I want to begin by thanking all of the various Fodorites that helped us to organize this vacation way back in September of 2012. Your advice was invaluable, and I thought of you often during our beautiful adventure in Italy. As a very new member of Fodor's, I want you to know that our vacation would not have been the same without your expert advice, and I can't imagine ever travelling again without first consulting you.
To begin, here's a quick overview of the details:
Dates: June 10th to July 3rd, 2013
Locations: We spent six nights in Rome before driving east through Abruzzo. We visited the small town of Tossicia, the home of my ancestors, and finished the day in Pescara. We then drove south through Molise, ending up in Basilicata, where we spent the night in Matera. Finally, we drove to Puglia, settling in Galatina for the next two weeks. From there, we mostly enjoyed the beaches of the Ionian Coast, and a day trip to Lecce.
Other Important Details: We are Canadian, vegetarian, and travelled with our amazing two and a half year old son.
Over the next couple of weeks, I will recount the details of our trip, likely in three parts: 1) Rome 2) The Journey South 3) Puglia
I will send along the first part as soon as possible, along with a few pictures. I hope you enjoy, and I welcome any comments or questions you may have.
Trip Report: Canadian Family of Three Spends Three Weeks in Italy
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A drive in Europe
- 2 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 3 Where to watch World Cup in Berlin
- 4 London hotel
- 5 need good quiet Paris hotel: possible?
- 6 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague
- 7 A relaxing itinerary in the Basque country?
- 8 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 9 Train Options - Lisbon to Porto
- 10 Need Advice for my first family to Europe
- 11 Germany-berlin marathon
- 12 Soccer/futbol in Madrid
- 13 Wanting to spend 6 months in the French Countryside
- 14 hotels in Seville
- 15 car rental companies Italy
- 16 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 17 tour guides in rome
- 18 one last portugal car rental question
- 19 Amsterdam hotel advice
- 20 Amalfi transport to Pompeii ruins
- 21 Republique - Canal St Martin area safe? And VRBO apartment rental questions
- 22 Mykonos - Ornos beach question
- 23 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 24 How far in advance should I book my car rentals ?
- 25 Champagne, Chocolates and Christmas, but no Chanel - Paris and Alsace