I write for a few outlets and wanted to share my recent report on Forbes detailing exactly how to spend three fabulous days, and four nights, in Southern Corsica. The article, including a dozen photos, can be viewed here:
Although we are headed into winter, Corsican hoteliers are hoping to turn the balmy, beautiful island into a year-round destination. Whether you’re planning a getaway next spring or summer, here’s my detailed guide to a quick Corsican holiday.
Napoleon Bonaparte claimed he dreamt of the feral aromatics of his Corsican homeland. I learned as much after remarking, while in the company of someone knowledgeable of the island’s native son, that I could smell Corsica. While standing atop an oversized boulder, mesmerized by the sight of a turquoise bay of poetic beauty, I picked up the aromas of the surrounding brush. At first, I mistook the peppery-balsamic notes for wild rosemary. Known as maquis corse, or Corsican scrub, the dense mix of evergreen herbs, bushes, and wildflowers, blankets nearly a quarter of the island and gently perfumes its air. Fortunately, Corsica looks and tastes as good as it smells . With a spine of rugged mountain peaks, a fringe of spectacular beaches, plus a rich food and wine culture, this wild French island appeals to travelers with a variety of sybaritic interests.
With only three days to visit, I focused my agenda around the southern tip near Porto-Vecchio and Bonifacio. My goal was to create the perfect itinerary for first-time visitors that encompassed stays at luxury properties, meals of fine and regional cuisine, local wines, and afternoons on postcard-worthy beaches.
To read the full itinerary (too long to repost here), follow this link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/lmowery/2016/10/26/southern-corsica-the-perfect-three-day-itinerary-for-sybarites/#49345fd258bc
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 2 Help with Italy Itinerary
- 3 Camogli and surrounds
- 4 travel fan 220v?
- 5 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 6 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 7 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 8 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 9 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 10 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 11 Palermo Apartment
- 12 What's it like staying in a big agriturismo-like complex?
- 13 Barcelona - places to stay
- 14 Need advice on Seville-Tarifa/Tangier-Malaga itinerary
- 15 Croatia, Slovenia & Bosnia Itinerary Feedback
- 16 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?
- 17 SKIP THE LINE TICKETS TO VERSAILLES AND LOUVRE
- 18 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 19 Europe in October!
- 20 B&Bs in Ireland
- 21 Help me choose between two hotels in the Lot
- 22 Moldova and Transnistria
- 23 What is the best flight itinerary from Los Angeles to Granada, Spain
- 24 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 25 Best way to get around Scotland w/out a rental car??
Trip Report on A Perfect Three Days in S. Corsica