Hello one and all!
I will be travelling to the Balkans region of Europe for the month of April, specifically to Macedonia, Montenegro, Croatia and Slovenia. I am very keen on doing outdoor activities on this trip, things like hiking, rafting and mountain biking.
Virtually all the travel books that I read pertaining to these few countries warn of the prevalence of ticks and the diseases they carry - encephalitis and lyme disease. Both of these are quite serious afflictions. Furthermore, I was informed that tick bites can be quite common if one walks unprotected in high grass and forested regions.
Is the tick problem really as serious as it is made out to be in travel literature? Do I have to precautionary measures when I go out into the wild? And if so, what exactly should I do to prepare? There is a vaccine available for encephalitis, but it takes over 6 months to complete the vaccination process. I have not got the luxury of time, unfortunately.
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy and Spain 4 weeks - 1st attempt at an itinary
- 2 italy itinerary
- 3 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 4 3 days with a Swindon base
- 5 What to do in Lauterbrunnen with Toddler
- 6 3 days to spend in europe
- 7 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 8 Dordogne day trips by boat - options?
- 9 What countries to visit in Europe (50 days) for teenagers
- 10 Travel WiFi - France
- 11 Looking for Tour in Italy
- 12 RFID Protection
- 13 Beaches in Southern France
- 14 Greenland from the Air trip report, photo gallery
- 15 Where to eat Paella in Valencia?
- 16 Paris to Ramstein
- 17 15+ days in Sicily -- first crack at itinerary
- 18 Train Ticket with Swiss Pass or individual ticket?
- 19 The annual Ganesha procession in Paris
- 20 Letter Designations on Transport Lines and Barcelona Card
- 21 Driving Tour - Bari to Bologna
- 22 Toddler stroller - Yes or No for Switzerland trip?
- 23 Day Trip to Greenland from Reykjavik
- 24 Wine tasting in Santorini
- 25 Dublin Hotel Advice & Construction
Hello one and all!