I'll be travelling in Italy in late September and early October, alone. When my flight lands in Rome, I'll be taking the express to Termini, then a train to Florence and spending a couple days there, then Pisa for 1/2 day, Siena for 1-1/2 days, a bus back to Florence, train to Naples and surroundings (Pompeii, Herculaneum, Amalfi, Paestum) for a few days, train back to Rome for 10 days, and a flight back home.
Many of the trains will be Trenitalia, with some Circumvesuviana around Pompeii, but there are a few Frecciarossa trains (Rome-Florence, Florence-Naples, Naples-Rome).
I'm hoping it is OK to just buy train tickets at the departure station, because I don't know whether my flight to Rome will be late in arriving, or exactly what time I'll make it to the train station in Florence from my bus trip from Pisa, or what time I'll arrive in Naples train station from my train from Paestum.
Is this plan OK, or do the Frecciarossa sell out, making me buy tickets online in advance to avoid wasting time sitting in train stations for the next train. If I buy in advance and miss the departure, am I out of luck, or is there some provision to let me on the next train?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 House Hunting in France
- 2 Apartment & Location Recommendation in Paris
- 3 An hour and ten min enough for connection?
- 4 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 5 Granada to Madrid
- 6 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 7 Cognac transportation?
- 8 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #150
- 9 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 10 English Countryside
- 11 Andalusia March 2 - March 11 Barcelona to Lisbon
- 12 Where to buy Saffron?
- 13 8 to 9 days in switzerland with swiss pass
- 14 Barcelona cooking classes
- 15 Athens daytrip - feasible?
- 16 1st time in ZURICH
- 17 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 18 Trip to CPH - Connection time in Oslo?
- 19 No Train On Kings Day Amsterdam?
- 20 May/June 2016 - Switzerland, Germany, and Austria - Hiking Included
- 21 Prague, Rome or Amsterdam
- 22 12 days itinerary - Netherland, Belgium & Germany
- 23 If you had to choose one......
- 24 Austria / Bavaria in late Oct/Early Nov
- 25 Need help with itinerary! Switzerland, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia