So I'm planning for a trip to Vienna this summer. It's the typical Prague-Vienna-Budapest in 10 days route but I'm having trouble figuring out an itinerary for Vienna for the following reasons:
1) The original plan was to leave for Budapest on August 20th night. Turns out that's St. Stephen's Day so I thought maybe we could leave Vienna in the evening to make it in time for the fireworks. That leaves me with 2.5 days.
2) We want to take a day trip to Wachau Valley/Melk Abbey, getting back in the evening. That leaves the rest of the day to explore District 1/Inner City/Ringstrasse but all the museums/attractions will be closed.
That means we have 1.5 days to visit the following places;
St. Stephens Cathedral, Austrian National Library, Belvedere Upper Palace, Leopold Museum and Schonbrunn Palace. I figured Hofburg Palace would be very similar to Schonbrunn so we could skip it.
If we did Schonbrunn Palace on the 20th before we left, is there still enough time to do the rest in one day? My plan looked something like this:
1) Morning tour (to learn about Viennese history) (2-3hrs)
2) St. Stephen's observation deck (1hr)
3) Austrian National Library (1hr)
4) Belvedere (2hr)
5) Leopold Museum (2hr)
6) Explore District 7 into the night
Are there any passes that'll allow us to bypass lines for the entire city?
There's just not enough time in the world. There's no way we can fit Kunst Haus Wien, House of Music and naschmarkt. And forget concerts because we're there in the middle of the week. I think I'd need a lifetime for this!
Anyway, thank you for your time!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Montserrat, Spain - Sept 8 or Sept 10?
- 2 Venice in October... by myself! (Please advise.)
- 3 One week in Europe
- 4 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 5 Itinerary Germany 9/10 - 9/24/17
- 6 UK or France or elsewhere, July 2018, good price from west coast?
- 7 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 8 Munich itinerary review
- 9 Private transportation between Italian Cities
- 10 What is the hostess gift you love to give or receive?
- 11 11 Days in Ireland w few hotel changes
- 12 Switzerland in September
- 13 Where to eat in Rome?
- 14 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?
- 15 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 16 Athens hotel with Acropolis view from room/balcony
- 17 Capital One 360 Card -- Fees for Cash Withdrawal?
- 18 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 19 AMS Car Rental
- 20 Posting Packages from Central Europe
- 21 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 22 London Theater
- 23 3 nights in the 10th Paris
- 24 Europe itinerary questions
- 25 Mallorca: Hotel in/near Palma?