My partner and I will be going to Wuppertal, Germany and Vienna, Austria in September. We will need to get from Cologne airport to Wuppertal and then from Wuppertal to Dusseldorf airport two days later. From Dusseldorf we fly to Austria and spend 5 nights.
Will I be able to use my magnetic stripe credit card to purchase Deutsche Bahn tickets from an automated kiosk for the train travel in Germany? (None of my credit cards are chip and pin.) Also, will I be able to purchase a week ticket (Wochenkarte) from a kiosk with my magnetic stripe card?
Thanks for your input. I have been hearing a lot about Americans having difficulty using their credit cards overseas due to not conforming with the European Chip and Pin technology.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Berlin and chocolate lovers
- 2 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 3 Norway Itinerary
- 4 London - Lakes - Hadrian - Traquair and more...
- 5 First time Germany Frankfurt to Munich 2 weeks
- 6 Eagle's Nest weather, Germany
- 7 Any details on the explosions at the Istanbul Airport?
- 8 Dolomites October 14-18
- 9 Day in Dublin with Private Guide
- 10 Charles Degaulle question
- 11 8 days in Madrid/Sevilla/Granada
- 12 Edinburgh to Bath - what is best option? train or plane
- 13 Pompeii luggage storage
- 14 Departure Tax in UK
- 15 Family of 4 in a couchette from Venice
- 16 FCO connection time
- 17 Tuscany Region - Public Transportation or Rental Car?
- 18 Train Help
- 19 First time in Italy
- 20 Train rides
- 21 Is a canal pass and museum entry worth buying ahead of visit?
- 22 Bel Canto restaurant, Paris
- 23 Cancelling apartment in PARIS
- 24 One week in & near Marseille
- 25 Need Ireland Itinerary Help
Train tickets in Germany and Vienna and magnetic stripe credit cards