My partner and I will be going to Wuppertal, Germany and Vienna, Austria in September. We will need to get from Cologne airport to Wuppertal and then from Wuppertal to Dusseldorf airport two days later. From Dusseldorf we fly to Austria and spend 5 nights.
Will I be able to use my magnetic stripe credit card to purchase Deutsche Bahn tickets from an automated kiosk for the train travel in Germany? (None of my credit cards are chip and pin.) Also, will I be able to purchase a week ticket (Wochenkarte) from a kiosk with my magnetic stripe card?
Thanks for your input. I have been hearing a lot about Americans having difficulty using their credit cards overseas due to not conforming with the European Chip and Pin technology.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Booking hotels before trains
- 2 Our week in Scotland—“againn san t-seachdain ann an Alba”
- 3 First time in France
- 4 Best European Cities for Walking Challenged
- 5 What to expect over Christmas
- 6 Eiffel Tower Fireworks Photos July 14th
- 7 Planning stages of trip to Andalusia
- 8 English Countryside
- 9 When is Pope's schedule released for 2017?
- 10 First time to London - couple for lodging
- 11 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 12 Copenhagen to Oslo to Amsterdam: Are we nuts?
- 13 Vienna or Budapest?
- 14 Rome
- 15 Thoughts on an unusual itinerary for Northern Spain please
- 16 Getting from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes
- 17 Munich
- 18 Need help in travel planning
- 19 Paris---baguette question???
- 20 Portugal itinerary help
- 21 Puglia or La Langhe
- 22 Switzerland, Austria, Prague and Munich
- 23 Revised post- cruise itinerary
- 24 Stay in Multalcino or Montepulciano
- 25 Visiting Spain in January
Train tickets in Germany and Vienna and magnetic stripe credit cards