Newbie traveler here!
I'm currently planning my first trip to Europe, and hoping to get some advice on the itinerary, must-see places, transportation, etc. I've done quite a bit of research on the areas, but would love to hear some first-person advice.
Late September/Early October. I know we'll probably see some rain in Spain, but this is the best time it fits into our work and family schedules.
The People: I'll be traveling with a friend. Both single, in our mid-twenties, and come from pretty similar backgrounds. The big difference is that she's traveled internationally with her family many times while I've never used my passport.
She's letting me take a lead on the planning and is seems pretty content with my food/art focus. I'm a former art student, so for me, this trip won't be complete without at least one Gothic cathedral, some really famous artwork, and some really old buildings. We're also both pretty excited to enjoy pastries in Paris, and tapas in Spain.
The General Plan:
Fly into Paris and get a hotel or apartment for several days. See the sights, eat the food.
Overnight train to Hendaye, then over to San Sebastian. Use San Sebastian as home base for several more days. Daytrips to Pamplona, Bilbao, maybe a wine tour and/or tapas tour...
I'd love to figure out a way to fit a trip to see the cave paintings in Puente Viesgo, but it seems difficult to get there without a rental car, and is a pretty log day trip from any cities we might want to say in.
I'm undecided where we'll fly home from. We can spend all of our Spain time in the Basque region and fly out of Bilbao, or take a couple days in Madrid or Toledo and fly out of Madrid.
- Nothing is booked yet, so our time in each location is TBD. How would you split the 2 weeks?
- We've decided not to do a completely planned tour, but are thinking about some general day tours in Paris and San Sebastian to help us get a feel for each place. Any suggestions on good city tours? I've been considering at the Intrepid Travel Urban Adventures.
- Any tips on Packing, Public transit, Hotels vs. Apartments?
- I've been focused on food and art activities, but totally willing to branch out. Am I missing something big?
TLDR; 2 weeks, Paris, France and Northern Spain. Help!
Thanks in advance!
Trip planning advice - Paris and Northern Spain?
Newbie traveler here!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 New BMW pick-up travel
- 2 London, Edinburgh, and Paris Itinerary
- 3 Voltage in UK and France
- 4 Cinque Terre
- 5 First Solo Trip Spain/ Portugal
- 6 Seeking Ideas/Suggestions for Post Rhine River Cruise in Switzerland
- 7 Madrid - and where else in Spain in March?
- 8 Athens airport question
- 9 Weekend Driving in Rome
- 10 Chamonix - Information
- 11 GPS in France
- 12 Swiss Pass or Eurail Pass worth it for multi-country trip?
- 13 Transfer at Paris (CDG) from terminal 2E and 2D by foot is possible?
- 14 Germany for 3 weeks
- 15 Back from Bologna, trip report
- 16 T-Mobile International Roaming in Europe: a Trip Report
- 17 South of France
- 18 Papal audience-Easter
- 19 Early May...Lisbon to Barcelona or Barcelona to Lisbon? Weather....
- 20 Would this be a good area to stay in Paris?
- 21 A month in Positano - where to stay??
- 22 What to see/do in eastern section of Ireland?
- 23 How far ahead do you buy plane tickets?
- 24 Planning 10 day trip from Athens around Greece
- 25 From Porto to the Douro Valley wine route