I'm traveling from Munich to Istanbul with my 3 kids (2 teenagers & 6 yo) in May. Was planning on flying until I saw the seat61 site. Now I'm considering taking the train one way and flying back to Munich on a budget airline (Pegasus? Turkish Airlines?). I can get tickets online from debahn from Munich to Budapest, but am at a loss on how to purchase tickets for the rest of the trip. Can I wait until we get to Germany and then purchase them from a debahn station (we'll be in Germany for 3 weeks before we head to Turkey)? Or should I just wait and purchase tickets at the train stations in Budapest (for the Budapest-Bucharest leg) and Bucharest (for the Bucharest-Istanbul leg)? Has anyone taken this route recently? (I'm aware of the transfer to bus at the Turkish border.) How easy is it to purchase the tickets at the train station for travel that day (English is my only language)? I'll have US dollars and euros, but not local currency.
train travel from munich to istanbul
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Picasso Museum-Paris
- 2 3 weeks France + north Italy itinerary
- 3 What to wear
- 4 London 2nd time around
- 5 Greece trip report - winter in the center - Epirus, Pelion etc
- 6 travel from Edinburgh to Paris
- 7 german rail ticket question
- 8 Madrid and London
- 9 Fashion for larger man?
- 10 Side trip from Nice to wine country suggestions
- 11 Arc de Triumph Question
- 12 Greek ferries
- 13 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 14 Naxos Island: Best Way to Get Around?
- 15 Germany A'dam Belgium Itinerary Help
- 16 Barcelona Airport to Las Ramblas / recommended transportation??
- 17 CRETE - Rethymnon area or Chania area ??
- 18 Prague flea markets
- 19 I Go to Pieces — An Italy Trip Report
- 20 Tipping in Turkey ...and Europe
- 21 Connecting with forum locals in Paris
- 22 Pegasus Airlines for domestic flights in Turkey. Luggage?
- 23 Monet in Normandy
- 24 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 25 Genealogy travel in Lithuania?