My wife and I are going to Europe towards the end of the year (December) for a month - this is our first trip! We have no idea about train travel, and are just seeking any help, advice and suggestions. We don't want to drive because of snow/ice etc...definitely aware it will be cold. We'll be travelling the following route via train:
- Paris to Lyon
- Lyon to Bern
- Bern to Grindelwald
- Grindelwald to Lucerne
- Lucerne to Freiberg
- Freiberg to Berlin (would like an overnight train if possible)
- Berlin to Amsterdam (would like an overnight train if possible)
(plane from Amsterdam to London)
- London to Paris
Open to all suggestions and help, but wondering what the best ticket to buy is (i.e. point-to-point), through who (i.e. seat61) and when. I've heard that 3 moths is a good time (i.e. now).
Thanks for any advice or help
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 New Data Suggests the Best Time to Book Your Flight is 54 Days in Advance
- 2 advice on getting from Cardiff to Germany
- 3 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 4 Revised itinerary for italy
- 5 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 6 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 7 Biarritz family holiday
- 8 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 9 Lisbon hotel
- 10 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 11 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 12 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 13 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 14 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 15 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 16 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 17 Italy
- 18 4 Days in Tuscany
- 19 If you had to choose one......
- 20 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 21 Switzerland
- 22 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 23 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 24 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 25 Italy and Switzerlan Travel Advice