I’m the editor of Fodor’s England and Great Britain guidebooks, and I’ve been reading some terrific threads sharing your experiences and plans for traveling in Britain, from renting apartments in Scotland to choosing an itinerary for the Cotswolds.
Now I’m hoping for your help with a new feature to be included in the guides called “Beating the Pound.” Earlier this year our London editor, Cate, asked for tips about keeping down the cost of travel in London and England. The response was great, and many comments focused on London, not surprisingly—it’s pricey!
But I know you travel all around England, Scotland, and Wales, and I’d like to start a thread with general and specific advice for keeping costs down beyond the capital. Are bed-and-breakfasts the way to go, or is renting an apartment or a house a better deal? How can you find price breaks on hotel rooms? Transportation can cost a fortune: what are the best deals for car rentals and train and bus tickets? Can families take advantage of special breaks, such as sightseeing passes? Are pub lunches still a good value for saving money on food? Have you found some regions less expensive than others, and has that affected your itinerary?
Just as with our other Word of Mouth features, you’re eligible for a complimentary guide of your choice if you’re quoted. Happy---and well-priced---travels to everyone, and thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Andalucia in December
- 2 Hotel Bonaparte, Paris
- 3 Budapest Hotels
- 4 Hotels in Dubruvnick
- 5 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 6 Van Gogh Museum advice
- 7 Apartment Review - Amsterdam
- 8 First trip to Italy
- 9 Ireland & Scotland
- 10 Thello night train from Paris to Rome?
- 11 London's Must Sights!
- 12 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 13 10 days Ireland June 30-July 11th, 2017
- 14 Planning 20th anniversary 1st trip to Italy Feb 2017.
- 15 Poland & Ukraine Summer 2017
- 16 Croatia-Slovenia- 30 days Road trip itinerary-2017
- 17 My trip to Cornwall, bookended by weekends in London
- 18 Thoughts on an unusual itinerary for Northern Spain please
- 19 Holiday trip with kids - suggestions please!
- 20 Copenhagen to Oslo to Amsterdam: Are we nuts?
- 21 Planning a self drive tour of the uk next april
- 22 Chatsworth/Hardwick Hall Timing
- 23 4 days in switzerland
- 24 Vienna or Budapest?
- 25 Britain's contactless public transport revolution moves to Oxford