I know many people ask questions about student visas, but so far I have not been able to find an answer to my question.
I am American. I am in France on a student visa. My visa expires on September 10th and I have a date at the prefecture to renew it on September 26th. It was impossible to get one any earlier and normally this wouldnt be a problem, except that I will be traveling outside of the Schengen zone between August 31st and September 15th- meaning that I will be trying to get back into France with an expired visa.
I have tried to get a recepisse from the prefecture to say that I am in procedure and that I can travel, but it is not possible at the prefecture in Paris. I have tried to see if I can have a Visa de Retour from the country that I am visiting, but that is also not possible.
I was advised to not fly back to France in order to avoid border control, but rather to fly to Italy and take a train back to France. In this case, I was thinking to fly to Italy on the 9th of September (before my visa expires) and then take a train to Paris on the 15th.
One of my questions with that situation is, when renewing my visa, if I have an exit stamp saying that I left France on August 31st, but no re-entry stamp, could they deny the renewed visa?
Does anyone have any advice?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting to Giverny
- 2 Alhambra - July Afternoon tickets: Audioguide Q + Planning the afternoon
- 3 Malta or Gozo?
- 4 Paris Metro Question
- 5 Comment on my Sicily Plan
- 6 Organic/Natural Perfumerie in Paris?
- 7 Spring in Spain: Crawling up Mallorca; Pushing Through Toledo
- 8 Planning on taking the train in Germany? Better have a backup plan.
- 9 Taking wine home from France
- 10 Perugia Italy driving
- 11 Trip Report: a Week at Italian School in Verona
- 12 Costa Brava on way Girona to Barcelona
- 13 Traveling alone to France, Netherlands and Germany!
- 14 Train Travel: Paris to Boppard Germany
- 15 Hotel recommendation - Frankfurt Airport
- 16 Italy train travel question
- 17 Norway in a NutShell via Car/Boat
- 18 3.5 days Itinerary in Switzerland
- 19 booking the ferry from Salerno to Positano
- 20 Naples & Amalfi Coast
- 21 How Many Miles Do You Need for That Free Flight?
- 22 booking the train from Pompeii to Rome
- 23 International Driver's license requested at rental agencies in Spain
- 24 Getting to the Latin Quarter from Moulin Rouge
- 25 Stops between Frankfurt and Berner Oberland