In June we are flying into Munich for 1 week. In that week we plan the following -
Day 1 Munich
Day 2 Day trip to Fussen (Castles), return to Munich for the night
Day 3 Day trip Rothenburg, return to Munich for the night
Day 4 Train to Hallstatt Austria via Salzburg
Day 5 Hallstatt
Day 6 Train back to Salzburg for one night
Day 7 Possibly one more night in Salzburg or travel back to Munich for a 4th night
Day 8 fly home
After looking at average weather conditions for each place, it concerns me that Hallstatt sees a lot of rain in the summer months and in all honestly i'm not sure i would like to spend 2 days of my summer holiday under an umbrella, especially in Hallstatt where most enjoyment is found outdoors.
My question is about trains. (Considering i will be needing to use the train to get from Munich airport to Munich and back. I will probably using the train/tram to travel around Munich. Train from Munich - Hallstatt. Train Hallstatt to Salzburg and finally Salzburg to Munich and on to the airport).
Is there a ticket we can buy that will cover all the above for both countries every day or will it be best to buy separately for each destination?Should i purchase tickets in advance or at the time?
If the weather turns out to be miserable in Hallstatt, i want to be able to change our plans last minute and head somewhere else so don't really want to suffer any huge losses in travel costs?
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 sfo to europe
- 2 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 3 Christmas in London (& Paris)
- 4 Italian Riviera
- 5 Last min prep for Krakow - Questions
- 6 Switzerland in mid-April
- 7 Rue des Rosiers
- 8 Glastonbury vs Bath
- 9 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 10 Pyrenees villages sth of Lourdes
- 11 Hamam Istanbul?
- 12 Holiday in Austria
- 13 Paris Under Seige...
- 14 First Trip to Europe!
- 15 X-ray machines at train stations in Europe?
- 16 visa appointment experience
- 17 Purchasing Italian train tickets from USA!
- 18 Critique my Budapest itinerary please!
- 19 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 20 Received Black Friday ads feom Europe
- 21 Snakes on a Plane? Our Thanksgiving in Paris!
- 22 Scotland Trip
- 23 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 24 Fabulous Greece-Santorini, Naxos and Athens
- 25 What to take to Germany