I'm traveling from Munich to Istanbul with my 3 kids (2 teenagers & 6 yo) in May. Was planning on flying until I saw the seat61 site. Now I'm considering taking the train one way and flying back to Munich on a budget airline (Pegasus? Turkish Airlines?). I can get tickets online from debahn from Munich to Budapest, but am at a loss on how to purchase tickets for the rest of the trip. Can I wait until we get to Germany and then purchase them from a debahn station (we'll be in Germany for 3 weeks before we head to Turkey)? Or should I just wait and purchase tickets at the train stations in Budapest (for the Budapest-Bucharest leg) and Bucharest (for the Bucharest-Istanbul leg)? Has anyone taken this route recently? (I'm aware of the transfer to bus at the Turkish border.) How easy is it to purchase the tickets at the train station for travel that day (English is my only language)? I'll have US dollars and euros, but not local currency.
train travel from munich to istanbul
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rioja
- 2 Madrid
- 3 Camino No-No
- 4 Ireland train system: first class??
- 5 10 nights in Southern Spain: Itinerary & Questions
- 6 London, Vienna, Prague Trip Report -- Part 5 First Full Day in Vienna
- 7 How to order free Lebara SIM card from the U.S.?
- 8 London, Vienna, Prague Trip Report -- Part 2 Easter Sunday London
- 9 Satisfying sweet tooth in Scotland
- 10 Minimum age to rent a hotel or hostel room
- 11 apartment
- 12 Athens, Greece, hotel recommendations
- 13 travel insurance
- 14 Taxi from CDG to Paris for 4. Cost?
- 15 Best way to tour Sicily?
- 16 Student with no visa: Will I be denied re-entry into Germany???
- 17 Anciet Brits Were Cannibals
- 18 Train tickets and Theatre tickets: how far in advance to book?
- 19 Powerscourt OR Glendalough?
- 20 London and nearby suggestions
- 21 Brighton-bath Uk
- 22 Suggestions for a week in Europe
- 23 Southeast Sicily for 10 days
- 24 Help! Overwhelmed by Italy Trip Planning
- 25 Logistics for Rental Car in Spain