We're traveling for three weeks, visiting five different European towns. The day we travel from Riquewihr, France (near Colmar in the Alsace region) to Cochem, Germany has me stumped. So far, this has been a car-free vacation, with trains being our mode of tranport. We can rent a car if it makes sense - we did enjoy our Tuscany car rental last year and successfully braved a pickup from Florence and a return to Venice. Travel is on a Thursday in Sept 2015. Here are our options:
1. Take a bus to Colmar, then 3 trains. Six hour journey, cost on rome2rio says $56-71 per person X 2 = $100-$140. (Oddly, the google maps website shows the train journey as 16 hours! That has us going through Mannheim instead of the shorter Strasbourg to Saarbrucken route.)
2. Rent a car. Take a bus to Colmar, pick up the car, drive under 4 hours. Cost of 24 hour rental would be $45-97 depending on insurance. Plus gas/tolls of $60. So, about $150. Might as well get the full coverage, since it compares well with the train for two.
Is this a no brainer in favor of the car? Or is it a scenic train ride and we'd be missing something wonderful by driving? Can anyone confirm the six hour train journey vs the google maps 16 hour journey? What would you do?
Thanks for any and all information!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Krakow and Prague-one week
- 2 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 3 4 days in Provence in early June
- 4 Heathrow Terminal 2 - Immigration, Bags & Pick-Up
- 5 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 6 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?
- 7 Tips for a local Kingsday experience in Amsterdam?
- 8 Gorges de Verdon to Eze - where to stay along way?
- 9 Need Information about French Alps
- 10 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 11 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 12 Alitalia - Groundhog Day?
- 13 Ireland Trip Itenary
- 14 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 15 Springtime (Hopefully) in Copenhagen
- 16 First Morning after arrival in Frankfurt
- 17 Spain and Portugal - 2 weeks in Mid-July - help with itinerary
- 18 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 19 Cordoba Overnight?
- 20 Madrid to Northern Spain- 4 days/2 kids. Help w itinerary pls!
- 21 Paris & Cote d'Azur Trip report
- 22 Holy mass with Vienna Boys Choir
- 23 10 days Greece in mid-Sept 2017
- 24 Uffizi Phone Number
- 25 Do I have time for the Appian Way?