I'm a girl in my 20s traveling with a companion the same age to Italy in September. We have almost everything organized in regards to hotels and trains, but we aren't planning to book anything until mid-June (I hope that won't be too late). We've been getting a lot of conflicting advice regarding whether or not to book transportation in advance. So any further advice on the topic would be really appreciated from more experience travelers!
A problem that we have is in one leg of our journey we will be going from La Spezia to Rome. This is on a Sunday and there are some flexible travel times on Trenitalia and the train from Vernazza to La Spezia takes less than 30 minutes, so we aren't expecting any problems. However, we have been told that there are frequent delays (not sure how valid this is) on the Cinque Terre trains.
The train from Vernazza to La Spezia is
08:49-09:07 OR 09:28-09:49
We are opting to take the 08:49 train but if we miss it, the next one is at 9:28.
The train from La Spezia to Rome leaves at 10:06 and the next one is at 13:14.
We REALLY want that 10:06 train. Especially since there would be an unnecessarily long wait at La Sepzia Centrale.
So my questions are
1) Are we being stupid to wait an hour for the train at La Spezia? or would be fine reaching at 09:49 and boarding the train to Rome at 10?
2) Should we book the train from La Spezia to Rome in advance? Or on the day of?
3) Should we book any of the trains in advance (online) or at the station itself? Would we run into problems like the train being fully reserved, etc?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting around London
- 2 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 3 Language to use in Belgium
- 4 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 5 Europe's Most Famous Streets?
- 6 WWI sites
- 7 Weather and clothes in Sakzkammergut in August
- 8 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 9 Paris in August
- 10 Moderately priced French restaurants in Paris: an update
- 11 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 12 Christmas in Spain
- 13 Germany-Car or Train
- 14 Brussels flower tapestry
- 15 Italy Itinerary Gap to Fill - Alternate Suggestions
- 16 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 17 Lake Como,Italy
- 18 21, 18 and 6 year old trip to Europe
- 19 Valencia Spain
- 20 Visiting Zurich
- 21 Cape Sounion en route to Airport?
- 22 Places to visit from Zurich
- 23 SURPRISE TRIP
- 24 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 25 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland