My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Budapest, Hungary in July 2016 to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. I am obviously starting to plan as early as possible and am looking for any tips! We are in our late 20s (will be 27 at the time of trip), both traveling from Canada (Ontario). I speak English and French and my boyfriend speaks English and Hungarian (his family came here from Yugoslavia in the early 90s and he grew up speaking Hungarian and English in his home). We are planning to go for at least a week—possibly 8 or 9 nights.
1. Did anyone here use a travel website to book? If yes, what site would you recommend (Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, etc)? If not, how did you book?
2. Any recommendations for airlines? Or ones to avoid?
3. Any recommendations for hotels? Or ones to avoid?
4. Is Budapest a walkable city? I don’t mind taking the metro but my boyfriend and I prefer walking (I feel you get to see more and love the exercise)!
5. How expensive are the taxis? We were assuming we'd be taking a taxi from the airport to our hotel.
6. Do you have any tips regarding behaviour and local customs? For example, when I was in Paris it was seen as polite to always say hello and goodbye when entering any store or establishment, even if you were not planning to purchase anything.
7. What are your recommendations for must-see spots?
8. What about food/restaurant recommendations?
9. What are the prices like there? As far as I know, Hungary is not on the Euro.
10. Finally, just any other general tips and information would be much appreciated!
I’ve never traveled to a country in which I don’t speak the language/don’t have any family so I am feeling a little lost and would greatly appreciate any help you could provide.
Thank you all very much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ireland Itinerary- biting off more than we can chew?
- 2 Thoughts on visiting Turkey this summer? Safe?
- 3 London lodging 3 adults 3 kids (7,11,13)
- 4 To Aeolians or Not? Please Critique our Sicily Itinerary for May/June
- 5 Hilton CPH no loner
- 6 Cornwall UK
- 7 Does Zurich have a hop on hop off bus system
- 8 Something to do with my mother-in-law in Madrid
- 9 French Wedding
- 10 2017 Tulips, Amsterdam, Time(as in three days)
- 11 Spain: general question about Mondays and museums
- 12 Skip the line tours of the Alhambra, Granada.
- 13 Give advice on Austria trip in the fall.....
- 14 Photo tours Zurich Lucern areas
- 15 Cordoba, Granada, Seville loop
- 16 I may be wrong....
- 17 Our Roman Holiday - 8 nights in the Eternal City
- 18 Driving from Madrid to Sevilla
- 19 Cannobio/Lago Maggiore in October?
- 20 Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice
- 21 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 22 Trip to Czech Republic, Austria and Italy
- 23 Travel from Florence, Italy to Munich, Germany
- 24 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 25 Photo tours in Amsterdam