My partner and I will be going to Wuppertal, Germany and Vienna, Austria in September. We will need to get from Cologne airport to Wuppertal and then from Wuppertal to Dusseldorf airport two days later. From Dusseldorf we fly to Austria and spend 5 nights.
Will I be able to use my magnetic stripe credit card to purchase Deutsche Bahn tickets from an automated kiosk for the train travel in Germany? (None of my credit cards are chip and pin.) Also, will I be able to purchase a week ticket (Wochenkarte) from a kiosk with my magnetic stripe card?
Thanks for your input. I have been hearing a lot about Americans having difficulty using their credit cards overseas due to not conforming with the European Chip and Pin technology.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Wanted: Clever Travel Tips!
- 2 Feedback on 3-Week Spain Itinerary
- 3 April in Paris...with a Side of Bordeaux
- 4 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 5 Tips question
- 6 Still another Provence Provence advice request
- 7 Nothern versus Southern region of Spain
- 8 Can I drive in Europe with a US license?
- 9 itinerary Help? 2 weeks in Scandinavia
- 10 Itinerary help - Sweden and Norway (June-July)
- 11 Alsace Accommodations
- 12 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 13 When neurotic people plan vacations
- 14 CDG airport, 2 tickets
- 15 Sorrento or Positano
- 16 tipping
- 17 Advice about Naples?
- 18 Gstaad, trip for 2 days
- 19 Germany "Riddled with Crime"?
- 20 Relaxing destinations?
- 21 What clothes?
- 22 Airport Transfer Vienna
- 23 Florence-Uffizi and Accademia guided tour
- 24 Where to stay in lavender country in Provence?
- 25 What is the French job 'Rectifieur (ouvrier)'?
Train tickets in Germany and Vienna and magnetic stripe credit cards