I want to begin by thanking all of the various Fodorites that helped us to organize this vacation way back in September of 2012. Your advice was invaluable, and I thought of you often during our beautiful adventure in Italy. As a very new member of Fodor's, I want you to know that our vacation would not have been the same without your expert advice, and I can't imagine ever travelling again without first consulting you.
To begin, here's a quick overview of the details:
Dates: June 10th to July 3rd, 2013
Locations: We spent six nights in Rome before driving east through Abruzzo. We visited the small town of Tossicia, the home of my ancestors, and finished the day in Pescara. We then drove south through Molise, ending up in Basilicata, where we spent the night in Matera. Finally, we drove to Puglia, settling in Galatina for the next two weeks. From there, we mostly enjoyed the beaches of the Ionian Coast, and a day trip to Lecce.
Other Important Details: We are Canadian, vegetarian, and travelled with our amazing two and a half year old son.
Over the next couple of weeks, I will recount the details of our trip, likely in three parts: 1) Rome 2) The Journey South 3) Puglia
I will send along the first part as soon as possible, along with a few pictures. I hope you enjoy, and I welcome any comments or questions you may have.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 sim card
- 2 Charles De Gualle Airport, Paris to Eiffel Tower
- 3 Dr Manahel Thabet- Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 4 Travel Pass Suggestion
- 5 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 6 Any experience with these three private guides for the Alhambra?
- 7 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 8 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 9 European Championship
- 10 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 11 Things I Learned in 3 Weeks in southern Ireland
- 12 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?
- 13 ATM skimmer - good example of a traveler finding one in Vienna
- 14 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 15 Getting from Gare de L'Est to Gare de Lyon
- 16 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 17 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 18 Monti in Rome, your thoughts please
- 19 Scenic full day drive from Bacharach & return?
- 20 12 days, which 4 cities?
- 21 to do with kids 2 1/2 days with a layover in frankfurt
- 22 1 week in Cornwall, England
- 23 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 24 Le Marche, Italy
- 25 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
Trip Report: Canadian Family of Three Spends Three Weeks in Italy