spent five nights in dalmatia this past october, arriving from mostar, b&h. Stayed at the Hilton in Dubrovnik. My mistake to stay three nights there. I arrived about 6:30-7PM and walked around the preserved walled old town. Quite a stunning site. I really think one to two nights are plenty. My error was to spend three nights in dubrovnik and forego possibly a night in Hvar. In rertrospect, the medieval town is a nice site, but I did not find much inside those old buildings: the treasury which is hypped by most for me was a let down. I did a day trip to the south which was nice-ok but nothing special. I uysed Cheap Dubrovnik Tours for that excursion as well as for the whole day transfer from dubrovnik to split. I was very satisfied; accomadating and very reasoable prices. Another afternoon took a boat to a small island with a beach--ok but cutting this stay short by a day and hanging out on Hvar I think would have been better use of the few days I spent. The Hilton was fine, quite overpriced ( was with my daughter and her fiance-she is quite fussy about her digs). Everyone every accomadating and honest and nice everywhere. Most meals in dubrovnik not so great. Did have a nice lamb under bell in the south but not at the usual tourist trap everyone goes to but the place next door. The trip up the coast to Spit was quite worthwhile; would have been nice to have cut a day from dubrovnik and spend it in Hvar. Stopped at Ston-highly recommend-also food oysters much better and a fraction of the price. The other cities/towns along the coast also are quite pleasant particularly Omis which is near Split. Again Cheap Dubrovnik tours was very good and reasonable. As for the Hilton in Dubrovnik-nice, breakfast bountiful. Quite expensive set up. Would have been curious if there was anything within walking distance just east(south) of the harbor of the old city. Split I liked but it was older and raining part of the time. Found the place a little more interesting than Dubrovnik. Stayed at the Vestibule within the old city-quite satisfied with accomations. Overall a pleasant trip, honest and hospitable people, happy I did it. Would have spent less time in Dubrovnik and one night in Hvar. Will do a Bosnia/Sarajevo trip report shortly.
trip last october to dalmatia
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip Report -- Spain and Portugal, 2014
- 2 Spending time in Berner Oblerand - Take a side trip to Saas Fee?
- 3 Looking for some advice for an April Itenerary!
- 4 Best london location to stay?
- 5 Where to go in France mid July?
- 6 Travel with kids (6 & 8 yrs) to Germany/Switzerland/Liechtenstein
- 7 Tell me about Manchester
- 8 Euro Quiz #44 - Museum Pourri
- 9 France to Italy advice needed please
- 10 Amboise to Carcassonne, where to stop?
- 11 From Milan Airport to the Last Supper
- 12 Snagged the last ice cave in 2015 - Now What?
- 13 Venice Airport: How Long to Get Through Passport Clearance
- 14 GPS with rental car in Europe
- 15 Greece ( 8 Nights)
- 16 16 day Trip to Spain - Advise on Itinerary
- 17 Family Visit CarrickonShannon (Leitrim) then trip to London/Paris
- 18 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 19 Destination Benson; help with 2 options, please
- 20 Rolling bags in Venice
- 21 Summer Interrupted; Christmas in Germany & Switzerland
- 22 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 23 Two Week Trip from Southern France to Northern Italy
- 24 Getting to Dijon from Paris, quickly
- 25 Liberation of Auschwitz 70 years ago