I'm a girl in my 20s traveling with a companion the same age to Italy in September. We have almost everything organized in regards to hotels and trains, but we aren't planning to book anything until mid-June (I hope that won't be too late). We've been getting a lot of conflicting advice regarding whether or not to book transportation in advance. So any further advice on the topic would be really appreciated from more experience travelers!
A problem that we have is in one leg of our journey we will be going from La Spezia to Rome. This is on a Sunday and there are some flexible travel times on Trenitalia and the train from Vernazza to La Spezia takes less than 30 minutes, so we aren't expecting any problems. However, we have been told that there are frequent delays (not sure how valid this is) on the Cinque Terre trains.
The train from Vernazza to La Spezia is
08:49-09:07 OR 09:28-09:49
We are opting to take the 08:49 train but if we miss it, the next one is at 9:28.
The train from La Spezia to Rome leaves at 10:06 and the next one is at 13:14.
We REALLY want that 10:06 train. Especially since there would be an unnecessarily long wait at La Sepzia Centrale.
So my questions are
1) Are we being stupid to wait an hour for the train at La Spezia? or would be fine reaching at 09:49 and boarding the train to Rome at 10?
2) Should we book the train from La Spezia to Rome in advance? Or on the day of?
3) Should we book any of the trains in advance (online) or at the station itself? Would we run into problems like the train being fully reserved, etc?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How to spend 3 days btwn Milan and Florence
- 2 Ottolenghi walk-ins?
- 3 Visit to Engand
- 4 13 nights in Portugal...need tuning !
- 5 Trip in September
- 6 Advice getting from Robin Hood's Bay to London
- 7 The Dordogne - Stu Dudley's Updated Itinerary
- 8 Which city order makes most sense?
- 9 10 days in Germany, Itinerary help please!
- 10 London Restaurants
- 11 Munich Hotel Location
- 12 Portugal In A Week-The Places You'd Go Back To
- 13 A birthday dinner in Sevilla
- 14 Clean up spam
- 15 Croatia - Zadar or Hvar or Korcula?
- 16 Trip to England next month - Itinerary Help needed
- 17 credit and debit cards
- 18 Munich,Prague, CK, Salzburg, Vienna
- 19 Is Sicily Safe?
- 20 Hurtigruten port suggestion
- 21 Alhambra advance tickets - how far in advance?
- 22 Family Friendly Day Trips from Arezzo
- 23 Visiting paris and italy can this itinerary work?
- 24 Easter Week in Europe, Destination Suggestions Please
- 25 Help with basic itinerary