In June we are flying into Munich for 1 week. In that week we plan the following -
Day 1 Munich
Day 2 Day trip to Fussen (Castles), return to Munich for the night
Day 3 Day trip Rothenburg, return to Munich for the night
Day 4 Train to Hallstatt Austria via Salzburg
Day 5 Hallstatt
Day 6 Train back to Salzburg for one night
Day 7 Possibly one more night in Salzburg or travel back to Munich for a 4th night
Day 8 fly home
After looking at average weather conditions for each place, it concerns me that Hallstatt sees a lot of rain in the summer months and in all honestly i'm not sure i would like to spend 2 days of my summer holiday under an umbrella, especially in Hallstatt where most enjoyment is found outdoors.
My question is about trains. (Considering i will be needing to use the train to get from Munich airport to Munich and back. I will probably using the train/tram to travel around Munich. Train from Munich - Hallstatt. Train Hallstatt to Salzburg and finally Salzburg to Munich and on to the airport).
Is there a ticket we can buy that will cover all the above for both countries every day or will it be best to buy separately for each destination?Should i purchase tickets in advance or at the time?
If the weather turns out to be miserable in Hallstatt, i want to be able to change our plans last minute and head somewhere else so don't really want to suffer any huge losses in travel costs?
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Oct '16 Tuscany assistance
- 2 Too much for one day?
- 3 Second thoughts on Lucerne as base
- 4 Travel WiFi - France
- 5 Norfolk base
- 6 Lipari to Capri??
- 7 TGV route Avignon - Paris
- 8 3 Weeks in Italy near Milan
- 9 Iceland Trip report
- 10 Eurorail pass or flights/local trains in Spain plus Lisbon for 21 days
- 11 12 days europe
- 12 Train in France-1st versus 2nd class?
- 13 Earthquake info for Perugia and Assisi
- 14 Spain Itinerary Help
- 15 Drinks in Spain
- 16 Viator's Tuscany in one day sightseeing tour
- 17 Which Dordogne caves can be easily seen without advance reservations?
- 18 13 days in Paris, plans and budget
- 19 RFID Protection
- 20 Arrival day suggestions (South Kensington)
- 21 Glasgow and surrounding area help
- 22 from Charles de Gaulle to central Paris
- 23 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 24 Ali
- 25 Christmas Week in London