For our 25th Anniversary we decided to be really self indulgent and spend a week in Paris. My DH said it was the honeymoon we should have had but we were too broke then.
We flew out of Boston on Sat Jun 23. We still haven't got the knack of picking good seats. These had the advantage of being aisle/window with no one beside or behind us. Unfortunately we were next to the toilets. Also as usual the woman in front of me claimed her seat wouldn't come upright until we landed. Why are people so rude?
As we approached the time of landing my DH told me to put down my book. Then he gave me a diamond ring for my anniversary gift. He hadn’t given me one when we got engaged since as I told you we were broke when we got married! It was so sweet.
Other than the woman who got up out of her seat during landing it was an uneventful flight. We landed at 6am and the terminal was packed. Sometimes I feel sorry for the French to be inundated with all these foreigners. Since we live in a resort area we understand the two sides of an economy based upon tourism.
When we finally picked up our luggage, which had been riding the carousel for who knows how long, we headed for the RER. We bought carnets for the trip into Paris and got my DH un café. I have learned to keep some Euros for that and at least some coins for the toilettes. The trip on the RER was uneventful. Usually we take the AirFrance buses but since we had a small rolling bag each we figured 'pas de probleme'. The one previous time we took the Metro it seemed to be a nightmare of stairs with a heavy cumbersome bag.
We made it to our hotel, Relais St Germain (I told you we were being self indulgent!) and left the bags. As is our custom we headed to the Marche Biologique on Blvd Raspail. We each got a gallette and agreed that the recipe for them in the new cookbook by Patricia Wells were just wrong! We also bought some apricots and cheese, St. Marcellin.
We returned to the hotel and our room was ready. This is where I realize that after 25 years of marriage I don't understand men especially my DH. He had been suffering with allergies before we left home. Did he bring his allergy medication? No, he was feeling miserable so we rested in the room for a couple of hours.
Afterwards we went to the Metro and bought Carte Oranges and a packet of Carnets. One of the most helpful things that we have acquired (and I am sure I read about it on Fodors) is the Metro program for my Axim (a Dell PDA). You select the starting point and the ending point and it tells you how to get there. It approximates the amount of time the trip will take and how many stops on each leg of the trip. It has helped a lot with taking buses which I like because it allows you to see what is around you but isn’t the best in terms of time. So we took the Metro to the Cité and walked down to Berthillon. A classic Framboise & Chocolate Noire for me and café & mure for him. We saw an amateur rolller blade rally take off from in front of the Institute de Arab??. We planned to watch the Friday night rolller bladers but we forgot.
That evening went Pramil in the 3rd for dinner. It was a lovely meal on a quiet evening for the restaurant so we got to chat with the chef. Of course his English was much better than our French. As former restaurateurs it was interesting to discuss philosophy. The bonus was discovering one of the neat Metro stations- Arts & Métier-looks like the inside of a sub with port holes with displays from the Museum.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Norway Honeymoon
- 2 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 3 Schengen Rule
- 4 Speeding ticket in France, need help understanding ticket
- 5 It’s Thursday, it must be Seyðisfjörður. A 10 day Iceland road trip
- 6 Russia in two weeks in December
- 7 9 Days in Spain
- 8 Orvieto - dealbreaker? Hourly bell chimes even in the night?
- 9 Southern Iceland itinerary add-ons!
- 10 Restaurants Barcelona , Seville and Granada
- 11 Our future trip to Greece
- 12 Basing on the Akrotiri Penisula in Crete?
- 13 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 14 Which car rental company to use in Croatia?
- 15 First, jet lagged day, in Barcelona
- 16 Quizz !
- 17 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 18 Pay attention to your watches !
- 19 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 20 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 21 Spanish Medical Providers
- 22 Christmas Day in Granada
- 23 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 24 Finalized my Summer 2018 Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!
- 25 Barcelona to Grindenwald area