I got married a little over 2 weeks ago, and my husband and I went to Venice for 6 days for our honeymoon. Here is a recap of our trip.
Some of you may recall my previous trips this year, and that I like to cram as much as possible into my trips. I did take some advice this time and slowed down our pace (to a small degree).
I planned the entire trip, as I have been to Venice twice before (last time was 5 years ago), and DH has never been. We didn't do too much preparation before the trip as we were both too busy with wedding planning. I purchased a DVD series on Italian Renaissance Artists (from Teaching Company), and we watched 10 lectures which are the ones that focused on Venetian Renaissance artists.
The guidebooks we brought: DK Eyewitness (Venice and the Veneto), and TimeOut Venice (borrowed from local library), Streetwise Venice map, and a few xeroxed copies from Michelin Venice.
Day 0 - Day 1
We flew AA from DFW-LGW, and connect to LGW-VCE. No, there are no direct flights from Dallas to Venice. As a result, it was an extremely long trip. I did "casually" mentioned to the AA agents that we are on our honeymoon, and no, we did not get upgraded.
The transatlantic flight was on a 767, and no longer "More Room Through Coach." Fortunately, we have 3 seats to ourselves and I got to lie down and stretch out.
We had a little under 3 hours at LGW. We looked at the shops for a while, and I saw several lounge chairs which one can lie almost flat on. I rushed over and claimed one, and napped for about an hour while DH read the guidebooks.
We arrived at VCE just before 4pm local time. We found the ticket office in the airport that sells Allilaguna tickets, and we bought them (€ 10 each). I knew there was a boat at 4:10pm, and the next was at 5:10pm. Unfortunately, we could not make the 4:10pm. When I bought the tickets, the lady at the desk told us there is a boat at 4:40pm (and she assured me it goes to Zattere), so we proceeded to the ferry stop.
It is quite a far walk from the terminal to the Allilaguna stop - about 7-10 minutes. We saw the 4:40pm boat and got in line, but the boat was full before it was our turn. Anyway, I later found out that the 4:40pm boat was a different route and did not stop at Zattere! I was glad that we didn't actually get on that boat.
We finally got on the 5:10pm boat. I dozed off during most of the trip. It was a beautiful day and we watched the sun setting behind Santa Maria Da Salute (I think) on the boat. It was magical.
By the time we arrived to Zattere, it was around 6:20pm. We found our hotel without much difficulty (Hotel American).
As it was late already and we had traveled for over 18+ hours, we decided to go out for dinner and called it a day.
One of our wedding guests recommended La Bitta, so we headed there. It was about a 8 minute walk from our hotel. Unfortunately, it was full when we arrived. We proceeded down the street and picked a small restaurant. There were only a total of 5-6 tables in that restaurant, and none of the diners appear to be tourists (at least not Americans).
Between the 2 of us, we ordered:
Baccala (Stockfish) with polenta
Grilled Mushroom (freshly picked)
Zabaglione with biscotti for dessert
The food was decent, but certainly not a wow. The above plus water & wine came out to € 52.
Osteria S. Barnaba
Dorsoduro, 2736 (Calle Lunga S. Barnaba)
041 52 12 754
Trip Report- yk's rainy Venetian honeymoon (with a daytrip to Padova, Vicneza & Verona)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is this the right way<>?
- 2 Frustrated! 1st trip to PARIS & France in JULY: Need Cheery HELP!
- 3 Two weeks in Paris guiding 4 couples. Need help with itinerary!
- 4 Art in Paris
- 5 Too many Trip Reports
- 6 Tentative Itinerary for London & south east UK
- 7 Dublin & Edinburgh - First timer!
- 8 How much do you spend on travel in Europe?
- 9 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 10 Five-Star Trip on a Three-Star Budget
- 11 15 days in Europe from 15 Dec 2014 to 1st Jan 2015
- 12 First trip to Iceland! Need help planning!
- 13 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 14 Staycation: can't believe I'm doing this
- 15 A few ( stupid) questions 1st time to Paris
- 16 Hotels that we found special
- 17 Crete for 3 weeks....but where?!
- 18 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 19 need help with a european/UK winter travel itinerary (3 weeks)
- 20 Paul Durand-Ruel -The Gamble of the Impressionists - Manet, Monet, Renoir
- 21 Great London Bars with a view
- 22 Rome Food Tour
- 23 Paris, Ile de France...and WHERE? 1st trip to France in June! Oh la la!
- 24 Mr & Mrs Annhig go bummelling round Germany.
- 25 Roaming Romania, Take Two