I'll be travelling in Italy in late September and early October, alone. When my flight lands in Rome, I'll be taking the express to Termini, then a train to Florence and spending a couple days there, then Pisa for 1/2 day, Siena for 1-1/2 days, a bus back to Florence, train to Naples and surroundings (Pompeii, Herculaneum, Amalfi, Paestum) for a few days, train back to Rome for 10 days, and a flight back home.
Many of the trains will be Trenitalia, with some Circumvesuviana around Pompeii, but there are a few Frecciarossa trains (Rome-Florence, Florence-Naples, Naples-Rome).
I'm hoping it is OK to just buy train tickets at the departure station, because I don't know whether my flight to Rome will be late in arriving, or exactly what time I'll make it to the train station in Florence from my bus trip from Pisa, or what time I'll arrive in Naples train station from my train from Paestum.
Is this plan OK, or do the Frecciarossa sell out, making me buy tickets online in advance to avoid wasting time sitting in train stations for the next train. If I buy in advance and miss the departure, am I out of luck, or is there some provision to let me on the next train?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 13 nights in switzerland
- 2 Jamikins? Other Italy travelers? Need car info, please.
- 3 10-Day Trip Planned..Need Recommendations
- 4 weekend from cologne germany
- 5 Earthquake near Naples
- 6 My final Prague itinerary
- 7 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!
- 8 London Theater
- 9 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 10 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 11 UK or France or elsewhere, July 2018, good price from west coast?
- 12 where to stay between Salamanca and Zaragoza?
- 13 Switzerland in September
- 14 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 15 Driving from Rome to Sicily and back
- 16 Munich itinerary review
- 17 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 18 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 19 Christmas - New Year Holiday
- 20 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 21 Last minute trip to Germany and Switzerland
- 22 Help with my trip to Paris and London
- 23 3nights in Venice
- 24 multi city flights to europe
- 25 Europe itinerary questions