I'm planning a trip to the Baltics in the May/June timeframe and will be traveling solo (I'm a woman in my early 50's). Although I've traveled extensively, this is my first trip to eastern Europe (with the exception of the USSR).
My plans are to visit Vilnius, Riga, Tallinn and Tartu, spending 2-4 days in each city. I'd love to get suggestions for hotels in these cities....I prefer to stay in the Old Town sections and definitely not in the business type hotels.
Any must sees/avoid at all costs?
Any suggestions for traveling alone there?
I'm thinking I'd like to take a city-tour in each place plus have picked up the Cooks Travellers guides for each country, which have good walking tours outlined. Any recommendations on city tour companies or guides?
Also, I'd love to get recommendations for the best way to travel between the cities. I'd prefer not to drive....am I better off to fly or take a train?
I'll be visiting friends in Tartu (but will stay in a hotel)....they have recommended that I also plan a couple of days in Helsinki. Is it worth it?
I'm just at the beginning stages of planning the physical aspects of the trip so would appreciate all the input you can provide.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 favorite app for converting US $$
- 2 Trip in September
- 3 London - Vauxhall or Southwark?
- 4 The Dordogne - Stu Dudley's Updated Itinerary
- 5 Venice, Orvieto, Rome with Tweens Part 1.
- 6 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 7 Cornwall - St. Ives, SW Coastal Path-Travel Questions Need Answering!
- 8 Portugal In A Week-The Places You'd Go Back To
- 9 Great Woin's restaurnats in Paris
- 10 SNCF - low price for summer
- 11 Time required from flight touchdown at Heathrow to King's Cross
- 12 Prague tour guide Ron Hoffberg
- 13 Light weight small converter?
- 14 Dublin and Northern Ireland with public transportation
- 15 Short Visit to Munich for the Christmas markets
- 16 Positano Surprise
- 17 Italy Itinerary Advice
- 18 A birthday dinner in Sevilla
- 19 Best of Norway
- 20 Escorted tours Norway
- 21 Munich Hotel Location
- 22 Small towns not too near Paris
- 23 Car rental help in Sicily
- 24 A Scrumptious Slice of Slovenia
- 25 Help with basic itinerary