Bologna was the second stop of our 17 day visit to Italy in October 2012. After 6 nights in Venice, we would be here 4 nights before moving on to Umbria.
After a pleasant two hour train ride from Venice, we arrived in Bologna mid-to-late afternoon and grabbed a cab to the hotel, The Metropolitan. It is located on a small side street between the train station and Piazza Maggiore, and would probably be walkable from the train station for a day trip, but I wouldn’t recommend it with luggage. The lobby area is small but very nice and the staff was very accommodating. After we checked in I asked the front desk if they could call the restaurant Serghei for a dinner reservation – they were able to just squeeze us in at 9:00.
And squeeze us in is just what they did! After settling into the room, catching up on some reading and e-mailing and what not, we headed out for dinner. Serghei was just short walk from the hotel- not even 5 minutes. Had we been staying longer, I would have liked to return. We were squeezed into a tiny table in the vestibule by the cash register and front door. I have a feeling they accommodated us as a favor to the hotel clerk, and had we called in ourselves we may not have secured a table on short notice as we did. We were given menus, I think, but to order the waiter simply told us what was available and we chose from that. I always want to try the dishes an area is known for, so I ordered the tortolini in brodo (and yes, the broth is divine!) and Ed had some type of pasta with ragu. For second I ordered bolito which was fine, but I think I got the last remains of what was available for the night. Ed’s second course – roasted pork shank (“Stinco” I think) was the winner of the evening. I’m basing that on his review, as, come to think of it, he didn’t even share with me.
Happy we were so close to our hotel, we enjoyed the short little stroll back home and hit the hay.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Europe for 5 days starting with Munich
- 2 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 3 Hotel in Vienna
- 4 Trip to CPH - Connection time in Oslo?
- 5 Where can I learn how to purchase property in France? (for a US citizen)
- 6 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 7 B&B suggestions for Dublin, Kinsale, Killarney, Ennis
- 8 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #150
- 9 French restaurants
- 10 Manchester Airport Connection Time
- 11 1st time in ZURICH
- 12 First time in Europe for 10 days! Help!
- 13 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 14 Paris to Barcelona and Lourdes by train/car
- 15 Do not use MYIPB to ship from London
- 16 Best travelling Dordogne to Barcelona?
- 17 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 18 An hour and ten min enough for connection?
- 19 Scotland Trip
- 20 Austria / Bavaria in late Oct/Early Nov
- 21 Croatia trip Planning
- 22 Europe's Most Iconic Sights...???????
- 23 solo guy traveling to europe help please
- 24 Planning a European Trip
- 25 12 days trip to Amsterdam, Paris, germany and Swizerland
Three short days in Bologna - Part 2 of the Hanabilly saga