Hello one and all!
I will be travelling to the Balkans region of Europe for the month of April, specifically to Macedonia, Montenegro, Croatia and Slovenia. I am very keen on doing outdoor activities on this trip, things like hiking, rafting and mountain biking.
Virtually all the travel books that I read pertaining to these few countries warn of the prevalence of ticks and the diseases they carry - encephalitis and lyme disease. Both of these are quite serious afflictions. Furthermore, I was informed that tick bites can be quite common if one walks unprotected in high grass and forested regions.
Is the tick problem really as serious as it is made out to be in travel literature? Do I have to precautionary measures when I go out into the wild? And if so, what exactly should I do to prepare? There is a vaccine available for encephalitis, but it takes over 6 months to complete the vaccination process. I have not got the luxury of time, unfortunately.
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Pre-booking train travel in Spain
- 2 Illegal vacation apts. in Paris
- 3 Scottish Highlands For Two Days
- 4 Need advice on transportation
- 5 Walking stylish sandals/flats
- 6 3 days Venice to Paris
- 7 reputable apartment rental in Rome and Venice?
- 8 2 weeks Northern Italy Itinerary Suggestion
- 9 Northern England /Scotland in 16 days
- 10 Anyone have a good word to say about Zurich?
- 11 hotels in Bucharest
- 12 ROME JEWISH GHETTO - directions needed
- 13 Swallows and Amazons! (or a midweek break in the Lake District)
- 14 Another Visit to London
- 15 Question for Aussies re travel SIMs in Europe
- 16 bbc radio 4 visits Fleetwood near Blackpool
- 17 Train or bus from Annecy to Cully Switzerland
- 18 A Beautiful Visit to Emilia-Romagna
- 19 My Worst Experience During My Holiday In Europe
- 20 Springtime in Paris and Provence – April 2015
- 21 Chip + Pin Credit Card
- 22 "Free" walking tours--what to tip guide
- 23 Berlin insurance questions
- 24 France for Six Weeks
- 25 Where to stay in Barcelona during La Merce?
Hello one and all!