We are trying to figure out the best options for Car Rental/Train for our Rome-Tuscany-Dolomites trip in January. I’m having trouble deciding on pickup/drop locations which work for our trip. I can’t decide between:
• picking up the car in Rome (city or airport) or in Tuscany (Chiusi or Orvieto)
• dropping of the car in (Chiusi or Orvieto or Florence) for the onward train journey to Bolzano
We have the following accommodation bookings and so I’m looking for advice for the 2 travel dates of 5th and 9th January that would work best with our accommodation and destination locations.
• Rome (Palazzo Olivia) – 6 nights departing Tuesday 5th Jan
• Montepulciano (Sant' Antonio) - 4 nights arriving 5th Jan and departing Saturday 9th Jan
• Ortisei – 7 nights arriving Saturday 9th Jan
We are from Australia and have driven in Italy before as part of a 6 week multi-country trip during October/November a few years back. It included every sort of weather condition including snow/fog/torrential rain. We have driven into and out of Florence city centre which was very scary but we survived - so we could do that again if required. We usually book in advance through autoeurope.com and have had nothing but good experiences with them so far.
I’ve been trawling this forum for ideas but just thought I would ask you all what might work best for us since we don’t need to go to into Florence this trip.
All your advice gratefully received.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scotland itinerary advice
- 2 Porto in January
- 3 Any downside when booking codeshare flights?
- 4 Rome Water Shortage
- 5 Amsterdam Train Help Please!
- 6 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 7 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 8 Valencia Spain
- 9 Whistle stop family road trip
- 10 The DCC scam is spreading
- 11 5 nights in Granada and Malaga - what combo?
- 12 Lake Como,Italy
- 13 Greek Islands - Should we rent a car on Mykonos and Santorini?
- 14 Help with tips in UK
- 15 Anyone Use the Venezia Unica City Pass?
- 16 Advice needed re CDW for car rental in Ireland/N. Ireland
- 17 Cab cost from Tegel/ Germany/ to Charlottenstrasse
- 18 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 19 Schengen question....confirmation needed
- 20 Provence Hotel and Flights
- 21 Amalfi Coast/Sorrento-which town?
- 22 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 23 Weather and clothes in Sakzkammergut in August
- 24 3 weeks in Scotland and Germany?
- 25 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip