I'm presently on holiday near La Rochelle with my delightful wife and two children. This is the first time we have taken the ferry and then driven down through France to our charming countryside rental. So, I'm a complete newbie to French traffic, roads etc, etc. Consequently, I was completely taken by surprise when after a pretty smooth run from St Malo that started at 8.30am, we hit Nantes and had the most horrific crawl around the periphique for two hours. Afterwards, fine and shot through to our destination. However, on talking to a local who heard that we are travelling back on Saturday 31st August, he mentioned that this was the last day of the holidays and the whole country would be on the roads. We have to catch a ferry from Le Havre and need to check in by 4pm latest. I had previously thought that leaving at 9am would be fine! I am now wondering whether I should inflict a 4am rise on my family to be on the road by 5am before the masses descend and clog everything up. Or will everyone have the same idea? Will it really be so bad?
Any suggestions as to the best way to make sure I don't miss our ferry?
Many thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 총판토토 ♣kakao: BL45★텔레그램 : kor7m★
- 2 Paris Metro Entrances. How to find?
- 3 Paris in November
- 4 Lyon airport hotel or downtown + taxi
- 5 where to stay between Salamanca and Zaragoza?
- 6 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 7 10-Day Trip Planned..Need Recommendations
- 8 Munich itinerary review
- 9 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 10 Journees du patrimonie 2017
- 11 Football Tickets - Athens
- 12 Barcelona rental for two couples??
- 13 Travelling to Russia during FIFA
- 14 Only 3 days: Asturias or French Basque?
- 15 Last minute trip to Capri
- 16 3nights in Venice
- 17 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!
- 18 Earthquake near Naples
- 19 Budapest to Kosice
- 20 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 21 Best day trips from Perugia and Umbertide
- 22 My 3 days in Venice
- 23 multi city flights to europe
- 24 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 25 Travel from Kensington, London to Cambridge
Travelling home through France on the last weekend in August