A few times servers at restaurant came to me and said "service is not included. please don't forget..." For someone who comes from Japan where tipping does not exist, it's always quite a bit of a stress trying to figure out what is appropriate and how to proceed.
Would you live a tip and how much --
Bellboys at hotels?
Private bus charter transfers?
Private guides? I understand that for "Free Tours" it's expected and common courtesy to tip the guide. In our case, we hire the guides (and pay quite a lot to begin with) .
Restaurants? This one is always the trickiest.
Individual meal / cafe break -- what's appropriate?
Group meal with a check for the whole table. for example, our last night dinner is kind of a splurge. Will be about 100-120EUR / person with drinks. times 7 people. That's like 700-800Eur. 10% is about 80Euros. An 80euro tip sounds kind of a lot, no?
I understand that there are no clear cut rules, but just wanted to see what the general consensus would be. What you personally would do in these situations.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 2 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 3 Ronda Wine/biking
- 4 3 weeks in London, Cornwall and a tiny piece of Wales
- 5 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 6 No Periods in British Written English!
- 7 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 8 Perugia
- 9 5 days in the Morvan (Burgundy)
- 10 First Trip from Boston to Italy
- 11 Sicily-Driving from Taormina to Cefalu
- 12 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 13 Ireland road trip in June: Where to stop?
- 14 Favorite restaurants, Florence
- 15 Areas in Milan
- 16 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 17 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 18 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 19 Ireland itinerary help please
- 20 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 21 CDG much improved
- 22 St Denis Cathedral
- 23 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 24 Versailles & musical fountains: Touristy or Magical? Skip it or Don't Miss?
- 25 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?