In June we are flying into Munich for 1 week. In that week we plan the following -
Day 1 Munich
Day 2 Day trip to Fussen (Castles), return to Munich for the night
Day 3 Day trip Rothenburg, return to Munich for the night
Day 4 Train to Hallstatt Austria via Salzburg
Day 5 Hallstatt
Day 6 Train back to Salzburg for one night
Day 7 Possibly one more night in Salzburg or travel back to Munich for a 4th night
Day 8 fly home
After looking at average weather conditions for each place, it concerns me that Hallstatt sees a lot of rain in the summer months and in all honestly i'm not sure i would like to spend 2 days of my summer holiday under an umbrella, especially in Hallstatt where most enjoyment is found outdoors.
My question is about trains. (Considering i will be needing to use the train to get from Munich airport to Munich and back. I will probably using the train/tram to travel around Munich. Train from Munich - Hallstatt. Train Hallstatt to Salzburg and finally Salzburg to Munich and on to the airport).
Is there a ticket we can buy that will cover all the above for both countries every day or will it be best to buy separately for each destination?Should i purchase tickets in advance or at the time?
If the weather turns out to be miserable in Hallstatt, i want to be able to change our plans last minute and head somewhere else so don't really want to suffer any huge losses in travel costs?
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hiking in Tirol/Austria
- 2 English Countryside
- 3 Athens daytrip - feasible?
- 4 How is the drive from Munich to Paris?
- 5 Hiking in Austrian Alps?
- 6 Dolomites to Switzerland or Austria? Can't decide!
- 7 Guided Group Tour of Italy--opinions please
- 8 Driving in Italy?
- 9 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 10 Granada to Madrid
- 11 Manchester Airport Connection Time
- 12 Croatia
- 13 Croatia trip Planning
- 14 Norway -Trips
- 15 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 16 Need help on our Provence trip July 2016
- 17 Itinerary and transportation suggestions
- 18 England Transportation Experts Needed! Multiple Questions!
- 19 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 20 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 21 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 22 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 23 Do NIN in 1 or 2 days?
- 24 May/June 2016 - Switzerland, Germany, and Austria - Hiking Included
- 25 Bergen and Norway with toddler under-two