In June we are flying into Munich for 1 week. In that week we plan the following -
Day 1 Munich
Day 2 Day trip to Fussen (Castles), return to Munich for the night
Day 3 Day trip Rothenburg, return to Munich for the night
Day 4 Train to Hallstatt Austria via Salzburg
Day 5 Hallstatt
Day 6 Train back to Salzburg for one night
Day 7 Possibly one more night in Salzburg or travel back to Munich for a 4th night
Day 8 fly home
After looking at average weather conditions for each place, it concerns me that Hallstatt sees a lot of rain in the summer months and in all honestly i'm not sure i would like to spend 2 days of my summer holiday under an umbrella, especially in Hallstatt where most enjoyment is found outdoors.
My question is about trains. (Considering i will be needing to use the train to get from Munich airport to Munich and back. I will probably using the train/tram to travel around Munich. Train from Munich - Hallstatt. Train Hallstatt to Salzburg and finally Salzburg to Munich and on to the airport).
Is there a ticket we can buy that will cover all the above for both countries every day or will it be best to buy separately for each destination?Should i purchase tickets in advance or at the time?
If the weather turns out to be miserable in Hallstatt, i want to be able to change our plans last minute and head somewhere else so don't really want to suffer any huge losses in travel costs?
Thanks in advance.
Trains Munich Bavaria Salzburg Hallstatt
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help with extended vacation / move to Italy with little ones …
- 2 How many bus/metro rides in Paris is too many in a day?
- 3 POLAND October,2013! Overdue trip report
- 4 How long in Venice?
- 5 First Time Going to Europe
- 6 Hotel in Rome?
- 7 Outerwear France Beginning of September
- 8 Trip report: Milan and Lake Como
- 9 Need advice on Northern Spain itinerary
- 10 Cheap Traveling in Spain
- 11 Parisbestlodge Fleur de Lys apt
- 12 Traditional food in Athens
- 13 After a Wild Thyme in Armenia: Retreat to Moscow
- 14 Two Bonnie Lasses: A Road Trip from Edinburgh to London
- 15 Getting cash in Spain
- 16 Looking for review of 1-day Pompeii/Naples Itinerary Please
- 17 No Time for Both...so...Segovia or Salamanca
- 18 Italy Itinerary help - leaving in <2 weeks
- 19 Moscow AND St Petersburg
- 20 Russian Folk Dance program in Moscow
- 21 Greek Ferries in October - Q's
- 22 Cotswolds village base
- 23 Secure parking in Tarifa, Spain
- 24 I booked "Paris in Winter"
- 25 atm cards in Spain