My husband, 16 yo son and I will arrive in Amsterdam early June at about 11, rent a car, and are heading for a few days in Provence. My initial plan, to minimize jet lag challenges while driving, is to go to Luxembourg or environs the 1st night, Lyon the 2nd night, and then we have three more nights to explore Provence, before we must be in Merligen, Switzerland (the next evening, so we can take our time on the way) to meet some friends. I was considering one night in Arles, then two nights further East (preferably in one place?) to take day trips from. Suggestions of towns or inexpensive but decent hotels on this route? We don't mind driving, like historic sites, hiking, markets, good market food, local music, bird watching, the simple beauty of a landscape or a sunset. We have a small budget, would prefer not to spend more than $100 or so a night, and would definitely not mind even less. I welcome advice on this itinerary and any budget conscious advice for lodging, food, and simple pleasures. Thank you!
Traveling from Amsterdam to Provence - itinerary ok?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 England's Ruined Abbeys
- 2 Scotland November 2015
- 3 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 4 London - Paris - Venice - Rome in 21 Days
- 5 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 6 Best places to stay in Bristol?
- 7 All Set To Go!!
- 8 Schengen Visa Rules
- 9 Taxi or Tube from LHR to Gloucester Road Tube?
- 10 Transportation from Athens Airport to Syntagma
- 11 Ideas for Itinerary from Frankfurt
- 12 N Ireland / Ireland driving
- 13 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 14 2 weeks Bavaria - December 2015
- 15 Southern Spain
- 16 Five Nights in Budapest: A Quick Winter Getaway
- 17 Euro Trivia Quiz #12 - Know Your Rivers?
- 18 Ireland / N Ireland Chauffer/Guide
- 19 Since Paris is ALWAYS good idea
- 20 Recommended overnight stops on Iceland ring road
- 21 Hotel or B&B Recommendations for Chamonix, Lyon & Paris
- 22 Ireland / N Ireland clothing recommendations
- 23 London Experts - What do you think of this apartment?
- 24 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 25 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?