I'm presently on holiday near La Rochelle with my delightful wife and two children. This is the first time we have taken the ferry and then driven down through France to our charming countryside rental. So, I'm a complete newbie to French traffic, roads etc, etc. Consequently, I was completely taken by surprise when after a pretty smooth run from St Malo that started at 8.30am, we hit Nantes and had the most horrific crawl around the periphique for two hours. Afterwards, fine and shot through to our destination. However, on talking to a local who heard that we are travelling back on Saturday 31st August, he mentioned that this was the last day of the holidays and the whole country would be on the roads. We have to catch a ferry from Le Havre and need to check in by 4pm latest. I had previously thought that leaving at 9am would be fine! I am now wondering whether I should inflict a 4am rise on my family to be on the road by 5am before the masses descend and clog everything up. Or will everyone have the same idea? Will it really be so bad?
Any suggestions as to the best way to make sure I don't miss our ferry?
Many thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 RV Camper Van in Scottish Highlands
- 2 Driving in Portugal with car rented in Spain
- 3 Travel from Madrid to Barcelona with a Side Trip?
- 4 Preliminary Scotland itinerary late September 2017
- 5 London Air Pollution Reaches Record Modern Highs...
- 6 8 days in Spain.. mostly Barcelona, where else should we go
- 7 help with Italy itinerary
- 8 Spain or Portugal for a Beach Vacation?
- 9 Layover, not get on connecting flight
- 10 Barcelona with baby
- 11 Major Ed van der Elsken show in Stedelijk Museum
- 12 Advice 10 day Itinerary Ireland
- 13 Good location for Paris apartment?
- 14 Norway fjord
- 15 Driving (hire car) in Paris, France, Belgium
- 16 Stresa (town), Italy - things to do?
- 17 Itinerary help Germany/Austria/Dolomites
- 18 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 19 16-17 days in Western Europe
- 20 Andalusia with kids What should they read before we visit?
- 21 5 countries in 5 weeks - family trip
- 22 Need help completing my itinerary. So Much to see!
- 23 Pre-Bookings in London?
- 24 Paris or Edinburgh - 3 days which to choose?
- 25 Capri in July
Travelling home through France on the last weekend in August