Bologna was the second stop of our 17 day visit to Italy in October 2012. After 6 nights in Venice, we would be here 4 nights before moving on to Umbria.
After a pleasant two hour train ride from Venice, we arrived in Bologna mid-to-late afternoon and grabbed a cab to the hotel, The Metropolitan. It is located on a small side street between the train station and Piazza Maggiore, and would probably be walkable from the train station for a day trip, but I wouldn’t recommend it with luggage. The lobby area is small but very nice and the staff was very accommodating. After we checked in I asked the front desk if they could call the restaurant Serghei for a dinner reservation – they were able to just squeeze us in at 9:00.
And squeeze us in is just what they did! After settling into the room, catching up on some reading and e-mailing and what not, we headed out for dinner. Serghei was just short walk from the hotel- not even 5 minutes. Had we been staying longer, I would have liked to return. We were squeezed into a tiny table in the vestibule by the cash register and front door. I have a feeling they accommodated us as a favor to the hotel clerk, and had we called in ourselves we may not have secured a table on short notice as we did. We were given menus, I think, but to order the waiter simply told us what was available and we chose from that. I always want to try the dishes an area is known for, so I ordered the tortolini in brodo (and yes, the broth is divine!) and Ed had some type of pasta with ragu. For second I ordered bolito which was fine, but I think I got the last remains of what was available for the night. Ed’s second course – roasted pork shank (“Stinco” I think) was the winner of the evening. I’m basing that on his review, as, come to think of it, he didn’t even share with me.
Happy we were so close to our hotel, we enjoyed the short little stroll back home and hit the hay.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 advice on my 3 month backpacking trip itinerary?
- 2 The ever-popular Chip and Pin Credit Card
- 3 Glowing epidermis– Some women have stated
- 4 Paris Under Seige...
- 5 6 days in Portugal in December
- 6 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris
- 7 Establishing a Realistic Food Budget
- 8 What one thing in Paris?
- 9 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 10 Is It Better to Book Hotel Direct
- 11 Anyone ever been to Minsk, Belarus?
- 12 Italy with my 22 year old son
- 13 Edinburgh apartment choice, please advise
- 14 16 night honeymoon in Spain
- 15 Sweden and Finland for 6 days in mid December 2015
- 16 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 17 Glastonbury vs Bath
- 18 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 19 Northern Italy - where to go?
- 20 Holiday in Austria
- 21 thursdaysd Wanders South
- 22 Return to Rome Pre Cruise Trip Report October 2016
- 23 Need Help with Locations of Naples Apartments
- 24 Does Wroclaw, Krakow, Warsaw sound like a good 8-day Polish trip?
- 25 Retiring to Southern France
Three short days in Bologna - Part 2 of the Hanabilly saga