My partner and I will be going to Wuppertal, Germany and Vienna, Austria in September. We will need to get from Cologne airport to Wuppertal and then from Wuppertal to Dusseldorf airport two days later. From Dusseldorf we fly to Austria and spend 5 nights.
Will I be able to use my magnetic stripe credit card to purchase Deutsche Bahn tickets from an automated kiosk for the train travel in Germany? (None of my credit cards are chip and pin.) Also, will I be able to purchase a week ticket (Wochenkarte) from a kiosk with my magnetic stripe card?
Thanks for your input. I have been hearing a lot about Americans having difficulty using their credit cards overseas due to not conforming with the European Chip and Pin technology.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Iceland and Germany, late Oct.-Nov trip, need feedback!
- 2 Istanbul: Where to buy well-made slippers in Sultanahmet (Arasta...)?
- 3 5 Days in Corsica
- 4 Cork or Galway?
- 5 French lavender and cottages
- 6 Underground between kings Cross and Waterloo Main Line Station
- 7 My Home Exchange Near Lake Como
- 8 Barcelona completely overrated
- 9 3 days to spend in europe
- 10 Arrival day suggestions (South Kensington)
- 11 Day Trip to Greenland from Reykjavik
- 12 Seville in late January
- 13 Geneva Airport Arrival
- 14 What am I missing: Amsterdam
- 15 My 3 Week Home Exchange in Iceland
- 16 Amsterdam or any other city near London/Paris
- 17 Cotswald boutique hotel recommendations
- 18 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 19 Itinerary Help B&Bs
- 20 Italy in October
- 21 Well, I'm always warning people
- 22 Trip Report: Bulgaria, Danube River cruise, and more, May 2016
- 23 Guides - Matera
- 24 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 25 Travel to Karlsrhue
Train tickets in Germany and Vienna and magnetic stripe credit cards