We're traveling for three weeks, visiting five different European towns. The day we travel from Riquewihr, France (near Colmar in the Alsace region) to Cochem, Germany has me stumped. So far, this has been a car-free vacation, with trains being our mode of tranport. We can rent a car if it makes sense - we did enjoy our Tuscany car rental last year and successfully braved a pickup from Florence and a return to Venice. Travel is on a Thursday in Sept 2015. Here are our options:
1. Take a bus to Colmar, then 3 trains. Six hour journey, cost on rome2rio says $56-71 per person X 2 = $100-$140. (Oddly, the google maps website shows the train journey as 16 hours! That has us going through Mannheim instead of the shorter Strasbourg to Saarbrucken route.)
2. Rent a car. Take a bus to Colmar, pick up the car, drive under 4 hours. Cost of 24 hour rental would be $45-97 depending on insurance. Plus gas/tolls of $60. So, about $150. Might as well get the full coverage, since it compares well with the train for two.
Is this a no brainer in favor of the car? Or is it a scenic train ride and we'd be missing something wonderful by driving? Can anyone confirm the six hour train journey vs the google maps 16 hour journey? What would you do?
Thanks for any and all information!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London 6 day itinerary
- 2 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 3 London in Winter Report
- 4 Switzaly 2011: two sisters visit Zurich, Turin and Milan
- 5 IWM
- 6 London Hotel - Different Request
- 7 Seville to Cordoba
- 8 3 nights in Madrid
- 9 Very British Neighborhood in London
- 10 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, aperitivo in Milan, Turin, Piedmont
- 11 Travelling Iceland
- 12 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, winery, food shops in Provence and Lyon
- 13 Quiet reasonably priced Munich hotel during Oktoberfest
- 14 Portugal rental car
- 15 Hotels in Positano, Capri, & Naples
- 16 Stowing Luggage at Florence for a day!
- 17 Kayak = Priceline and unavailable flights?
- 18 Trastevere Food
- 19 paris hotel easy commute to Palais de Congres
- 20 Paris then Italy? Or Greece?
- 21 Buying Train Tickets at Schipol - Machine
- 22 Sim Cards
- 23 Nightime Tivoli
- 24 anyone stay here? ytri vik cottages
- 25 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood