I write for a few outlets and wanted to share my recent report on Forbes detailing exactly how to spend three fabulous days, and four nights, in Southern Corsica. The article, including a dozen photos, can be viewed here:
Although we are headed into winter, Corsican hoteliers are hoping to turn the balmy, beautiful island into a year-round destination. Whether you’re planning a getaway next spring or summer, here’s my detailed guide to a quick Corsican holiday.
Napoleon Bonaparte claimed he dreamt of the feral aromatics of his Corsican homeland. I learned as much after remarking, while in the company of someone knowledgeable of the island’s native son, that I could smell Corsica. While standing atop an oversized boulder, mesmerized by the sight of a turquoise bay of poetic beauty, I picked up the aromas of the surrounding brush. At first, I mistook the peppery-balsamic notes for wild rosemary. Known as maquis corse, or Corsican scrub, the dense mix of evergreen herbs, bushes, and wildflowers, blankets nearly a quarter of the island and gently perfumes its air. Fortunately, Corsica looks and tastes as good as it smells . With a spine of rugged mountain peaks, a fringe of spectacular beaches, plus a rich food and wine culture, this wild French island appeals to travelers with a variety of sybaritic interests.
With only three days to visit, I focused my agenda around the southern tip near Porto-Vecchio and Bonifacio. My goal was to create the perfect itinerary for first-time visitors that encompassed stays at luxury properties, meals of fine and regional cuisine, local wines, and afternoons on postcard-worthy beaches.
To read the full itinerary (too long to repost here), follow this link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/lmowery/2016/10/26/southern-corsica-the-perfect-three-day-itinerary-for-sybarites/#49345fd258bc
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help with timeline. Connecting flights in London Gatwick
- 2 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 3 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 4 Krakow glass Christmas ornaments
- 5 About to buy tickets to Greece - advice please!
- 6 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 7 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 8 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 9 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 10 Aug 2017 - Italy with Boys (12 & 7 yr old)
- 11 Norway Itinerary
- 12 train or plane
- 13 Question about National Visa to Tourist Visa
- 14 A Month stay in Southern France
- 15 restaurants in Marais district
- 16 Roughing out a train/car trip from London to Scotland
- 17 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 18 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 19 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 20 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 21 Enough time to make connection at CDG?
- 22 Shoes in Scotland
- 23 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 24 Alsace for 5 days and 6 more days- where???
- 25 Road trip from Barcelona to Rome (1st time in Europe)
Trip Report on A Perfect Three Days in S. Corsica