So I'm planning for a trip to Vienna this summer. It's the typical Prague-Vienna-Budapest in 10 days route but I'm having trouble figuring out an itinerary for Vienna for the following reasons:
1) The original plan was to leave for Budapest on August 20th night. Turns out that's St. Stephen's Day so I thought maybe we could leave Vienna in the evening to make it in time for the fireworks. That leaves me with 2.5 days.
2) We want to take a day trip to Wachau Valley/Melk Abbey, getting back in the evening. That leaves the rest of the day to explore District 1/Inner City/Ringstrasse but all the museums/attractions will be closed.
That means we have 1.5 days to visit the following places;
St. Stephens Cathedral, Austrian National Library, Belvedere Upper Palace, Leopold Museum and Schonbrunn Palace. I figured Hofburg Palace would be very similar to Schonbrunn so we could skip it.
If we did Schonbrunn Palace on the 20th before we left, is there still enough time to do the rest in one day? My plan looked something like this:
1) Morning tour (to learn about Viennese history) (2-3hrs)
2) St. Stephen's observation deck (1hr)
3) Austrian National Library (1hr)
4) Belvedere (2hr)
5) Leopold Museum (2hr)
6) Explore District 7 into the night
Are there any passes that'll allow us to bypass lines for the entire city?
There's just not enough time in the world. There's no way we can fit Kunst Haus Wien, House of Music and naschmarkt. And forget concerts because we're there in the middle of the week. I think I'd need a lifetime for this!
Anyway, thank you for your time!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 2 Versailles
- 3 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 4 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 5 Sicily
- 6 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 7 Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?
- 8 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 9 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 10 Rare Curiosity-Piquing Photos From Rome + Thank You
- 11 Cote d'Azur--Having Second Thoughts...
- 12 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 13 LISBON FOOD NOTES Fall, 2016
- 14 Train help for Prague
- 15 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 16 Germany train help!
- 17 4 Days in Amalfi in April - Without a car??
- 18 Petrol in Greece
- 19 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 20 Paris to Orly Airport Public Transport
- 21 Where to enjoy Paris
- 22 Input desired concerning my Sicily itinerary
- 23 Renaissance Paris Vendome
- 24 Meteora for older folk
- 25 Tours of Versailles, Lyon