Hey Fodor Gurus!
My fiance and I will be honeymooning in Italy for 20 days in June. After landing in Venice and spending a few days there, we'll be taking the train to Florence, where we've allotted nearly a week because we're both big wine and pasta fans and wanted the time to explore different vineyards, cooking class options, etc. in the Tuscan areas.
My question is, what's the best way for us to do this - should we hire a driver and do day trips from Florence to the vineyards/villas/classes and back, or should we drive ourselves? And, if we do the driving, is it in our best interest to stay over at (or close to) our excursion instead of driving back to Florence?
Essentially, I'm looking to avoid getting lost in the middle of the Italian countryside when we don't speak the language, and I don't have any idea how hard or easy it is to navigate the area.
If you think we're better off hiring a driver, any suggestions out there of a great one? And, if you have any killer recommendations for non-commercial wineries/vineyards, villas or cooking classes, send them my way as we haven't booked a blessed thing yet!
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Suggestion for trip to Switzerland, Greece and Italy
- 2 Road trip with our dog
- 3 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 4 italy Cinque Terre
- 5 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 6 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 7 Renfe AVE, Alvia & Avant Trains
- 8 Ireland with 2 young kids
- 9 Munich and....???
- 10 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 11 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 12 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 13 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 14 Spanish Medical Providers
- 15 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 16 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 17 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 18 Can parking
- 19 From the Riviera to Rome: Two Terrific Weeks in Italy
- 20 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 21 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 22 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 23 VAT refund transferring through CDG
- 24 Driving through Paris
- 25 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
Hey Fodor Gurus!