I'm wondering if you might have some suggestions as to the best route to take from Paris to Madrid.
I arrive into Paris on the 11th March and will need to be in Madrid by the 23rd to meet up with friends and tour Spain. At present, I've booked 5 nights accommodation in Paris, so will have 7 days to make my way to Madrid.
I've toyed with the idea of a train to Lyon (4 nights) > Marseille (1 or 2 days) > Madrid, however this doesn't seem that economical, both financially and time-wise (point-to-point, based off fares on Captainetrain will be 139EUR). I'm also considering staying in Lyon and heading straight to Madrid (109EUR).
Alternatively, I could make a few small trips out of Paris (Tours, Reims, Normandy), and fly out of Paris. Also looked at train travel via Bordeaux, but that seemed a little more cumbersome to manage (plus, 13hr train to Madrid seems a waste of a day!).
A couple of things that may be of note:
I'm a female in my late-20s, travelling alone on my first trip to Europe (exciting and daunting!)
This is the start of a three month backpacking adventure, so I'll be travelling on from Spain to Italy and am planning to attempt Southern France along the way (so a stay at Marseille is not necessary on the first leg).
Any recommendations, suggestions or better alternatives would be much appreciated!
Thank you all in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 2 Berlin - Grouping attractions by location
- 3 First trip to Greece (last minute!)
- 4 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 5 barcelona neighborhood
- 6 Van Crashes into crowded street in Barcelona
- 7 What are your favorite restaurants in Prague? (+itinerary critique)
- 8 Best Greek Island
- 9 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 10 Which Day?
- 11 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 12 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 13 Shorts in South of France?
- 14 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 15 Advice for Honeymoon in Iceland (5 days)
- 16 Corsica and Sardinia
- 17 Les Invalides Night Show
- 18 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 19 Regarding Residence Permit
- 20 ANY SUGGESTION WHICH AREA OF MADRID TO STAY FOR ACCOMODATION
- 21 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 22 Any recommendations for a week trip in late October-early November?
- 23 train from Bucharest to Brasov
- 24 Kroller-Muller Museum
- 25 limousine services - milan - rome