I’m the editor of Fodor’s England and Great Britain guidebooks, and I’ve been reading some terrific threads sharing your experiences and plans for traveling in Britain, from renting apartments in Scotland to choosing an itinerary for the Cotswolds.
Now I’m hoping for your help with a new feature to be included in the guides called “Beating the Pound.” Earlier this year our London editor, Cate, asked for tips about keeping down the cost of travel in London and England. The response was great, and many comments focused on London, not surprisingly—it’s pricey!
But I know you travel all around England, Scotland, and Wales, and I’d like to start a thread with general and specific advice for keeping costs down beyond the capital. Are bed-and-breakfasts the way to go, or is renting an apartment or a house a better deal? How can you find price breaks on hotel rooms? Transportation can cost a fortune: what are the best deals for car rentals and train and bus tickets? Can families take advantage of special breaks, such as sightseeing passes? Are pub lunches still a good value for saving money on food? Have you found some regions less expensive than others, and has that affected your itinerary?
Just as with our other Word of Mouth features, you’re eligible for a complimentary guide of your choice if you’re quoted. Happy---and well-priced---travels to everyone, and thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Which European country to visit in November? Spain/Italy/France?
- 2 Stockholm & Copenhagen - 7 Nights early Sep
- 3 Earthquake, so sad for Italy
- 4 http://isscamreview.com/tanaka-cargill-group-scam/
- 5 Milan to Zurich - stops & stayovers
- 6 Sicily transportation
- 7 Car Rental at Malaga Port
- 8 One quick week -- where in France?
- 9 3 days with a Swindon base
- 10 Brugge or Ghent?
- 11 Berlin Hotel feedback
- 12 Traveling from Sicily, Italy to Greece
- 13 Renaissance art - what is a "bierhead" ?
- 14 dubrovnik activities. Bay of Kotor
- 15 Jetlagged first day in Hamburg
- 16 Need help - Interlaken OR Zermatt / St.Martiz to spend time
- 17 Krka waterfalls- Best time and best hotel?
- 18 Which Guided Tour ??
- 19 easy daytrip from Firenze (without car)
- 20 What Greek islands should I visit
- 21 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 22 Day trips on Irish Rail from Dublin?
- 23 Train to L'Aquila italy
- 24 Citadines Trafalgar Square
- 25 Local markets in Italy