We are trying to figure out the best options for Car Rental/Train for our Rome-Tuscany-Dolomites trip in January. I’m having trouble deciding on pickup/drop locations which work for our trip. I can’t decide between:
• picking up the car in Rome (city or airport) or in Tuscany (Chiusi or Orvieto)
• dropping of the car in (Chiusi or Orvieto or Florence) for the onward train journey to Bolzano
We have the following accommodation bookings and so I’m looking for advice for the 2 travel dates of 5th and 9th January that would work best with our accommodation and destination locations.
• Rome (Palazzo Olivia) – 6 nights departing Tuesday 5th Jan
• Montepulciano (Sant' Antonio) - 4 nights arriving 5th Jan and departing Saturday 9th Jan
• Ortisei – 7 nights arriving Saturday 9th Jan
We are from Australia and have driven in Italy before as part of a 6 week multi-country trip during October/November a few years back. It included every sort of weather condition including snow/fog/torrential rain. We have driven into and out of Florence city centre which was very scary but we survived - so we could do that again if required. We usually book in advance through autoeurope.com and have had nothing but good experiences with them so far.
I’ve been trawling this forum for ideas but just thought I would ask you all what might work best for us since we don’t need to go to into Florence this trip.
All your advice gratefully received.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Portugal and Spain Itinerary Suggestions
- 2 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 3 Eastern France - A TR in Pictures
- 4 Austria / Bavaria in late Oct/Early Nov
- 5 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 6 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 7 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 8 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 9 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 10 House Hunting in France
- 11 English Countryside
- 12 Tour of Northern Italy
- 13 12 days itinerary - Netherland, Belgium & Germany
- 14 Cognac transportation?
- 15 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 16 Prague, Rome or Amsterdam
- 17 No Train On Kings Day Amsterdam?
- 18 Manchester Airport Connection Time
- 19 Granada to Madrid
- 20 San Sebastian
- 21 Athens daytrip - feasible?
- 22 Hotel in Vienna
- 23 8 to 9 days in switzerland with swiss pass
- 24 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #150
- 25 Apartment & Location Recommendation in Paris