My partner and I will be going to Wuppertal, Germany and Vienna, Austria in September. We will need to get from Cologne airport to Wuppertal and then from Wuppertal to Dusseldorf airport two days later. From Dusseldorf we fly to Austria and spend 5 nights.
Will I be able to use my magnetic stripe credit card to purchase Deutsche Bahn tickets from an automated kiosk for the train travel in Germany? (None of my credit cards are chip and pin.) Also, will I be able to purchase a week ticket (Wochenkarte) from a kiosk with my magnetic stripe card?
Thanks for your input. I have been hearing a lot about Americans having difficulty using their credit cards overseas due to not conforming with the European Chip and Pin technology.
Train tickets in Germany and Vienna and magnetic stripe credit cards
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is my plan ok
- 2 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 3 Austria to Italy by car - best route
- 4 Since Paris is ALWAYS good idea
- 5 Southern Spain
- 6 5 Observations About Paris
- 7 5 Hoosiers - help with route through Germany
- 8 London Experts - What do you think of this apartment?
- 9 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 10 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 11 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 12 Combinations euro rail and river cruise
- 13 Scotland November 2015
- 14 Luggage storage in Barcelona
- 15 Five Nights in Budapest: A Quick Winter Getaway
- 16 Euro Trivia Quiz #12 - Know Your Rivers?
- 17 Itinerary help, England/Wales
- 18 Best Option for London Travelcard?
- 19 Paris to Barcelona by car/train - including Loire/Bordeax/Carcassonne
- 20 Best places to stay in Bristol?
- 21 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 22 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 23 Museums in Berlin
- 24 Schengen Visa Rules
- 25 Recommended overnight stops on Iceland ring road