I'll be travelling in Italy in late September and early October, alone. When my flight lands in Rome, I'll be taking the express to Termini, then a train to Florence and spending a couple days there, then Pisa for 1/2 day, Siena for 1-1/2 days, a bus back to Florence, train to Naples and surroundings (Pompeii, Herculaneum, Amalfi, Paestum) for a few days, train back to Rome for 10 days, and a flight back home.
Many of the trains will be Trenitalia, with some Circumvesuviana around Pompeii, but there are a few Frecciarossa trains (Rome-Florence, Florence-Naples, Naples-Rome).
I'm hoping it is OK to just buy train tickets at the departure station, because I don't know whether my flight to Rome will be late in arriving, or exactly what time I'll make it to the train station in Florence from my bus trip from Pisa, or what time I'll arrive in Naples train station from my train from Paestum.
Is this plan OK, or do the Frecciarossa sell out, making me buy tickets online in advance to avoid wasting time sitting in train stations for the next train. If I buy in advance and miss the departure, am I out of luck, or is there some provision to let me on the next train?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Edinbrugh
- 2 Berlin to ?
- 3 Riviera di Ponente in mid October
- 4 Hotels in Turin
- 5 Help on ancient history route
- 6 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 7 Studying art in English in venice
- 8 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 9 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 10 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 11 15 days in Croatia - Advise Needed
- 12 Forte dei Marmi - must see/do list
- 13 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 14 Forte dei Marmi with kids.....
- 15 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 16 3 days solo in London
- 17 Chania
- 18 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 19 Day hikes in Switzerland
- 20 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 21 Croatia itinerary - need advice
- 22 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 23 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
- 24 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 25 Swiss Pass vs Half Fare Card??