We are still trying to wrap up our Xmas market trip to Germany. Originally I was going to rent a car when departing Berlin and then visit Dresden, Bamberg, Nurnberg Rothenburg, Wurzburg, Munich and then south . I know that we want the car when going south of Munich but am thinking again about the other cities. There are 3 of us and it seems that train travel is possibly more than the car and certainly doesn't allow as much flexibility. For example, I was told that a train trip from Berlin to Wittenberg would be $64 round trip. That would be close to $190. for the 3 of us and certainly we could drive and park cheaper than that. But in favor of the train we wouldn't have to hassel parking or driving into the towns. We have driven in Europe many times and generally do okay. If we were to travel by train how do I get the best rate. What are your thoughts on 3 travelers renting a car vs. train.
train vs auto
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Switzerland
- 2 What to do during Christmas in Paris?
- 3 Sweden, Denmark, Norway
- 4 Alcobaca, Batalha and Tomar, all or one?
- 5 Hotel for last night in London--for family of 4
- 6 Planning a trip to the Baltics
- 7 Initial feedback on Spain itin, please
- 8 England and Scotland
- 9 Savoring Sicily - A Trip Report
- 10 27-DAY ODYSSEY IN THE ALPS with 3 FINAL DAYS IN PARIS
- 11 Athens/Istanbul March
- 12 Does cinque terre merit three days
- 13 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 14 Info requested for Paris, Strasbourg and Berlin
- 15 Dublin to Armagh?
- 16 Solo Scotland May 2014
- 17 A photo report on Reykjavik, Iceland
- 18 Gite and/or agritourism
- 19 Apartment for family trip to London
- 20 Prebook B&Bs
- 21 London, Paris, Rome Trip Report
- 22 Munich - (2) nights plus an extra evening - your suggestions?
- 23 Trains in Italy
- 24 20 days in Germany
- 25 How much do you spend on travel in Europe?