My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Budapest, Hungary in July 2016 to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. I am obviously starting to plan as early as possible and am looking for any tips! We are in our late 20s (will be 27 at the time of trip), both traveling from Canada (Ontario). I speak English and French and my boyfriend speaks English and Hungarian (his family came here from Yugoslavia in the early 90s and he grew up speaking Hungarian and English in his home). We are planning to go for at least a week—possibly 8 or 9 nights.
1. Did anyone here use a travel website to book? If yes, what site would you recommend (Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, etc)? If not, how did you book?
2. Any recommendations for airlines? Or ones to avoid?
3. Any recommendations for hotels? Or ones to avoid?
4. Is Budapest a walkable city? I don’t mind taking the metro but my boyfriend and I prefer walking (I feel you get to see more and love the exercise)!
5. How expensive are the taxis? We were assuming we'd be taking a taxi from the airport to our hotel.
6. Do you have any tips regarding behaviour and local customs? For example, when I was in Paris it was seen as polite to always say hello and goodbye when entering any store or establishment, even if you were not planning to purchase anything.
7. What are your recommendations for must-see spots?
8. What about food/restaurant recommendations?
9. What are the prices like there? As far as I know, Hungary is not on the Euro.
10. Finally, just any other general tips and information would be much appreciated!
I’ve never traveled to a country in which I don’t speak the language/don’t have any family so I am feeling a little lost and would greatly appreciate any help you could provide.
Thank you all very much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 visiting #hallstatt #Austria
- 2 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 3 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 4 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 5 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 6 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 7 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 8 Questions about Polish sights
- 9 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 10 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 11 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 12 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 13 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 14 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 15 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 16 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 17 Ireland travel passport question
- 18 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 19 Greece-Paros or Meteora
- 20 Italy
- 21 Revised itinerary for italy
- 22 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 23 Juangfrau / mt
- 24 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 25 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)