I was wondering if anyone can confidently inform me about the rules regarding traveling around Europe before beginning a study abroad program with a study visa.
I will be doing an exchange through my master's program in Spain, and am in the nightmare process of attaining a Spanish study visa from the consulate in Miami.
My partner is Italian, and I will be staying in Italy with him for the next 7 weeks as a tourist. Then I will return home for a couple weeks (hopefully to pick up my visa), and will re-enter Europe.
I was planning to fly into Italy in early August and stay with him for another month before starting my program in Barcelona. However, I understand this means that I will be stamped as a tourist, and will not have another opportunity to have my Spanish visa stamped since there are no immigration procedures when traveling between Italy and Spain.
So, do I need to leave the Schengen zone between going from Italy to Spain in order to get the study visa stamped by arriving on an international flight into Spain? To avoid the cost of this, has anyone simply gone to an immigration office purposely when arriving the country of study, to be officially stamped in?
Would it be more advisable to first fly into Spain when I return in early August, get the student visa stamped, spend a few days to get my residency or to establish myself there, and then fly back to Italy to spend the month with him, as part of travel days allotted under my student visa?
I also read something somewhere about only 5 travel days in other Schengen countries being allowed for study visas - I assume this means prior to getting stamped and landing in your study country, and not throughout the entire period of study, because that would be pretty stingy!
If anyone has done anything similar and can inform me, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 2 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 3 Amalfi Coast help
- 4 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 5 How many nights to spend in Granada and Malaga & a few other questions
- 6 Stop between Umbria and Firenze
- 7 A few days outside Rome
- 8 days and times when museums and suchlike close
- 9 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 10 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 11 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 12 CDG airport and connection time
- 13 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 14 Paris Metro
- 15 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris
- 16 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 17 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 18 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 19 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 20 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 21 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 22 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 23 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 24 getting to CDG
- 25 Cambrils
Travel to Italy prior to study abroad in Spain, Study Visa