Bologna was the second stop of our 17 day visit to Italy in October 2012. After 6 nights in Venice, we would be here 4 nights before moving on to Umbria.
After a pleasant two hour train ride from Venice, we arrived in Bologna mid-to-late afternoon and grabbed a cab to the hotel, The Metropolitan. It is located on a small side street between the train station and Piazza Maggiore, and would probably be walkable from the train station for a day trip, but I wouldn’t recommend it with luggage. The lobby area is small but very nice and the staff was very accommodating. After we checked in I asked the front desk if they could call the restaurant Serghei for a dinner reservation – they were able to just squeeze us in at 9:00.
And squeeze us in is just what they did! After settling into the room, catching up on some reading and e-mailing and what not, we headed out for dinner. Serghei was just short walk from the hotel- not even 5 minutes. Had we been staying longer, I would have liked to return. We were squeezed into a tiny table in the vestibule by the cash register and front door. I have a feeling they accommodated us as a favor to the hotel clerk, and had we called in ourselves we may not have secured a table on short notice as we did. We were given menus, I think, but to order the waiter simply told us what was available and we chose from that. I always want to try the dishes an area is known for, so I ordered the tortolini in brodo (and yes, the broth is divine!) and Ed had some type of pasta with ragu. For second I ordered bolito which was fine, but I think I got the last remains of what was available for the night. Ed’s second course – roasted pork shank (“Stinco” I think) was the winner of the evening. I’m basing that on his review, as, come to think of it, he didn’t even share with me.
Happy we were so close to our hotel, we enjoyed the short little stroll back home and hit the hay.
Three short days in Bologna - Part 2 of the Hanabilly saga
- 1 Berlin
- 2 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 3 Spain Travel
- 4 Turkey Experts: Need Itinerary help - mostly with order of trip
- 5 Trieste as a day trip?
- 6 Trieste as a day trip?
- 7 Prague Main Train Station
- 8 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 9 Two weeks in Northern Italy - what do you think of our outline?
- 10 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 11 British drivers
- 12 Southern France
- 13 Banking for semester in London; what to do US students do?
- 14 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 15 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 16 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 17 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 18 recommended airport transfer in rome italy
- 19 Need advice Best European city for New Year celebration
- 20 ITALY IN 6 WEEKS
- 21 Train travel in Europe
- 22 London 12 day itinerary suggestions needed
- 23 The Adriatic? Or Turkey and the Greek Islands?
- 24 France, Spain, Italy and a hint of Switzerland
- 25 Revised itinerary needs approval