I'm presently on holiday near La Rochelle with my delightful wife and two children. This is the first time we have taken the ferry and then driven down through France to our charming countryside rental. So, I'm a complete newbie to French traffic, roads etc, etc. Consequently, I was completely taken by surprise when after a pretty smooth run from St Malo that started at 8.30am, we hit Nantes and had the most horrific crawl around the periphique for two hours. Afterwards, fine and shot through to our destination. However, on talking to a local who heard that we are travelling back on Saturday 31st August, he mentioned that this was the last day of the holidays and the whole country would be on the roads. We have to catch a ferry from Le Havre and need to check in by 4pm latest. I had previously thought that leaving at 9am would be fine! I am now wondering whether I should inflict a 4am rise on my family to be on the road by 5am before the masses descend and clog everything up. Or will everyone have the same idea? Will it really be so bad?
Any suggestions as to the best way to make sure I don't miss our ferry?
Many thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Kechuaa: YAHOO Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT ☎ 1:8OO:540 :683O YAHOO MAIL 24*7
- 2 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 3 How much budget for 2 months in Europe?
- 4 Route Information
- 5 International drivers permit
- 6 Worst flight booking with edreams
- 7 Paris advice with kids
- 8 Sunday drive riviera to St Remy Provence. where to stop? +monday plans
- 9 Anyone stay at Homeaway: Villa Iride in Praiano, Amalfi Coast?
- 10 First visit to London
- 11 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 12 french italian Riviera overnight stop noli, cervo, san remo, menton, other?
- 13 Cycling Nice into Italy along the coast
- 14 Buying Train Tickets at Schipol - Machine
- 15 Scenic drive Bologna to Lucca?
- 16 Visiting Positano and Amalfi
- 17 alcazar question and seville advice
- 18 Lonely Planet‘s Best in Europe list-your thoughts please
- 19 My Topic TitleT 10 card question
- 20 Area for a 2 Week Stay in Malaga
- 21 Amsterdam highlights
- 22 Villa in Italy
- 23 Ireland base towns (and timing) - Connemara/W. Cork?
- 24 Cap Ferrat, Antibe, Luberon?
- 25 8-days in Greece, Rhodes or Crete?
Travelling home through France on the last weekend in August