I’m the editor of Fodor’s England and Great Britain guidebooks, and I’ve been reading some terrific threads sharing your experiences and plans for traveling in Britain, from renting apartments in Scotland to choosing an itinerary for the Cotswolds.
Now I’m hoping for your help with a new feature to be included in the guides called “Beating the Pound.” Earlier this year our London editor, Cate, asked for tips about keeping down the cost of travel in London and England. The response was great, and many comments focused on London, not surprisingly—it’s pricey!
But I know you travel all around England, Scotland, and Wales, and I’d like to start a thread with general and specific advice for keeping costs down beyond the capital. Are bed-and-breakfasts the way to go, or is renting an apartment or a house a better deal? How can you find price breaks on hotel rooms? Transportation can cost a fortune: what are the best deals for car rentals and train and bus tickets? Can families take advantage of special breaks, such as sightseeing passes? Are pub lunches still a good value for saving money on food? Have you found some regions less expensive than others, and has that affected your itinerary?
Just as with our other Word of Mouth features, you’re eligible for a complimentary guide of your choice if you’re quoted. Happy---and well-priced---travels to everyone, and thanks for your help!
Tips for Beating the Pound in Britain
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Venice - boats on canals
- 2 How do you organize yourself on vacation?
- 3 I was (partially) wrong about debit cards vs. cash
- 4 Need help with transfer from FCO To Vatican City
- 5 Scandinavian tour - first time!
- 6 Where in Europe would you go to escape midwestern winter?
- 7 Ghent or Paris?
- 8 Please help with itinerary...
- 9 Cooking classes in Paris - Cook n' with Class or La Cuisine?
- 10 last half day - Chinese garden or east side gallery?
- 11 September 2014 - Mykonos, Santorini, Athens!
- 12 Which area in Venice for 3 nights
- 13 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 14 A Trip Report in Pictures - Ireland, E to W, S to N
- 15 Best regions/cities for good walks (not hiking)
- 16 Cambridge to Manchester, UK
- 17 There's no Place Like London: Part 1
- 18 Flat in London -- South Lambeth or Paddington?
- 19 Land tour o fGermany, Switzerland, Austria VS. river boat trip
- 20 ever rent an apartment after you get to a city?
- 21 Hotel Reccommendations: France, Germany, Italy
- 22 France: which maps?
- 23 Where to go for 3 nights in northern Italy
- 24 Where to spend two nights relatively near Malpensa? (*but not Milan!)
- 25 Paris - city hotel with easy access to Paris Nord Villepinte Expo?