I was wondering if anyone can confidently inform me about the rules regarding traveling around Europe before beginning a study abroad program with a study visa.
I will be doing an exchange through my master's program in Spain, and am in the nightmare process of attaining a Spanish study visa from the consulate in Miami.
My partner is Italian, and I will be staying in Italy with him for the next 7 weeks as a tourist. Then I will return home for a couple weeks (hopefully to pick up my visa), and will re-enter Europe.
I was planning to fly into Italy in early August and stay with him for another month before starting my program in Barcelona. However, I understand this means that I will be stamped as a tourist, and will not have another opportunity to have my Spanish visa stamped since there are no immigration procedures when traveling between Italy and Spain.
So, do I need to leave the Schengen zone between going from Italy to Spain in order to get the study visa stamped by arriving on an international flight into Spain? To avoid the cost of this, has anyone simply gone to an immigration office purposely when arriving the country of study, to be officially stamped in?
Would it be more advisable to first fly into Spain when I return in early August, get the student visa stamped, spend a few days to get my residency or to establish myself there, and then fly back to Italy to spend the month with him, as part of travel days allotted under my student visa?
I also read something somewhere about only 5 travel days in other Schengen countries being allowed for study visas - I assume this means prior to getting stamped and landing in your study country, and not throughout the entire period of study, because that would be pretty stingy!
If anyone has done anything similar and can inform me, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Travel to Italy prior to study abroad in Spain, Study Visa
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Netherlands holiday with a 2.5 year old
- 2 Finding a hotel/resort on the Costa del Sol with an indoor pool
- 3 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 4 Travel with Teens
- 5 Barcelona and Costa del Sol
- 6 Paris Restaurants in the 7th
- 7 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 8 Recommendations for good driving routes for lavender fields in Provence
- 9 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 10 Reims for a day
- 11 Airfare for summer travel to Europe
- 12 I think this is a scam!
- 13 Restaurant with a view - Florence
- 14 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 15 Best Time of Day and Vantage Point for Seven Sisters
- 16 Weather in Andalusia and Barcelona?
- 17 Flamenco -- Cordoba, Seville or Granada?
- 18 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 19 15-days in Turkey with 15-month old, Istanbul and..?
- 20 Rental car companies in Denizli & Antalya
- 21 Vienna - stay near train station or Innere Stadt?
- 22 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 23 What are the best places to see in England
- 24 Month Itinerary England, France, Germany, Italy does this work?
- 25 Indus Tours in Turkey