Hello one and all!
I will be travelling to the Balkans region of Europe for the month of April, specifically to Macedonia, Montenegro, Croatia and Slovenia. I am very keen on doing outdoor activities on this trip, things like hiking, rafting and mountain biking.
Virtually all the travel books that I read pertaining to these few countries warn of the prevalence of ticks and the diseases they carry - encephalitis and lyme disease. Both of these are quite serious afflictions. Furthermore, I was informed that tick bites can be quite common if one walks unprotected in high grass and forested regions.
Is the tick problem really as serious as it is made out to be in travel literature? Do I have to precautionary measures when I go out into the wild? And if so, what exactly should I do to prepare? There is a vaccine available for encephalitis, but it takes over 6 months to complete the vaccination process. I have not got the luxury of time, unfortunately.
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Seeking advice for fall trip to Puglia
- 2 I'm back.....
- 3 Very last minute Swiss train help!
- 4 FAQs
- 5 2 week in Europe Itinerary help
- 6 KLM mandatory Animal Hotel SCAM
- 7 Day Trips from Lisbon
- 8 Charles Degaulle question
- 9 Any experience with these three private guides for the Alhambra?
- 10 Naples to Pompeii
- 11 Alhambra to Hammam al Andalusus Spa / best option
- 12 Ballet Bolshoi
- 13 Ireland in November
- 14 To europe this Aug
- 15 Seville itinerary critic and advice please
- 16 MADRID-ARANDA DEL DUERO-BURGOS- (??)
- 17 Cancelling apartment in PARIS
- 18 Girls Trip to Rome!
- 19 Layover Madrid Info Help
- 20 Long Train Runnin' through the Alps (Switzerland 2016)
- 21 Edinburgh in March
- 22 sim card
- 23 munich - day trips
- 24 Daytrips/Excursions from Frankfurt
- 25 Madrid Airport
Hello one and all!