I want to begin by thanking all of the various Fodorites that helped us to organize this vacation way back in September of 2012. Your advice was invaluable, and I thought of you often during our beautiful adventure in Italy. As a very new member of Fodor's, I want you to know that our vacation would not have been the same without your expert advice, and I can't imagine ever travelling again without first consulting you.
To begin, here's a quick overview of the details:
Dates: June 10th to July 3rd, 2013
Locations: We spent six nights in Rome before driving east through Abruzzo. We visited the small town of Tossicia, the home of my ancestors, and finished the day in Pescara. We then drove south through Molise, ending up in Basilicata, where we spent the night in Matera. Finally, we drove to Puglia, settling in Galatina for the next two weeks. From there, we mostly enjoyed the beaches of the Ionian Coast, and a day trip to Lecce.
Other Important Details: We are Canadian, vegetarian, and travelled with our amazing two and a half year old son.
Over the next couple of weeks, I will recount the details of our trip, likely in three parts: 1) Rome 2) The Journey South 3) Puglia
I will send along the first part as soon as possible, along with a few pictures. I hope you enjoy, and I welcome any comments or questions you may have.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Arrival in Berlin on Christmas Day?
- 2 Crete Holiday
- 3 skopsko beer and shopsko salad. my week in macedonia
- 4 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 5 6 Days in Italy
- 6 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 7 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 8 First trip to Europe with teens 14 and 15 Spain or Italy?
- 9 two weeks in England including a mini Fodor get together
- 10 Shuttle from CDG into Paris
- 11 Advice on Taxis vs Transfers in Santorini
- 12 Spain, Portugal, 10 days family of 7.
- 13 London and Paris - 3 days each
- 14 UK 5 weeks How Far Can We Go!
- 15 Bike rental - Aix en Provence area
- 16 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 17 To the top of Europe, and back again.
- 18 Have Toddler, Will Travel
- 19 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 20 Amsterdam Mayor retires
- 21 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 22 Stu Tower
- 23 Single Female Traveler in Italy
- 24 Girl Talk -- Clothing for Amalfi Coast and Rome, 9/28-10/8
- 25 Tasting sherry in Jerez
Trip Report: Canadian Family of Three Spends Three Weeks in Italy