My partner and I will be going to Wuppertal, Germany and Vienna, Austria in September. We will need to get from Cologne airport to Wuppertal and then from Wuppertal to Dusseldorf airport two days later. From Dusseldorf we fly to Austria and spend 5 nights.
Will I be able to use my magnetic stripe credit card to purchase Deutsche Bahn tickets from an automated kiosk for the train travel in Germany? (None of my credit cards are chip and pin.) Also, will I be able to purchase a week ticket (Wochenkarte) from a kiosk with my magnetic stripe card?
Thanks for your input. I have been hearing a lot about Americans having difficulty using their credit cards overseas due to not conforming with the European Chip and Pin technology.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Holiday in Austria
- 2 Stay in El Born, in Barcelona, and getting to the Languedoc, France
- 3 Help with air/train logistics in U.K.!
- 4 Handicap Assistance at Charles de Gaulle - Our Experience
- 5 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 6 A couple of questions which are not quite answered
- 7 Rue des Rosiers
- 8 What one thing in Paris?
- 9 Paris for Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve
- 10 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 11 Christmas Market-ing in the Salzkammergut
- 12 First Trip to Europe!
- 13 Switzerland in mid-April
- 14 sfo to europe
- 15 Snakes on a Plane? Our Thanksgiving in Paris!
- 16 How a Greek DIY expert ended up on a Greek Island Cruise
- 17 Scotland itinerary, helm me with15 night itinerary
- 18 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 19 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 20 Car rental leaving Rome
- 21 Critique my Budapest itinerary please!
- 22 Trip Report - Croatia, Sept 22 -Oct 12 (Slovenia, Bosnia..)
- 23 Normandy and England in November Trip Planning
- 24 A Walk in Tuscany, New Places to Discover, & A Life Time of memories
- 25 Purchasing Italian train tickets from USA!
Train tickets in Germany and Vienna and magnetic stripe credit cards