I want to begin by thanking all of the various Fodorites that helped us to organize this vacation way back in September of 2012. Your advice was invaluable, and I thought of you often during our beautiful adventure in Italy. As a very new member of Fodor's, I want you to know that our vacation would not have been the same without your expert advice, and I can't imagine ever travelling again without first consulting you.
To begin, here's a quick overview of the details:
Dates: June 10th to July 3rd, 2013
Locations: We spent six nights in Rome before driving east through Abruzzo. We visited the small town of Tossicia, the home of my ancestors, and finished the day in Pescara. We then drove south through Molise, ending up in Basilicata, where we spent the night in Matera. Finally, we drove to Puglia, settling in Galatina for the next two weeks. From there, we mostly enjoyed the beaches of the Ionian Coast, and a day trip to Lecce.
Other Important Details: We are Canadian, vegetarian, and travelled with our amazing two and a half year old son.
Over the next couple of weeks, I will recount the details of our trip, likely in three parts: 1) Rome 2) The Journey South 3) Puglia
I will send along the first part as soon as possible, along with a few pictures. I hope you enjoy, and I welcome any comments or questions you may have.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 1st time in London - Location wise, which would be the better for us?
- 2 Piazza Navona
- 3 Iceland & Scotland in 7 days: What to do?
- 4 Berlin to Barcelona
- 5 Venice at Christmas
- 6 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 7 Scotland - Hiking - Fort William or Isle of Skye
- 8 Rhine River
- 9 Mysterious EuropCar charge 4.5 months after turning in car
- 10 Arriving 23:35 at Marco Polo
- 11 Where To Buy Caffeine Capsules/Pills In Nice, France
- 12 5 minutes to change trains in La Spezia???
- 13 Athens, Greece--transfer from airport to downtown hotel
- 14 Airtrain from Zurich to Basel info needed
- 15 Macedonia, Greece
- 16 Is International Drivers Permit in Spain Required
- 17 3 weeks in Norway and Sweden. Comments, advice please!
- 18 Suggested Itinerary Low Countries, Scotland, Enfland Lake district
- 19 Paris Side Trip: Mont St Michel & Cancale
- 20 Anybody rented from Allure-Apart?
- 21 Breakfast: London
- 22 Europe Itinerary
- 23 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 24 The highlands
- 25 Loch Ewe in NW Scotland...anyone been?
Trip Report: Canadian Family of Three Spends Three Weeks in Italy