My wife and I are going to Europe towards the end of the year (December) for a month - this is our first trip! We have no idea about train travel, and are just seeking any help, advice and suggestions. We don't want to drive because of snow/ice etc...definitely aware it will be cold. We'll be travelling the following route via train:
- Paris to Lyon
- Lyon to Bern
- Bern to Grindelwald
- Grindelwald to Lucerne
- Lucerne to Freiberg
- Freiberg to Berlin (would like an overnight train if possible)
- Berlin to Amsterdam (would like an overnight train if possible)
(plane from Amsterdam to London)
- London to Paris
Open to all suggestions and help, but wondering what the best ticket to buy is (i.e. point-to-point), through who (i.e. seat61) and when. I've heard that 3 moths is a good time (i.e. now).
Thanks for any advice or help
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 10 days in Paris and......
- 2 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 3 We're here!
- 4 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 5 Input desired concerning my Sicily itinerary
- 6 Venice, Florence - too many museums.
- 7 Spain in July
- 8 Rick Steves Alternatives
- 9 Moving to Italy
- 10 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 11 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 12 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 13 Lisbon-mini trip report
- 14 Planning an independent tour of UK mid-2017
- 15 Purchase Train Ticket Madrid to Toledo Ahead?
- 16 Swiss Travel Pass
- 17 BritRail pass - 1st or 2nd class?
- 18 Petrol in Greece
- 19 Malaga City Center Hotels
- 20 Athens
- 21 Hello -Please- Excuse Me- Good-Bye - Thank You ???
- 22 Paris to Orly Airport Public Transport
- 23 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 24 Where to enjoy Paris
- 25 Suggestions of Paris things to do Christmas and New Years?