I'm planning a trip to the Baltics in the May/June timeframe and will be traveling solo (I'm a woman in my early 50's). Although I've traveled extensively, this is my first trip to eastern Europe (with the exception of the USSR).
My plans are to visit Vilnius, Riga, Tallinn and Tartu, spending 2-4 days in each city. I'd love to get suggestions for hotels in these cities....I prefer to stay in the Old Town sections and definitely not in the business type hotels.
Any must sees/avoid at all costs?
Any suggestions for traveling alone there?
I'm thinking I'd like to take a city-tour in each place plus have picked up the Cooks Travellers guides for each country, which have good walking tours outlined. Any recommendations on city tour companies or guides?
Also, I'd love to get recommendations for the best way to travel between the cities. I'd prefer not to drive....am I better off to fly or take a train?
I'll be visiting friends in Tartu (but will stay in a hotel)....they have recommended that I also plan a couple of days in Helsinki. Is it worth it?
I'm just at the beginning stages of planning the physical aspects of the trip so would appreciate all the input you can provide.
Traveling Solo to the Baltics
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Any suggestions for accomodations in Venice Italy mid June?
- 2 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 3 How far in advance should I book my car rentals ?
- 4 Easter week/ Semana Santa in Avila, Toledo, Segovia
- 5 Paris in April?
- 6 Republique - Canal St Martin area safe? And VRBO apartment rental questions
- 7 RFID wallets do they really work?
- 8 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 9 Killing time in Positano without shopping or beachtime
- 10 Spontaneous trip to Ireland
- 11 Cordoba -- What to do on a Monday?
- 12 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 13 4 night stay for 5 in interlaken
- 14 France Itinerary for 2 months: Please critique and advise!
- 15 Italy Apartment What To Bring
- 16 Augsburg with kids
- 17 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 18 He said , she said
- 19 Wanting to spend 6 months in the French Countryside
- 20 Recommendation for lovely italian town?
- 21 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 22 Pix from Dresden Trip
- 23 Italy Roma Card, Florence Card Recommended? Train Pass?
- 24 Are we likely to encounter Dynamic Currency Conversion in Andalucia?
- 25 Sardinia 5 - 7 night, first time in March please help