I'm a girl in my 20s traveling with a companion the same age to Italy in September. We have almost everything organized in regards to hotels and trains, but we aren't planning to book anything until mid-June (I hope that won't be too late). We've been getting a lot of conflicting advice regarding whether or not to book transportation in advance. So any further advice on the topic would be really appreciated from more experience travelers!
A problem that we have is in one leg of our journey we will be going from La Spezia to Rome. This is on a Sunday and there are some flexible travel times on Trenitalia and the train from Vernazza to La Spezia takes less than 30 minutes, so we aren't expecting any problems. However, we have been told that there are frequent delays (not sure how valid this is) on the Cinque Terre trains.
The train from Vernazza to La Spezia is
08:49-09:07 OR 09:28-09:49
We are opting to take the 08:49 train but if we miss it, the next one is at 9:28.
The train from La Spezia to Rome leaves at 10:06 and the next one is at 13:14.
We REALLY want that 10:06 train. Especially since there would be an unnecessarily long wait at La Sepzia Centrale.
So my questions are
1) Are we being stupid to wait an hour for the train at La Spezia? or would be fine reaching at 09:49 and boarding the train to Rome at 10?
2) Should we book the train from La Spezia to Rome in advance? Or on the day of?
3) Should we book any of the trains in advance (online) or at the station itself? Would we run into problems like the train being fully reserved, etc?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 HP Installation CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 HP PRINTER Technical SUPP0RT 24*7
- 2 Couscous
- 3 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 4 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 5 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 6 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK
- 7 Bernese Oberland
- 8 TIM in FCO - update
- 9 Need help deciphering benefits of Swiss train pass vs German 25% off...
- 10 Switzerland swiss mountain passes so confusing, jungfrou
- 11 Life's most embarrassing moments
- 12 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 13 Europe Winter Itinerary
- 14 Rome-Switzerland-Paris-Rome 2 week trip
- 15 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 16 Swimming in Lake Bled?
- 17 Itinerary Advice - Dublin to Shannon
- 18 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 19 Ideas for vacation to Germany
- 20 Proposed electronics ban and questions about my Kindle
- 21 Cartagena Spain
- 22 Snowmobile tracks in Lapland
- 23 Trip to Switzerland
- 24 Base for Hidcote, etc. from London
- 25 Itinery help Crete