I'm planning a trip to the Baltics in the May/June timeframe and will be traveling solo (I'm a woman in my early 50's). Although I've traveled extensively, this is my first trip to eastern Europe (with the exception of the USSR).
My plans are to visit Vilnius, Riga, Tallinn and Tartu, spending 2-4 days in each city. I'd love to get suggestions for hotels in these cities....I prefer to stay in the Old Town sections and definitely not in the business type hotels.
Any must sees/avoid at all costs?
Any suggestions for traveling alone there?
I'm thinking I'd like to take a city-tour in each place plus have picked up the Cooks Travellers guides for each country, which have good walking tours outlined. Any recommendations on city tour companies or guides?
Also, I'd love to get recommendations for the best way to travel between the cities. I'd prefer not to drive....am I better off to fly or take a train?
I'll be visiting friends in Tartu (but will stay in a hotel)....they have recommended that I also plan a couple of days in Helsinki. Is it worth it?
I'm just at the beginning stages of planning the physical aspects of the trip so would appreciate all the input you can provide.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 France to stop making foie grois
- 2 What neighborhood to stay in Paris?
- 3 First time Europe trip for family of 4
- 4 Dover queues
- 5 Sevilla to Cordoba Day Trip: How many hours needed?
- 6 Base City for N Europe Layover
- 7 French Gov't Passes New Labor Law Despite...
- 8 Leipzig, Dresden, Meissen, Bautzen, etc.
- 9 How did you or your family ended up in the country you are living now?
- 10 Night Walk, food and Shopping in Rome
- 11 Naples or Genoa
- 12 Amsterdam bike rides and maps
- 13 Who is up for an informal GTG in Paris between Oct 15-22
- 14 From London to Paris to US
- 15 Day Trip from Lausanne
- 16 3 week Italy trip with 12 and 14 year old - 2017
- 17 Greece Experts
- 18 Passport question - carry with or leave at hotel?
- 19 Short, one day trip to Sighișoara, what do you recommend?
- 20 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 21 The nieces take Bruce and Marija to Paris, Venice and London
- 22 Ireland driving itinerary
- 23 Greece Itinerary
- 24 Germany and Austria trip report
- 25 Paris Museum Pass and Skip the Line