italy: Insurance Needed/Suggested
- 2 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 3 Italy by car
- 4 Spain and Portugal for two and a half weeks
- 5 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 6 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 7 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 8 Off to Ireland again! Solo trip...
- 9 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 10 Fill 4 or 5 days for me please-Spain
- 11 Our Amalfi Coast Adventure—Orlando to Dublin to Naples to Praiano
- 12 Ireland in October?
- 13 Barcelona - Tickets to Gaudi sites
- 14 Barcelona-Valencia- ??? - Barcelona
- 15 Driving through the Pyrenees
- 16 Italy train strike - high speed trains?
- 17 St Andrews or Edinburgh
- 18 Going to Denmark, Norway – what is there to see?
- 19 Itinerary….Need help from Ireland Guru's
- 20 Passport not stamped on entry into Rome, hassle exiting Frankfurt
- 21 Lyon
- 22 Dolomites October 14-18
- 23 Traveling into Frankfurt and catching a flight to London
- 24 Le Marche, Italy
- 25 Driving from Tuscany to Positano - recos needed!
Trip Report: Vienna, Prague, Nuremberg, Wurzburg