I’m the editor of Fodor’s England and Great Britain guidebooks, and I’ve been reading some terrific threads sharing your experiences and plans for traveling in Britain, from renting apartments in Scotland to choosing an itinerary for the Cotswolds.
Now I’m hoping for your help with a new feature to be included in the guides called “Beating the Pound.” Earlier this year our London editor, Cate, asked for tips about keeping down the cost of travel in London and England. The response was great, and many comments focused on London, not surprisingly—it’s pricey!
But I know you travel all around England, Scotland, and Wales, and I’d like to start a thread with general and specific advice for keeping costs down beyond the capital. Are bed-and-breakfasts the way to go, or is renting an apartment or a house a better deal? How can you find price breaks on hotel rooms? Transportation can cost a fortune: what are the best deals for car rentals and train and bus tickets? Can families take advantage of special breaks, such as sightseeing passes? Are pub lunches still a good value for saving money on food? Have you found some regions less expensive than others, and has that affected your itinerary?
Just as with our other Word of Mouth features, you’re eligible for a complimentary guide of your choice if you’re quoted. Happy---and well-priced---travels to everyone, and thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 2 Paris for Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve
- 3 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 4 Car rental leaving Rome
- 5 Scotland itinerary, helm me with15 night itinerary
- 6 A couple of questions which are not quite answered
- 7 Critique my Budapest itinerary please!
- 8 Handicap Assistance at Charles de Gaulle - Our Experience
- 9 Trip Report - Croatia, Sept 22 -Oct 12 (Slovenia, Bosnia..)
- 10 Christmas Market-ing in the Salzkammergut
- 11 Normandy and England in November Trip Planning
- 12 Stay in El Born, in Barcelona, and getting to the Languedoc, France
- 13 A Walk in Tuscany, New Places to Discover, & A Life Time of memories
- 14 Purchasing Italian train tickets from USA!
- 15 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 16 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 17 Car Rental in Italy
- 18 Rue des Rosiers
- 19 Last min prep for Krakow - Questions
- 20 thursdaysd Wanders South
- 21 First Trip to Europe!
- 22 Paris Under Seige...
- 23 Italy with my 22 year old son
- 24 Pyrenees villages sth of Lourdes
- 25 Interested in Icelandic cuisine?