We are traveling to France in September. We are flying into Barcelona, spending one night there and taking a very early train into France. We are spending 5 days in the south and then 4 days in Paris.
My questions are mostly about the South of France because we do not want to rent a car. We would like to see Arles, Avignon, Orange, Nimes and possibly Aix en Provence and/ or Montpellier (though we are open to other suggestions). So a few questions:
1. Should we pick one home-base (was thinking Arles) and then travel by train to each of these places (or take a bus tour if there are any suggestions)? Maybe a day in Nimes, one day to do Avignon and Orange an then a third place? OR should we stay overnight in a few different places?
2. While we are excited to see all the amazing architecture, ruins etc. we are outdoors-y and would really like to hike somewhere (we may be willing to rent a car for the day if needed) any suggestions?
3. We also need a suggestion for a vineyard visit or wine tour to take if we can't train it to one.
Thanks for the help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Need help deciphering benefits of Swiss train pass vs German 25% off...
- 2 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 3 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK
- 4 Proposed electronics ban and questions about my Kindle
- 5 3 nights in Madrid
- 6 Help with Ireland Trip
- 7 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 8 Hotels in Positano, Capri, & Naples
- 9 Europe Winter Itinerary
- 10 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 11 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, winery, food shops in Provence and Lyon
- 12 Ideas for vacation to Germany
- 13 Best Barcelona neighborhood
- 14 Base for Hidcote, etc. from London
- 15 Ireland base towns (and timing) - Connemara/W. Cork?
- 16 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 17 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 18 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 19 Iceland trip report!
- 20 Swimming in Lake Bled?
- 21 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 22 Bernese Oberland
- 23 Itinerary Advice - Dublin to Shannon
- 24 Switzerland swiss mountain passes so confusing, jungfrou
- 25 Couscous