Bologna was the second stop of our 17 day visit to Italy in October 2012. After 6 nights in Venice, we would be here 4 nights before moving on to Umbria.
After a pleasant two hour train ride from Venice, we arrived in Bologna mid-to-late afternoon and grabbed a cab to the hotel, The Metropolitan. It is located on a small side street between the train station and Piazza Maggiore, and would probably be walkable from the train station for a day trip, but I wouldn’t recommend it with luggage. The lobby area is small but very nice and the staff was very accommodating. After we checked in I asked the front desk if they could call the restaurant Serghei for a dinner reservation – they were able to just squeeze us in at 9:00.
And squeeze us in is just what they did! After settling into the room, catching up on some reading and e-mailing and what not, we headed out for dinner. Serghei was just short walk from the hotel- not even 5 minutes. Had we been staying longer, I would have liked to return. We were squeezed into a tiny table in the vestibule by the cash register and front door. I have a feeling they accommodated us as a favor to the hotel clerk, and had we called in ourselves we may not have secured a table on short notice as we did. We were given menus, I think, but to order the waiter simply told us what was available and we chose from that. I always want to try the dishes an area is known for, so I ordered the tortolini in brodo (and yes, the broth is divine!) and Ed had some type of pasta with ragu. For second I ordered bolito which was fine, but I think I got the last remains of what was available for the night. Ed’s second course – roasted pork shank (“Stinco” I think) was the winner of the evening. I’m basing that on his review, as, come to think of it, he didn’t even share with me.
Happy we were so close to our hotel, we enjoyed the short little stroll back home and hit the hay.
Three short days in Bologna - Part 2 of the Hanabilly saga
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First cut at Andalusia itinerary 15 nights
- 2 Paris French Language School - Help me decide:
- 3 Rome Areas to stay
- 4 First timers travelling through Italy, Switzerland and France in Feb/March
- 5 Pleasant Perches from which to Ponder Paris?
- 6 Garmisch Partenkirchen Christmas packing list
- 7 Have you recently visited Copenhagen?
- 8 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 9 Sicily in May 2015 Itinerary Question
- 10 Versailles-How Long to Plan for a Visit to Trianons
- 11 Suggestions for Munich in early December
- 12 Paris Perfect: Which Apt for Honeymoon?
- 13 Rome, Naples, Florence, Venice with 4 teenagers, 1 kid, 19 days perfect!
- 14 December vacation help, 2 weeks - southern Italy or Spain or other?
- 15 Careful now in train stations even after security
- 16 Oct. 2014 in Croatia, Slovenia, Montenagro and Bosnia-Herzegovina: TR
- 17 Amsterdam + Alps + Tuscany in 2 weeks
- 18 St Germain
- 19 When to go to Sicily
- 20 Wengen to Torino?
- 21 Suggestions for places to stay on Madeira, but not Funchal? And driving?
- 22 Lakes District UK
- 23 Vicenza and Padua (Palladian villas) without a car
- 24 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 25 Chilling in the Cyclades May 2014--Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Santorini, Athens