I hope you can help me resolve a travel planning problem. We are relocating to Italy and are looking for a way to transport our 10 lb dog from Southhamton, UK to Florence, Italy. We adopted our dog from a shelter and he has always had some hyperactivity and fear of confined spaces issues that we haven't been able to resolve. For that reason flying is not an option for us, as he would need to be able to sit quietly in a cage at our feet-we have tried, it just won't work. We are looking for options via cruise/ferry/car rental/train.
The quickest trans-channel option, the Eurostar train from London to Paris does not accept dogs (unless they are certified companion dogs). That would have been the best way since Paris has great train connections to Italy.
Has anyone used an alternative train route from th UK to France, Belgium or Germany with a dog?
Has anyone rented a car one way from London to mainland Europe (Germany, Belgium, France, etc.) - is that an option at all?
Renting a car one way would be great because when you cross the channel by ferry in your own car, the dog is allowed to stay with you. If you are an on foot passenger, it seems that only the London to Amsterdam ferry accommodates dogs (puts them in kennels for the duration of the crossing though). This would be our last resort option, but we are looking for other ones.
We are really stuck with our planning, so we are very much looking forward to your advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Positano to Maori drive or ferry and how much visiting time?
- 2 Organizing our 8 day Roman visit
- 3 Visa Free Entry To Spain
- 4 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 5 Favorite restaurants in Provence???
- 6 GERMANY, MID-RHINE & MUNICH
- 7 Prague itinerary advice
- 8 Help / Day Planning Required ...
- 9 Following the Canadian Liberation Route in the Netherlands
- 10 5 days in the Morvan (Burgundy)
- 11 Self drive tour companies
- 12 Dordogne Itinerary - Do I Need Another Day?
- 13 Forte dei Marmi with kids.....
- 14 Vineyard recommendations near Piacenza? La Stoppa or Marchese Malaspina?
- 15 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 16 Italian lakes
- 17 Advice needed- Sardinia or Costa Brava (again) in August
- 18 Layover, not get on connecting flight
- 19 Croatia... Is dubrovnik a must?
- 20 Ideas for driving from Barcelona to Bordeaux
- 21 Italy - Car vs Train: Milan, Cinque Terre, Lalyake District in March
- 22 Oslo-Flam-Borgund-Balestrand in one day?
- 23 10 day Italy
- 24 Question re best time of day to visit Keukenhof
- 25 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay