Hello one and all!
I will be travelling to the Balkans region of Europe for the month of April, specifically to Macedonia, Montenegro, Croatia and Slovenia. I am very keen on doing outdoor activities on this trip, things like hiking, rafting and mountain biking.
Virtually all the travel books that I read pertaining to these few countries warn of the prevalence of ticks and the diseases they carry - encephalitis and lyme disease. Both of these are quite serious afflictions. Furthermore, I was informed that tick bites can be quite common if one walks unprotected in high grass and forested regions.
Is the tick problem really as serious as it is made out to be in travel literature? Do I have to precautionary measures when I go out into the wild? And if so, what exactly should I do to prepare? There is a vaccine available for encephalitis, but it takes over 6 months to complete the vaccination process. I have not got the luxury of time, unfortunately.
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Car Rental in France (Insurance + Add'l Driver Questions?)
- 2 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 3 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 4 Paris hotels
- 5 Europe itinerary questions
- 6 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 7 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 8 We're here!
- 9 Amsterdam hotels
- 10 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 11 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 12 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 13 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 14 Brugge hotel help
- 15 Old European currency
- 16 Denmark or Sweden?
- 17 Five night Ireland Trip
- 18 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 19 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 20 London Hotels
- 21 10 days in Paris and......
- 22 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 23 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 24 1 month in Europe
- 25 Flying into Copenhagen (1st trip to Europe)
Hello one and all!