I'm planning a trip to the Baltics in the May/June timeframe and will be traveling solo (I'm a woman in my early 50's). Although I've traveled extensively, this is my first trip to eastern Europe (with the exception of the USSR).
My plans are to visit Vilnius, Riga, Tallinn and Tartu, spending 2-4 days in each city. I'd love to get suggestions for hotels in these cities....I prefer to stay in the Old Town sections and definitely not in the business type hotels.
Any must sees/avoid at all costs?
Any suggestions for traveling alone there?
I'm thinking I'd like to take a city-tour in each place plus have picked up the Cooks Travellers guides for each country, which have good walking tours outlined. Any recommendations on city tour companies or guides?
Also, I'd love to get recommendations for the best way to travel between the cities. I'd prefer not to drive....am I better off to fly or take a train?
I'll be visiting friends in Tartu (but will stay in a hotel)....they have recommended that I also plan a couple of days in Helsinki. Is it worth it?
I'm just at the beginning stages of planning the physical aspects of the trip so would appreciate all the input you can provide.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Whathello Paris
- 2 One free day in Barcelona
- 3 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 4 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 5 Multiplug, Surge Protector needed?
- 6 London and Paris - 3 days each
- 7 Letter from the Belgian Embassy
- 8 Aix-en-Provence for a day
- 9 Arrival in Berlin on Christmas Day?
- 10 Can I buy a Sim card at FCO? Terminal 3
- 11 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 12 Bordeaux to Nice
- 13 Travel in Europe
- 14 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 15 Possible French strike on 9/21
- 16 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 17 sylvenstein road in Bavaria
- 18 Athens Help
- 19 Crete Holiday
- 20 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 21 Rome to Venice
- 22 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 23 November in Rome
- 24 Rouen or Rennes to pick up Rental Car
- 25 Granada in April; add Malaga?