I’m the editor of Fodor’s England and Great Britain guidebooks, and I’ve been reading some terrific threads sharing your experiences and plans for traveling in Britain, from renting apartments in Scotland to choosing an itinerary for the Cotswolds.
Now I’m hoping for your help with a new feature to be included in the guides called “Beating the Pound.” Earlier this year our London editor, Cate, asked for tips about keeping down the cost of travel in London and England. The response was great, and many comments focused on London, not surprisingly—it’s pricey!
But I know you travel all around England, Scotland, and Wales, and I’d like to start a thread with general and specific advice for keeping costs down beyond the capital. Are bed-and-breakfasts the way to go, or is renting an apartment or a house a better deal? How can you find price breaks on hotel rooms? Transportation can cost a fortune: what are the best deals for car rentals and train and bus tickets? Can families take advantage of special breaks, such as sightseeing passes? Are pub lunches still a good value for saving money on food? Have you found some regions less expensive than others, and has that affected your itinerary?
Just as with our other Word of Mouth features, you’re eligible for a complimentary guide of your choice if you’re quoted. Happy---and well-priced---travels to everyone, and thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 6 nights in Dublin
- 2 Back for more Honeymoon Help
- 3 Return to Paris after 15 Years
- 4 Going to Istanbul for 3 days
- 5 Puglia and Matera
- 6 two weeks trip to Switzerland and French Rivwra
- 7 Venice - airport, cruise ship terminal, hotel, & airport taxi question
- 8 Getting to Cinque Terre from Croatia
- 9 Newbie - seeking any advice
- 10 Paris tipping hotel maids
- 11 After Bordeaux - any suggestions?
- 12 Getting married in Europe- Ceremony
- 13 What to see in Madrid - by a local
- 14 Venice 2.25 day Itinerary
- 15 Hungary outside of Budapest
- 16 One week in Budapest
- 17 Help with 1 week in Normandy / Loire Valley
- 18 9 Days Family Trip to London-Paris- Switzerland
- 19 Help, traveling to Barcelona with Baby
- 20 Lechazo in Castilla; Burgos; Extebarri; Getaria; SS (??)
- 21 A great read for anyone visiting the UK.
- 22 Are children really happy in their childhood?
- 23 How to order free Lebara SIM card from the U.S.?
- 24 Qustions: Europen river cruises solo
- 25 Almafi Coast Vs. French Riviera