I want to begin by thanking all of the various Fodorites that helped us to organize this vacation way back in September of 2012. Your advice was invaluable, and I thought of you often during our beautiful adventure in Italy. As a very new member of Fodor's, I want you to know that our vacation would not have been the same without your expert advice, and I can't imagine ever travelling again without first consulting you.
To begin, here's a quick overview of the details:
Dates: June 10th to July 3rd, 2013
Locations: We spent six nights in Rome before driving east through Abruzzo. We visited the small town of Tossicia, the home of my ancestors, and finished the day in Pescara. We then drove south through Molise, ending up in Basilicata, where we spent the night in Matera. Finally, we drove to Puglia, settling in Galatina for the next two weeks. From there, we mostly enjoyed the beaches of the Ionian Coast, and a day trip to Lecce.
Other Important Details: We are Canadian, vegetarian, and travelled with our amazing two and a half year old son.
Over the next couple of weeks, I will recount the details of our trip, likely in three parts: 1) Rome 2) The Journey South 3) Puglia
I will send along the first part as soon as possible, along with a few pictures. I hope you enjoy, and I welcome any comments or questions you may have.
Trip Report: Canadian Family of Three Spends Three Weeks in Italy
- 1 Albania for Beginners
- 2 French café offers discounts to customers who remember their "Bonjour"
- 3 Our 'trip of a lifetime'in Europe - trip report
- 4 Budget (or at least Somewhat Inexpensive) Lodging in Bologna
- 5 Chambermaid tipping
- 6 south eastern europe by train and walking
- 7 London for Christmas
- 8 London Theater/re: "Pure Nonsense"? or what?
- 9 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 10 10 Summer days in Spain: Barcelona alone or Madrid too?
- 11 Family European winter holiday
- 12 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 13 TROMSO - 70 years old
- 14 Gate 1 9 day Enchanted Italy
- 15 Day Trips from Florence: Tours or On Our Own???
- 16 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 17 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 18 7 days in Italy over Christmas - transportation and itinerary suggestion?
- 19 River Cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg
- 20 17 Days Route from Amsterdam to Zurich
- 21 Travelling with Alitalia. MIA-FCO-AOI Carry-on or Check-in baggage?
- 22 Istanbul hotels
- 23 USING THE METRO FROM AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV TO Place d'Italie
- 24 2 Week European Itinerary
- 25 2 wk Europe Trip Advice