I’m the editor of Fodor’s England and Great Britain guidebooks, and I’ve been reading some terrific threads sharing your experiences and plans for traveling in Britain, from renting apartments in Scotland to choosing an itinerary for the Cotswolds.
Now I’m hoping for your help with a new feature to be included in the guides called “Beating the Pound.” Earlier this year our London editor, Cate, asked for tips about keeping down the cost of travel in London and England. The response was great, and many comments focused on London, not surprisingly—it’s pricey!
But I know you travel all around England, Scotland, and Wales, and I’d like to start a thread with general and specific advice for keeping costs down beyond the capital. Are bed-and-breakfasts the way to go, or is renting an apartment or a house a better deal? How can you find price breaks on hotel rooms? Transportation can cost a fortune: what are the best deals for car rentals and train and bus tickets? Can families take advantage of special breaks, such as sightseeing passes? Are pub lunches still a good value for saving money on food? Have you found some regions less expensive than others, and has that affected your itinerary?
Just as with our other Word of Mouth features, you’re eligible for a complimentary guide of your choice if you’re quoted. Happy---and well-priced---travels to everyone, and thanks for your help!
Tips for Beating the Pound in Britain
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A weekend in Europe--where to go?
- 2 England, Scotland, Ireland, and France... Where do I start?! (three weeks)
- 3 Two Week Big Fat Family Vacation to Greece
- 4 Favorite Views of Paris?
- 5 There Nights in London - Lodging, Tour, Places
- 6 Speeding ticket in Germany: how do I handle this?
- 7 There Nights in Paris - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 8 There Nights in Venice - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 9 Croatia itinerary
- 10 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 11 Trip report/blog - 2 weeks in Amsterdam, Belgium, and South Africa
- 12 Advice and suggestions welcome for 2 month trip
- 13 Dilemma for Switzerland
- 14 Itinerey help for a 27 day trip to Europe for April of 2015
- 15 Buying Train Tickets on line in advance of Trip to Italy
- 16 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 17 Sigh....Swiss Pass HELP!
- 18 Impressions of Bad Tolz?
- 19 Visit to Bath and London england
- 20 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 21 10 days in England
- 22 December in Munich, Salzburg, Graz, and Budapest
- 23 Please critique my Croatia/Slovenia itinerary
- 24 Iceland! Summer 2015 Wanna help with my itinerary??
- 25 London - Paris - Venice - Flight & Transport Questions