My partner and I will be going to Wuppertal, Germany and Vienna, Austria in September. We will need to get from Cologne airport to Wuppertal and then from Wuppertal to Dusseldorf airport two days later. From Dusseldorf we fly to Austria and spend 5 nights.
Will I be able to use my magnetic stripe credit card to purchase Deutsche Bahn tickets from an automated kiosk for the train travel in Germany? (None of my credit cards are chip and pin.) Also, will I be able to purchase a week ticket (Wochenkarte) from a kiosk with my magnetic stripe card?
Thanks for your input. I have been hearing a lot about Americans having difficulty using their credit cards overseas due to not conforming with the European Chip and Pin technology.
Train tickets in Germany and Vienna and magnetic stripe credit cards
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 specific question about my possible trip to europe with Schengen law
- 2 Two Bonnie Lasses: A Road Trip from Edinburgh to London
- 3 Where to leave luggage while touring Amsterdam for 10 hours
- 4 Cotswolds village base
- 5 Crete Chania and the Libyan Sea villages
- 6 Portugal end of August - Barcelos - clothing?
- 7 I booked "Paris in Winter"
- 8 Walking Tours in Rome and Florence
- 9 Should I book train tickets before I arrive in Switzerland ?
- 10 Amalfi Coast vs Greece
- 11 Confused about tipping in Swiss restaurants
- 12 Please help us maximize our time in each European city
- 13 Determing Location of FIRST BIG TRIP - Where do go in Italy?
- 14 Does this itinerary work and make sense? Help!
- 15 Netherlands Delta Works
- 16 Southern Italy without a Car
- 17 Two rail trips in Italy - buy tickets at station the day of, or rail pass?
- 18 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 19 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 20 Hotel in Rome?
- 21 Scotland trip report July 2014, chapter 1
- 22 Visit to Bath and London england
- 23 IRELAND - the driving is great: east to west, south to north!
- 24 Bus to Vietri Sul Mare?
- 25 Puglia--need hotel for last 2 nites HELP trip is coming up