My husband, 16 yo son and I will arrive in Amsterdam early June at about 11, rent a car, and are heading for a few days in Provence. My initial plan, to minimize jet lag challenges while driving, is to go to Luxembourg or environs the 1st night, Lyon the 2nd night, and then we have three more nights to explore Provence, before we must be in Merligen, Switzerland (the next evening, so we can take our time on the way) to meet some friends. I was considering one night in Arles, then two nights further East (preferably in one place?) to take day trips from. Suggestions of towns or inexpensive but decent hotels on this route? We don't mind driving, like historic sites, hiking, markets, good market food, local music, bird watching, the simple beauty of a landscape or a sunset. We have a small budget, would prefer not to spend more than $100 or so a night, and would definitely not mind even less. I welcome advice on this itinerary and any budget conscious advice for lodging, food, and simple pleasures. Thank you!
Traveling from Amsterdam to Provence - itinerary ok?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What to wear
- 2 Fashion for larger man?
- 3 Eating in France-two new books
- 4 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 5 german rail ticket question
- 6 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 7 Malmaison - how to get there from Paris
- 8 Travel from Split to Zadar
- 9 Transportation from Airport in Reykjavik to downtown hotel
- 10 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 11 Madrid and London
- 12 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 13 Three days in Spain
- 14 Yacht trip on coast of Spain
- 15 1 week in Croatia
- 16 I Go to Pieces — An Italy Trip Report
- 17 Trip to Iceland
- 18 Amsterdam Berlin Bus companies BestBusTravel
- 19 Has anyone visited Tinos?
- 20 Picasso Museum-Paris
- 21 Barcelona Airport to Las Ramblas / recommended transportation??
- 22 Fjords, How To?
- 23 16 days in Paris, not sure London or Italy? ?
- 24 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 25 London neighborhood suggestions