I'm planning a trip to the Baltics in the May/June timeframe and will be traveling solo (I'm a woman in my early 50's). Although I've traveled extensively, this is my first trip to eastern Europe (with the exception of the USSR).
My plans are to visit Vilnius, Riga, Tallinn and Tartu, spending 2-4 days in each city. I'd love to get suggestions for hotels in these cities....I prefer to stay in the Old Town sections and definitely not in the business type hotels.
Any must sees/avoid at all costs?
Any suggestions for traveling alone there?
I'm thinking I'd like to take a city-tour in each place plus have picked up the Cooks Travellers guides for each country, which have good walking tours outlined. Any recommendations on city tour companies or guides?
Also, I'd love to get recommendations for the best way to travel between the cities. I'd prefer not to drive....am I better off to fly or take a train?
I'll be visiting friends in Tartu (but will stay in a hotel)....they have recommended that I also plan a couple of days in Helsinki. Is it worth it?
I'm just at the beginning stages of planning the physical aspects of the trip so would appreciate all the input you can provide.
Traveling Solo to the Baltics
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 2 Looking for Suggestions - 12 Day Agenda for Greece
- 3 from Munchen train to Romerberg
- 4 Italy tours
- 5 Mr & Mrs Annhig go bummelling round Germany.
- 6 Air France strike
- 7 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 8 Scottish Passport
- 9 BARCELONA: renting a car to Costa Brava
- 10 Travel insurance, interruption or cancelation?
- 11 California touring rock thrash band, France and Italy
- 12 Questions About Croatia
- 13 Oxford or Cambridge?
- 14 paris apartment opinion airbnb
- 15 3 adults in a Triple room at Hotel Attalos- crazy?
- 16 lauterbrunnen-wengen 4 days
- 17 Best day trips from Paris
- 18 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 19 Rheinland-Pfalz Day Pass & Rhine Cruise
- 20 French 2015 summer school vacation
- 21 Advance Train Tickets for England - Buying By Phone from U.S.?
- 22 Romania photo gallery Bucharest Brasov Constanta
- 23 Meteora Monasteries: visit sequence suggestions?
- 24 Best area to stay in Dublin for someone in a wheelchair
- 25 Ski to Verbier and Courmayeur, is it possible without a car?