I’m the editor of Fodor’s England and Great Britain guidebooks, and I’ve been reading some terrific threads sharing your experiences and plans for traveling in Britain, from renting apartments in Scotland to choosing an itinerary for the Cotswolds.
Now I’m hoping for your help with a new feature to be included in the guides called “Beating the Pound.” Earlier this year our London editor, Cate, asked for tips about keeping down the cost of travel in London and England. The response was great, and many comments focused on London, not surprisingly—it’s pricey!
But I know you travel all around England, Scotland, and Wales, and I’d like to start a thread with general and specific advice for keeping costs down beyond the capital. Are bed-and-breakfasts the way to go, or is renting an apartment or a house a better deal? How can you find price breaks on hotel rooms? Transportation can cost a fortune: what are the best deals for car rentals and train and bus tickets? Can families take advantage of special breaks, such as sightseeing passes? Are pub lunches still a good value for saving money on food? Have you found some regions less expensive than others, and has that affected your itinerary?
Just as with our other Word of Mouth features, you’re eligible for a complimentary guide of your choice if you’re quoted. Happy---and well-priced---travels to everyone, and thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 When to Arrive At The Airport
- 2 Italy- 18nights, 4 regions!
- 3 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
- 4 Tour of La Scala, Milan
- 5 IRetiremenrt Fantasy-Italy
- 6 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 7 now the fun stuff - need dining recs near Goult
- 8 Paris-Italy-Spain trip
- 9 When and how to book for a trip?
- 10 Visiting Cornwall September 2016
- 11 Traveling advice for Amalfi coast
- 12 Using a Cell Phone in Europe
- 13 Another strike in France : 3-5 june, airports
- 14 to do with kids 2 1/2 days with a layover in frankfurt
- 15 Prague & Croatia
- 16 Self-Drive: Dublin to Shannon, or Belfast to Dublin
- 17 Ferries from London To Normandy Beaches; biking through Formigny-Bayeux
- 18 3 week backing packing trip
- 19 Beyond the Trees: At Altitude in Italy's Snowy Dolomites
- 20 Hiking in Tyrol Austria
- 21 Car rental/train option to Paola/San Lucido Italy? - Mom and 3 kids
- 22 Fake police scam in Budapest
- 23 Switzerland/Italy Advice
- 24 Ferries from Santorini to Folegandros
- 25 holiday problem in Budapest