I hope you can help me resolve a travel planning problem. We are relocating to Italy and are looking for a way to transport our 10 lb dog from Southhamton, UK to Florence, Italy. We adopted our dog from a shelter and he has always had some hyperactivity and fear of confined spaces issues that we haven't been able to resolve. For that reason flying is not an option for us, as he would need to be able to sit quietly in a cage at our feet-we have tried, it just won't work. We are looking for options via cruise/ferry/car rental/train.
The quickest trans-channel option, the Eurostar train from London to Paris does not accept dogs (unless they are certified companion dogs). That would have been the best way since Paris has great train connections to Italy.
Has anyone used an alternative train route from th UK to France, Belgium or Germany with a dog?
Has anyone rented a car one way from London to mainland Europe (Germany, Belgium, France, etc.) - is that an option at all?
Renting a car one way would be great because when you cross the channel by ferry in your own car, the dog is allowed to stay with you. If you are an on foot passenger, it seems that only the London to Amsterdam ferry accommodates dogs (puts them in kennels for the duration of the crossing though). This would be our last resort option, but we are looking for other ones.
We are really stuck with our planning, so we are very much looking forward to your advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 2 London Hotels
- 3 Europe itinerary questions
- 4 Intercity Notte training boarding time
- 5 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 6 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 7 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 8 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 9 Back from Paris
- 10 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 11 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 12 1 month in Europe
- 13 Paris hotels
- 14 Gulet - Croatia vs Turkey vs Greece
- 15 10 days in Paris and......
- 16 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 17 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 18 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 19 Is winter nice season to visit Hallstatt, Austria ?
- 20 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 21 London-Help Me Spend Money
- 22 Omonia metro to Piraeus
- 23 LIsbon
- 24 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 25 Iceland in 7 days.