I’m the editor of Fodor’s England and Great Britain guidebooks, and I’ve been reading some terrific threads sharing your experiences and plans for traveling in Britain, from renting apartments in Scotland to choosing an itinerary for the Cotswolds.
Now I’m hoping for your help with a new feature to be included in the guides called “Beating the Pound.” Earlier this year our London editor, Cate, asked for tips about keeping down the cost of travel in London and England. The response was great, and many comments focused on London, not surprisingly—it’s pricey!
But I know you travel all around England, Scotland, and Wales, and I’d like to start a thread with general and specific advice for keeping costs down beyond the capital. Are bed-and-breakfasts the way to go, or is renting an apartment or a house a better deal? How can you find price breaks on hotel rooms? Transportation can cost a fortune: what are the best deals for car rentals and train and bus tickets? Can families take advantage of special breaks, such as sightseeing passes? Are pub lunches still a good value for saving money on food? Have you found some regions less expensive than others, and has that affected your itinerary?
Just as with our other Word of Mouth features, you’re eligible for a complimentary guide of your choice if you’re quoted. Happy---and well-priced---travels to everyone, and thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 2 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?
- 3 Christmas Markets 2017
- 4 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 5 Language to use in Belgium
- 6 Private Ephesus Tour Companies
- 7 Istanbul at Easter
- 8 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 9 Palermo Apartment
- 10 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 11 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 12 Please help 21 day driving tour Wales & Southern England Sept 2017
- 13 SURPRISE TRIP
- 14 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 15 What's it like staying in a big agriturismo-like complex?
- 16 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 17 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 18 Barcelona - places to stay
- 19 Fado in Lisbon
- 20 Best way to get around Scotland w/out a rental car??
- 21 Switzerland for 2 weeks
- 22 Help with Italy Itinerary
- 23 Moldova and Transnistria
- 24 Camogli and surrounds
- 25 Central London indoor swimming locations