I was wondering if anyone can confidently inform me about the rules regarding traveling around Europe before beginning a study abroad program with a study visa.
I will be doing an exchange through my master's program in Spain, and am in the nightmare process of attaining a Spanish study visa from the consulate in Miami.
My partner is Italian, and I will be staying in Italy with him for the next 7 weeks as a tourist. Then I will return home for a couple weeks (hopefully to pick up my visa), and will re-enter Europe.
I was planning to fly into Italy in early August and stay with him for another month before starting my program in Barcelona. However, I understand this means that I will be stamped as a tourist, and will not have another opportunity to have my Spanish visa stamped since there are no immigration procedures when traveling between Italy and Spain.
So, do I need to leave the Schengen zone between going from Italy to Spain in order to get the study visa stamped by arriving on an international flight into Spain? To avoid the cost of this, has anyone simply gone to an immigration office purposely when arriving the country of study, to be officially stamped in?
Would it be more advisable to first fly into Spain when I return in early August, get the student visa stamped, spend a few days to get my residency or to establish myself there, and then fly back to Italy to spend the month with him, as part of travel days allotted under my student visa?
I also read something somewhere about only 5 travel days in other Schengen countries being allowed for study visas - I assume this means prior to getting stamped and landing in your study country, and not throughout the entire period of study, because that would be pretty stingy!
If anyone has done anything similar and can inform me, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Travel to Italy prior to study abroad in Spain, Study Visa
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy + Greece in 14 days
- 2 Amsterdam New Years Even Recommendations
- 3 Bus Tour with a toddler
- 4 Dublin, love it or hate it? please tell me why
- 5 I lost the thread to respond about th Arles Amphetheatre
- 6 Rome, Florence, Pisa, Cinque Terre, Venice, Florence
- 7 DIRECT trains from Rome FCO Airport to Venice start 12/14/2014
- 8 Andalucia - very early trip thinking - reactions?
- 9 Airport ATMs
- 10 N Ireland / Ireland driving
- 11 All Set To Go!!
- 12 American Express
- 13 29 day Itinerary for southern and eastern France
- 14 Suggestions on things to do after Sunday Roast
- 15 Help with European vacation plan
- 16 Upgrading second class Swiss pass to first class for individual train rides
- 17 Our October trip to Andalucia!
- 18 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 19 Has anyone tried Athens Welcome Pickups?
- 20 Favorite London spot for roast beef and Yorkshire pudding?
- 21 Taxi or Tube from LHR to Gloucester Road Tube?
- 22 Story of the German Christmas star
- 23 Charles de Gaulle to Gare du Nord with limitations?
- 24 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 25 Three ferries to Mull