Hello one and all!
I will be travelling to the Balkans region of Europe for the month of April, specifically to Macedonia, Montenegro, Croatia and Slovenia. I am very keen on doing outdoor activities on this trip, things like hiking, rafting and mountain biking.
Virtually all the travel books that I read pertaining to these few countries warn of the prevalence of ticks and the diseases they carry - encephalitis and lyme disease. Both of these are quite serious afflictions. Furthermore, I was informed that tick bites can be quite common if one walks unprotected in high grass and forested regions.
Is the tick problem really as serious as it is made out to be in travel literature? Do I have to precautionary measures when I go out into the wild? And if so, what exactly should I do to prepare? There is a vaccine available for encephalitis, but it takes over 6 months to complete the vaccination process. I have not got the luxury of time, unfortunately.
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Catalunya, Cathars and Castles (and vino!)
- 2 RER C to Versailles on Wed. - still a good option due to Paris strikes?
- 3 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
- 4 Sentimental Journey
- 5 A few last minute questions
- 6 Rudesheim Bacharach or other suggestions.
- 7 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.
- 8 Train Travel Northern Italy
- 9 French Strike Chaos to Get Worse?
- 10 3 weeks, 3 European Countries, 6 cities
- 11 10 days in Spain (Madrid and ???)
- 12 I'm sorting out my stuff for the next trip.
- 13 Paris, Versailles and Jet Lag
- 14 Venice - Tour suggestions
- 15 Stay away from EF Tours
- 16 French Vacation in Mid-America
- 17 12 days in the Italian Lakes
- 18 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
- 19 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 20 Is Mljet a reasonable substitute for Korcula?
- 21 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 22 Croatia: Zagreb to Dubrovnik HELP
- 23 Antwerp Tram
- 24 Trip report European honeymoon
- 25 Tour of La Scala, Milan
Hello one and all!