In June we are flying into Munich for 1 week. In that week we plan the following -
Day 1 Munich
Day 2 Day trip to Fussen (Castles), return to Munich for the night
Day 3 Day trip Rothenburg, return to Munich for the night
Day 4 Train to Hallstatt Austria via Salzburg
Day 5 Hallstatt
Day 6 Train back to Salzburg for one night
Day 7 Possibly one more night in Salzburg or travel back to Munich for a 4th night
Day 8 fly home
After looking at average weather conditions for each place, it concerns me that Hallstatt sees a lot of rain in the summer months and in all honestly i'm not sure i would like to spend 2 days of my summer holiday under an umbrella, especially in Hallstatt where most enjoyment is found outdoors.
My question is about trains. (Considering i will be needing to use the train to get from Munich airport to Munich and back. I will probably using the train/tram to travel around Munich. Train from Munich - Hallstatt. Train Hallstatt to Salzburg and finally Salzburg to Munich and on to the airport).
Is there a ticket we can buy that will cover all the above for both countries every day or will it be best to buy separately for each destination?Should i purchase tickets in advance or at the time?
If the weather turns out to be miserable in Hallstatt, i want to be able to change our plans last minute and head somewhere else so don't really want to suffer any huge losses in travel costs?
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Iceland rental camper company
- 2 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 3 southeast sicily town as home base
- 4 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 5 Please help with Carry-on Question--CDG!
- 6 Chania
- 7 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 8 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 9 Incredibly Beautiful, Fira, Greece
- 10 Theoxenia on Santorini
- 11 Spanish food - not that special?
- 12 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 13 Rome travel book, Nice extra
- 14 Packing for Sicily and Sardenia: Need anything Warm?
- 15 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 16 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 17 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 18 stopover between antequerra and granada?
- 19 Recommendations for trip to Cochem
- 20 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 21 Booking Irish Rail ticket
- 22 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 23 Can you locate this picture in Greece?
- 24 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 25 Taking Renfe's FAVA Train Across Northern Spain?