We're traveling for three weeks, visiting five different European towns. The day we travel from Riquewihr, France (near Colmar in the Alsace region) to Cochem, Germany has me stumped. So far, this has been a car-free vacation, with trains being our mode of tranport. We can rent a car if it makes sense - we did enjoy our Tuscany car rental last year and successfully braved a pickup from Florence and a return to Venice. Travel is on a Thursday in Sept 2015. Here are our options:
1. Take a bus to Colmar, then 3 trains. Six hour journey, cost on rome2rio says $56-71 per person X 2 = $100-$140. (Oddly, the google maps website shows the train journey as 16 hours! That has us going through Mannheim instead of the shorter Strasbourg to Saarbrucken route.)
2. Rent a car. Take a bus to Colmar, pick up the car, drive under 4 hours. Cost of 24 hour rental would be $45-97 depending on insurance. Plus gas/tolls of $60. So, about $150. Might as well get the full coverage, since it compares well with the train for two.
Is this a no brainer in favor of the car? Or is it a scenic train ride and we'd be missing something wonderful by driving? Can anyone confirm the six hour train journey vs the google maps 16 hour journey? What would you do?
Thanks for any and all information!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Outstanding Bangalore Escorts Agency
- 2 Airports in France - help with transport between them
- 3 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 4 Edinburgh's Fringe Festival...A Most Unique and Eclectic Event!
- 5 Help with my trip to Paris and London
- 6 A few more questions about Brittany
- 7 Flight
- 8 Dollars exchange to pounds
- 9 Greece or Spain in late November - December with a baby
- 10 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 11 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 12 Travelogue of our trip to Southern Italy
- 13 Paris to Giverny train ticket sold out
- 14 Sweet villages to base in La Rioja
- 15 Mr & Mrs Annhig need your help planning bucket list trip to Switzerland
- 16 Where to stay in London, Amsterdam and Paris?
- 17 Slovenia or South Tyrol
- 18 Italy apps or guidebooks
- 19 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 20 Train from Barcelona to Madrid
- 21 11 Days in Ireland w few hotel changes
- 22 Where to stay outsiiide of Florence
- 23 Late December in eastern France / western Germany—where to go?
- 24 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 25 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?