I write for a few outlets and wanted to share my recent report on Forbes detailing exactly how to spend three fabulous days, and four nights, in Southern Corsica. The article, including a dozen photos, can be viewed here:
Although we are headed into winter, Corsican hoteliers are hoping to turn the balmy, beautiful island into a year-round destination. Whether you’re planning a getaway next spring or summer, here’s my detailed guide to a quick Corsican holiday.
Napoleon Bonaparte claimed he dreamt of the feral aromatics of his Corsican homeland. I learned as much after remarking, while in the company of someone knowledgeable of the island’s native son, that I could smell Corsica. While standing atop an oversized boulder, mesmerized by the sight of a turquoise bay of poetic beauty, I picked up the aromas of the surrounding brush. At first, I mistook the peppery-balsamic notes for wild rosemary. Known as maquis corse, or Corsican scrub, the dense mix of evergreen herbs, bushes, and wildflowers, blankets nearly a quarter of the island and gently perfumes its air. Fortunately, Corsica looks and tastes as good as it smells . With a spine of rugged mountain peaks, a fringe of spectacular beaches, plus a rich food and wine culture, this wild French island appeals to travelers with a variety of sybaritic interests.
With only three days to visit, I focused my agenda around the southern tip near Porto-Vecchio and Bonifacio. My goal was to create the perfect itinerary for first-time visitors that encompassed stays at luxury properties, meals of fine and regional cuisine, local wines, and afternoons on postcard-worthy beaches.
To read the full itinerary (too long to repost here), follow this link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/lmowery/2016/10/26/southern-corsica-the-perfect-three-day-itinerary-for-sybarites/#49345fd258bc
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 From Genoa to Camgoli by Train
- 2 The specific levels of existence
- 3 Booked intercity Flight, Confirmation misplaced
- 4 Should we get a Swiss Travel Pass?
- 5 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
- 6 dinner jackets
- 7 Security -- day pack at museums +
- 8 2 weeks Europe trip
- 9 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 10 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 11 Cordoba Overnight?
- 12 SPB White Nights boat tours
- 13 Need Help with German Train Schedule
- 14 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 15 Dubrovnik + island or Kotor?
- 16 LUCKY TO BE ALIVE !!!
- 17 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 18 Planning trip to Barcelona. Madrid and Tossa Del Mar
- 19 Italy Switzerland Croata Itinerary Help
- 20 Weekend in Galicia -- Sil River Gorge
- 21 Gubbio, Gubbio, wherefore art thou, O Gubbio?
- 22 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 23 Shoes for little feet in Spain
- 24 Torre Sponda apartments in Positano- anyone familiar?
- 25 AVIGNON / DAY TRIP Gordes or Arles
Trip Report on A Perfect Three Days in S. Corsica