In June we are flying into Munich for 1 week. In that week we plan the following -
Day 1 Munich
Day 2 Day trip to Fussen (Castles), return to Munich for the night
Day 3 Day trip Rothenburg, return to Munich for the night
Day 4 Train to Hallstatt Austria via Salzburg
Day 5 Hallstatt
Day 6 Train back to Salzburg for one night
Day 7 Possibly one more night in Salzburg or travel back to Munich for a 4th night
Day 8 fly home
After looking at average weather conditions for each place, it concerns me that Hallstatt sees a lot of rain in the summer months and in all honestly i'm not sure i would like to spend 2 days of my summer holiday under an umbrella, especially in Hallstatt where most enjoyment is found outdoors.
My question is about trains. (Considering i will be needing to use the train to get from Munich airport to Munich and back. I will probably using the train/tram to travel around Munich. Train from Munich - Hallstatt. Train Hallstatt to Salzburg and finally Salzburg to Munich and on to the airport).
Is there a ticket we can buy that will cover all the above for both countries every day or will it be best to buy separately for each destination?Should i purchase tickets in advance or at the time?
If the weather turns out to be miserable in Hallstatt, i want to be able to change our plans last minute and head somewhere else so don't really want to suffer any huge losses in travel costs?
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Pyrenees 10-Day Driving Itinerary
- 2 Britain's contactless public transport revolution moves to Oxford
- 3 Will I need air conditioning near Lucca in early July?
- 4 English Countryside
- 5 Scenic Driving Routes
- 6 Visiting Spain in January
- 7 How beautiful is Lisbon compared to other european ciites?
- 8 Puglia & Matera in photos
- 9 Flights from Croatia
- 10 Amsterdam Festival of LIghts
- 11 The Princess Diaries: My Three Week Odyssey In Poland And Romania
- 12 3 nights in St Petersburg, 3 in Moscow, Private tour vs. Group?
- 13 Visiting Europe for 1 week: Prague or Rome?
- 14 Swiss trains/Basel to Zurich
- 15 Best European Cities for Walking Challenged
- 16 London in a Nutshell! - Travel Report
- 17 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 18 Stay in Multalcino or Montepulciano
- 19 What to wear visiting England and France during winter?
- 20 Europe in late January
- 21 Looking for the Holy Grail... in a Tour of Italy
- 22 Cote d'Azure & Aix In need of your expertise-10 days in May
- 23 Sent a postcard recently from Italy?
- 24 Getting from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes
- 25 Europe in the Winter for a week