I’m the editor of Fodor’s England and Great Britain guidebooks, and I’ve been reading some terrific threads sharing your experiences and plans for traveling in Britain, from renting apartments in Scotland to choosing an itinerary for the Cotswolds.
Now I’m hoping for your help with a new feature to be included in the guides called “Beating the Pound.” Earlier this year our London editor, Cate, asked for tips about keeping down the cost of travel in London and England. The response was great, and many comments focused on London, not surprisingly—it’s pricey!
But I know you travel all around England, Scotland, and Wales, and I’d like to start a thread with general and specific advice for keeping costs down beyond the capital. Are bed-and-breakfasts the way to go, or is renting an apartment or a house a better deal? How can you find price breaks on hotel rooms? Transportation can cost a fortune: what are the best deals for car rentals and train and bus tickets? Can families take advantage of special breaks, such as sightseeing passes? Are pub lunches still a good value for saving money on food? Have you found some regions less expensive than others, and has that affected your itinerary?
Just as with our other Word of Mouth features, you’re eligible for a complimentary guide of your choice if you’re quoted. Happy---and well-priced---travels to everyone, and thanks for your help!
Tips for Beating the Pound in Britain
- 1 Looking for a serviced apartment in York
- 2 7 days in Andalucia
- 3 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 4 4 Women Exploring London Dec 19-23
- 5 a week in Ireland over New year's
- 6 Paris: Where to Christmas Shop for Teen and Tween
- 7 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 8 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 9 Euro Train
- 10 Manchester UK-good place for a Thanksgiving dinner?
- 11 Northern Italy Honeymoon- Alps and Italian Favorites
- 12 Where to stay in Copenhagen
- 13 Traveling within Italy
- 14 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 15 London for Christmas
- 16 Day Trips from Florence: Tours or On Our Own???
- 17 To Paris and Provence in June
- 18 Florence in October
- 19 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 20 first european holiday itinery
- 21 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 22 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 23 Going to Puglia, I hope
- 24 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 25 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.