My husband, 16 yo son and I will arrive in Amsterdam early June at about 11, rent a car, and are heading for a few days in Provence. My initial plan, to minimize jet lag challenges while driving, is to go to Luxembourg or environs the 1st night, Lyon the 2nd night, and then we have three more nights to explore Provence, before we must be in Merligen, Switzerland (the next evening, so we can take our time on the way) to meet some friends. I was considering one night in Arles, then two nights further East (preferably in one place?) to take day trips from. Suggestions of towns or inexpensive but decent hotels on this route? We don't mind driving, like historic sites, hiking, markets, good market food, local music, bird watching, the simple beauty of a landscape or a sunset. We have a small budget, would prefer not to spend more than $100 or so a night, and would definitely not mind even less. I welcome advice on this itinerary and any budget conscious advice for lodging, food, and simple pleasures. Thank you!
Traveling from Amsterdam to Provence - itinerary ok?
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice
- 2 Spain itinerary complete - suggestions for inexpensive lodging?
- 3 Spain - Andalucia
- 4 Gogartys, Dublin
- 5 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 6 Nice to St Remy overnight stop in Cassis?
- 7 After Helsinki, where to next?
- 8 Europe with young teens
- 9 Medieval Tallinn
- 10 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 11 Le Marche and Rome - Part 2 - Urbino
- 12 Where to rent car in Munich near train station?
- 13 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 14 London – five days with two teen boys
- 15 Where to stay in Copenhagen
- 16 Euro Train
- 17 Planning 4 nights S / SE of London for my parents in their late 60s
- 18 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 19 15 days in Europe,
- 20 Alsa Bus between Portugal and Spain
- 21 Can romans help me?
- 22 Day Trips from Florence: Tours or On Our Own???
- 23 2 Week(ish) Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help - First Time Europe Travelers
- 24 Planning a holiday
- 25 Sicily 10 days