I was wondering if anyone can confidently inform me about the rules regarding traveling around Europe before beginning a study abroad program with a study visa.
I will be doing an exchange through my master's program in Spain, and am in the nightmare process of attaining a Spanish study visa from the consulate in Miami.
My partner is Italian, and I will be staying in Italy with him for the next 7 weeks as a tourist. Then I will return home for a couple weeks (hopefully to pick up my visa), and will re-enter Europe.
I was planning to fly into Italy in early August and stay with him for another month before starting my program in Barcelona. However, I understand this means that I will be stamped as a tourist, and will not have another opportunity to have my Spanish visa stamped since there are no immigration procedures when traveling between Italy and Spain.
So, do I need to leave the Schengen zone between going from Italy to Spain in order to get the study visa stamped by arriving on an international flight into Spain? To avoid the cost of this, has anyone simply gone to an immigration office purposely when arriving the country of study, to be officially stamped in?
Would it be more advisable to first fly into Spain when I return in early August, get the student visa stamped, spend a few days to get my residency or to establish myself there, and then fly back to Italy to spend the month with him, as part of travel days allotted under my student visa?
I also read something somewhere about only 5 travel days in other Schengen countries being allowed for study visas - I assume this means prior to getting stamped and landing in your study country, and not throughout the entire period of study, because that would be pretty stingy!
If anyone has done anything similar and can inform me, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome, Florence, Venice and back to Rome in 5 days...doable?
- 2 30 Days in France with Family (6 y/o, 23 mo), what city to stay?
- 3 Moscow and St Petersburg
- 4 cash or plastic in Greece
- 5 The unrequested appetizers in Portugal
- 6 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 7 Rome and Venice in December
- 8 Florence and Siena Restaurants
- 9 Current Paris vacation rental news...
- 10 Spain schedule - reality check please.
- 11 Plitvice Lakes - is it worth it for a short visit?
- 12 Please Help! Europe in 5 days!
- 13 Please help with Itinerary draft for 29 days in France
- 14 Seeking Diverse Experiences in Western France – Please Critique Itinerary!
- 15 planning confusion
- 16 Costa Brava/Girona vs. Dali Museum/Girona Tours With Spanish Trails
- 17 Once in a life time 3 month Europe Trip
- 18 Feedback on Spain Trip
- 19 Can you recommend a hotel in Paris? What about Hotel Spendide Etoile?
- 20 Dublin transportation help
- 21 Flight delayed to from Manchester to Amsterdam
- 22 If your question is "Is This Trip Crazy?"
- 23 thermal hot springs near Cassis, France
- 24 Chef recommendations for Villa in Cortona, Italy
- 25 PDX customs 4/28, Spokane, boyfriend in NE Portland,
Travel to Italy prior to study abroad in Spain, Study Visa