A few times servers at restaurant came to me and said "service is not included. please don't forget..." For someone who comes from Japan where tipping does not exist, it's always quite a bit of a stress trying to figure out what is appropriate and how to proceed.
Would you live a tip and how much --
Bellboys at hotels?
Private bus charter transfers?
Private guides? I understand that for "Free Tours" it's expected and common courtesy to tip the guide. In our case, we hire the guides (and pay quite a lot to begin with) .
Restaurants? This one is always the trickiest.
Individual meal / cafe break -- what's appropriate?
Group meal with a check for the whole table. for example, our last night dinner is kind of a splurge. Will be about 100-120EUR / person with drinks. times 7 people. That's like 700-800Eur. 10% is about 80Euros. An 80euro tip sounds kind of a lot, no?
I understand that there are no clear cut rules, but just wanted to see what the general consensus would be. What you personally would do in these situations.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Madrid to Northern Spain- 4 days/2 kids. Help w itinerary pls!
- 2 Help needed with Europe itinerary
- 3 UK Itinerary Help Please
- 4 Travel within Greece, and motion sickness?
- 5 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 6 Where to buy nice soaps in Paris?
- 7 Unlimited Internet Poland and best place to visit?
- 8 Which market between Bordeaux and Sarlat?
- 9 Piedmont as a destination
- 10 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 11 First Morning after arrival in Frankfurt
- 12 Best Indian / Vegetarian restaurant in Athens
- 13 HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP THE PILOT
- 14 Cornwall of the beaten path suggestions
- 15 AVIGNON / DAY TRIP Gordes or Arles
- 16 Passport proplems
- 17 13 days Sweden-Norway-Denmark itinerary help
- 18 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 19 Another Venice question - first stop of first trip to Italy
- 20 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 21 Do I have time for the Appian Way?
- 22 The Txakoli (or Chacoli) Wines of Coastal Basque Country
- 23 Croatia and Slovenia 2018
- 24 LUCKY TO BE ALIVE !!!
- 25 Getting from Positano to Rome