In June we are flying into Munich for 1 week. In that week we plan the following -
Day 1 Munich
Day 2 Day trip to Fussen (Castles), return to Munich for the night
Day 3 Day trip Rothenburg, return to Munich for the night
Day 4 Train to Hallstatt Austria via Salzburg
Day 5 Hallstatt
Day 6 Train back to Salzburg for one night
Day 7 Possibly one more night in Salzburg or travel back to Munich for a 4th night
Day 8 fly home
After looking at average weather conditions for each place, it concerns me that Hallstatt sees a lot of rain in the summer months and in all honestly i'm not sure i would like to spend 2 days of my summer holiday under an umbrella, especially in Hallstatt where most enjoyment is found outdoors.
My question is about trains. (Considering i will be needing to use the train to get from Munich airport to Munich and back. I will probably using the train/tram to travel around Munich. Train from Munich - Hallstatt. Train Hallstatt to Salzburg and finally Salzburg to Munich and on to the airport).
Is there a ticket we can buy that will cover all the above for both countries every day or will it be best to buy separately for each destination?Should i purchase tickets in advance or at the time?
If the weather turns out to be miserable in Hallstatt, i want to be able to change our plans last minute and head somewhere else so don't really want to suffer any huge losses in travel costs?
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 2 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 3 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 4 italy Cinque Terre
- 5 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 6 San Sebastián
- 7 Spanish Medical Providers
- 8 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 9 VAT refund transferring through CDG
- 10 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 11 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 12 Can parking
- 13 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 14 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 15 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 16 Driving through Paris
- 17 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 18 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 19 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 20 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 21 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 22 Zurich to Milan trip
- 23 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 24 Train help Lyon to Annecy to Montreaux
- 25 Andalusia suggests - which order is best?