I'm planning a trip to the Baltics in the May/June timeframe and will be traveling solo (I'm a woman in my early 50's). Although I've traveled extensively, this is my first trip to eastern Europe (with the exception of the USSR).
My plans are to visit Vilnius, Riga, Tallinn and Tartu, spending 2-4 days in each city. I'd love to get suggestions for hotels in these cities....I prefer to stay in the Old Town sections and definitely not in the business type hotels.
Any must sees/avoid at all costs?
Any suggestions for traveling alone there?
I'm thinking I'd like to take a city-tour in each place plus have picked up the Cooks Travellers guides for each country, which have good walking tours outlined. Any recommendations on city tour companies or guides?
Also, I'd love to get recommendations for the best way to travel between the cities. I'd prefer not to drive....am I better off to fly or take a train?
I'll be visiting friends in Tartu (but will stay in a hotel)....they have recommended that I also plan a couple of days in Helsinki. Is it worth it?
I'm just at the beginning stages of planning the physical aspects of the trip so would appreciate all the input you can provide.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Age requirement for hotels in Europe
- 2 Spring Spain Itinerary
- 3 Greenland from the Air trip report, photo gallery
- 4 Planning Advice!
- 5 Driving Vespa's in Florence
- 6 Paris Looses $846 Million in Tourism
- 7 How to divide 4 weeks of lakes and mountains with kids in Italy?
- 8 Wine Harvest in Italy 2016 - when?
- 9 A very late conclusion to Solo Christmas/December trip - Paris
- 10 Our European adventures
- 11 Crete (and Santorini ) Trip Report
- 12 Scotland November 2015
- 13 1 day trip from Nice
- 14 Norway holiday locations
- 15 NORMANDY TRIPS (+ Madrid)
- 16 Iphone Charger in a Car in Europe?
- 17 Help with itinerary
- 18 Banks Mansion Amsterdam hotel
- 19 Calling Flamenco fans including Kimhe
- 20 How to spend a glorious week in Switzerland?
- 21 Day Trip to Santa Margarhertia Ligure, Portofino, and Camogli
- 22 To Varenna from Milan Malpensa: By car or by train?
- 23 Seeking suggestions: Bavaria, Austria, Prague Trip in Fall
- 24 Northern Italy in mid-October
- 25 Bellagio Accomodations in October