I'm planning a trip to the Baltics in the May/June timeframe and will be traveling solo (I'm a woman in my early 50's). Although I've traveled extensively, this is my first trip to eastern Europe (with the exception of the USSR).
My plans are to visit Vilnius, Riga, Tallinn and Tartu, spending 2-4 days in each city. I'd love to get suggestions for hotels in these cities....I prefer to stay in the Old Town sections and definitely not in the business type hotels.
Any must sees/avoid at all costs?
Any suggestions for traveling alone there?
I'm thinking I'd like to take a city-tour in each place plus have picked up the Cooks Travellers guides for each country, which have good walking tours outlined. Any recommendations on city tour companies or guides?
Also, I'd love to get recommendations for the best way to travel between the cities. I'd prefer not to drive....am I better off to fly or take a train?
I'll be visiting friends in Tartu (but will stay in a hotel)....they have recommended that I also plan a couple of days in Helsinki. Is it worth it?
I'm just at the beginning stages of planning the physical aspects of the trip so would appreciate all the input you can provide.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Greece Travel Advice
- 2 Lisbon Airport - A Huge Mess
- 3 4 weeks in Italy July with children
- 4 Monti in Rome, your thoughts please
- 5 Searching for beach town in Amalfi area for summer holiday
- 6 European Championship
- 7 Can't go to Ravello so....where?
- 8 Honeymoon hotel in Montreux/Vevey
- 9 ATM skimmer - good example of a traveler finding one in Vienna
- 10 Charles De Gualle Airport, Paris to Eiffel Tower
- 11 Quaint Towns within 2hr Driving from Amsterdam
- 12 Normandy - driving trip
- 13 4 days driving holiday to rural North England.
- 14 Best/Most Scenic Route to Annecy, France from Amsterdam
- 15 12 days, which 4 cities?
- 16 Travel Pass Suggestion
- 17 Need help with Ligurian/CT itinerary
- 18 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 19 Getting from Gare de L'Est to Gare de Lyon
- 20 Reflections on our Trip to Barcelona, Languedoc, Dordogne and Paris
- 21 sim card
- 22 Dr Manahel Thabet- Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 23 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 24 Any experience with these three private guides for the Alhambra?
- 25 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids