Bologna was the second stop of our 17 day visit to Italy in October 2012. After 6 nights in Venice, we would be here 4 nights before moving on to Umbria.
After a pleasant two hour train ride from Venice, we arrived in Bologna mid-to-late afternoon and grabbed a cab to the hotel, The Metropolitan. It is located on a small side street between the train station and Piazza Maggiore, and would probably be walkable from the train station for a day trip, but I wouldn’t recommend it with luggage. The lobby area is small but very nice and the staff was very accommodating. After we checked in I asked the front desk if they could call the restaurant Serghei for a dinner reservation – they were able to just squeeze us in at 9:00.
And squeeze us in is just what they did! After settling into the room, catching up on some reading and e-mailing and what not, we headed out for dinner. Serghei was just short walk from the hotel- not even 5 minutes. Had we been staying longer, I would have liked to return. We were squeezed into a tiny table in the vestibule by the cash register and front door. I have a feeling they accommodated us as a favor to the hotel clerk, and had we called in ourselves we may not have secured a table on short notice as we did. We were given menus, I think, but to order the waiter simply told us what was available and we chose from that. I always want to try the dishes an area is known for, so I ordered the tortolini in brodo (and yes, the broth is divine!) and Ed had some type of pasta with ragu. For second I ordered bolito which was fine, but I think I got the last remains of what was available for the night. Ed’s second course – roasted pork shank (“Stinco” I think) was the winner of the evening. I’m basing that on his review, as, come to think of it, he didn’t even share with me.
Happy we were so close to our hotel, we enjoyed the short little stroll back home and hit the hay.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 2 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 3 St Denis Cathedral
- 4 Praiano
- 5 No Periods in British Written English!
- 6 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 7 Help please
- 8 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 9 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 10 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 11 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 12 Trip Report : Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania
- 13 Booking through Loco2 Train
- 14 Iceland - which direction to drive RIng Road? Clockwise or counter?
- 15 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 16 Looking for a unique 3 days in Venice
- 17 Rome to venice
- 18 Two weeks in Italy flying in and out of Milan
- 19 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 20 Recommendation for GPS with Europe maps
- 21 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 22 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 23 Areas in Milan
- 24 Melia Colbert Paris
- 25 Perugia
Three short days in Bologna - Part 2 of the Hanabilly saga