I hope you can help me resolve a travel planning problem. We are relocating to Italy and are looking for a way to transport our 10 lb dog from Southhamton, UK to Florence, Italy. We adopted our dog from a shelter and he has always had some hyperactivity and fear of confined spaces issues that we haven't been able to resolve. For that reason flying is not an option for us, as he would need to be able to sit quietly in a cage at our feet-we have tried, it just won't work. We are looking for options via cruise/ferry/car rental/train.
The quickest trans-channel option, the Eurostar train from London to Paris does not accept dogs (unless they are certified companion dogs). That would have been the best way since Paris has great train connections to Italy.
Has anyone used an alternative train route from th UK to France, Belgium or Germany with a dog?
Has anyone rented a car one way from London to mainland Europe (Germany, Belgium, France, etc.) - is that an option at all?
Renting a car one way would be great because when you cross the channel by ferry in your own car, the dog is allowed to stay with you. If you are an on foot passenger, it seems that only the London to Amsterdam ferry accommodates dogs (puts them in kennels for the duration of the crossing though). This would be our last resort option, but we are looking for other ones.
We are really stuck with our planning, so we are very much looking forward to your advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hiking the Cinque Terre Trails?
- 2 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 3 Renting a car in Greece
- 4 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 5 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 6 Spain - day driver advice
- 7 Stuck in Paris
- 8 Exploring Lisbon & where else?
- 9 Greece
- 10 Ex-pats with young kids
- 11 Iceland france spain
- 12 Ludwig Castles
- 13 Help on ancient history route
- 14 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 15 London with Teens Trip Report
- 16 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 17 Paris hotel
- 18 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 19 Spanish food - not that special?
- 20 15 day honeymoon trip in December
- 21 Maximizing Norway time
- 22 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 23 How to travel from Thessaloniki airport to Halkidiki
- 24 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 25 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice