I was wondering if anyone can confidently inform me about the rules regarding traveling around Europe before beginning a study abroad program with a study visa.
I will be doing an exchange through my master's program in Spain, and am in the nightmare process of attaining a Spanish study visa from the consulate in Miami.
My partner is Italian, and I will be staying in Italy with him for the next 7 weeks as a tourist. Then I will return home for a couple weeks (hopefully to pick up my visa), and will re-enter Europe.
I was planning to fly into Italy in early August and stay with him for another month before starting my program in Barcelona. However, I understand this means that I will be stamped as a tourist, and will not have another opportunity to have my Spanish visa stamped since there are no immigration procedures when traveling between Italy and Spain.
So, do I need to leave the Schengen zone between going from Italy to Spain in order to get the study visa stamped by arriving on an international flight into Spain? To avoid the cost of this, has anyone simply gone to an immigration office purposely when arriving the country of study, to be officially stamped in?
Would it be more advisable to first fly into Spain when I return in early August, get the student visa stamped, spend a few days to get my residency or to establish myself there, and then fly back to Italy to spend the month with him, as part of travel days allotted under my student visa?
I also read something somewhere about only 5 travel days in other Schengen countries being allowed for study visas - I assume this means prior to getting stamped and landing in your study country, and not throughout the entire period of study, because that would be pretty stingy!
If anyone has done anything similar and can inform me, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Travel to Italy prior to study abroad in Spain, Study Visa
- 1 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 2 Belgium/Holland OR Paris/Strasbourg/Lucern
- 3 Wake up...all fodor posters who are so helpful...
- 4 Advises for trip to Russia
- 5 Salamanca, Barcelona, o Valencia?
- 6 First time traveler to Ireland
- 7 Belgium/Holland or Germany: Please help!
- 8 Where to stay in Copenhagen
- 9 Euro Train
- 10 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 11 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 12 Mad Dash Across Too Much - Rome
- 13 Prague - must see
- 14 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 15 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 16 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice
- 17 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?
- 18 Getting to Gatwick and home again
- 19 First timer! Trip to London over New Year's next year!
- 20 ONE DAY IN PARIS PLEASE HELP!!
- 21 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 22 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 23 2 Week(ish) Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help - First Time Europe Travelers
- 24 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 25 Backpacking Europe beginners questions!