We are still trying to wrap up our Xmas market trip to Germany. Originally I was going to rent a car when departing Berlin and then visit Dresden, Bamberg, Nurnberg Rothenburg, Wurzburg, Munich and then south . I know that we want the car when going south of Munich but am thinking again about the other cities. There are 3 of us and it seems that train travel is possibly more than the car and certainly doesn't allow as much flexibility. For example, I was told that a train trip from Berlin to Wittenberg would be $64 round trip. That would be close to $190. for the 3 of us and certainly we could drive and park cheaper than that. But in favor of the train we wouldn't have to hassel parking or driving into the towns. We have driven in Europe many times and generally do okay. If we were to travel by train how do I get the best rate. What are your thoughts on 3 travelers renting a car vs. train.
train vs auto
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best car/shuttle service from Paris to CDG
- 2 Anyone trying to get out of the French Alps?
- 3 Italy trip questions
- 4 Honeymoon in the Alps (with skiing)
- 5 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 6 2 Weeks in Germany in December
- 7 Would you recommend Sicily only or Puglia also for a 14-day trip?
- 8 1st time in Paris - apartment advice
- 9 Museums in Berlin
- 10 Italy/Austria/Germany/France
- 11 Budget family trip to Europe
- 12 Euro Trivia Quiz #17 - British Train Trivia
- 13 Pyrenees logistics
- 14 Berlin
- 15 Two Weeks in France, reposting TR
- 16 Suggestions for European Holiday with Young Children
- 17 caroline_venezia
- 18 Taormina to Palermo
- 19 Two Weeks in Italy: Umbria, Tuscany, Piedmont Itinerary Help
- 20 Storytellers in Iceland
- 21 Stay in Chablis or Auxerre?
- 22 Huge New 5,000 Year Old Underground City Excavated in Cappadocia
- 23 Champagne, Chocolates and Christmas, but no Chanel - Paris and Alsace
- 24 Crete, Rhodes... or?
- 25 history museums or locations