Bologna was the second stop of our 17 day visit to Italy in October 2012. After 6 nights in Venice, we would be here 4 nights before moving on to Umbria.
After a pleasant two hour train ride from Venice, we arrived in Bologna mid-to-late afternoon and grabbed a cab to the hotel, The Metropolitan. It is located on a small side street between the train station and Piazza Maggiore, and would probably be walkable from the train station for a day trip, but I wouldn’t recommend it with luggage. The lobby area is small but very nice and the staff was very accommodating. After we checked in I asked the front desk if they could call the restaurant Serghei for a dinner reservation – they were able to just squeeze us in at 9:00.
And squeeze us in is just what they did! After settling into the room, catching up on some reading and e-mailing and what not, we headed out for dinner. Serghei was just short walk from the hotel- not even 5 minutes. Had we been staying longer, I would have liked to return. We were squeezed into a tiny table in the vestibule by the cash register and front door. I have a feeling they accommodated us as a favor to the hotel clerk, and had we called in ourselves we may not have secured a table on short notice as we did. We were given menus, I think, but to order the waiter simply told us what was available and we chose from that. I always want to try the dishes an area is known for, so I ordered the tortolini in brodo (and yes, the broth is divine!) and Ed had some type of pasta with ragu. For second I ordered bolito which was fine, but I think I got the last remains of what was available for the night. Ed’s second course – roasted pork shank (“Stinco” I think) was the winner of the evening. I’m basing that on his review, as, come to think of it, he didn’t even share with me.
Happy we were so close to our hotel, we enjoyed the short little stroll back home and hit the hay.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 2 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 3 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 4 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 5 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 6 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 7 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 8 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 9 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 10 Paging @bobthenavigator and others for Amalfi Coast accommodation advice
- 11 Bruges
- 12 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 13 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 14 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 15 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 16 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 17 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 18 6 months in Europe itinerary-Countries
- 19 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 20 Planning A trip
- 21 A week in the Occitanie
- 22 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 23 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 24 Hotels in Seville and Cordoba
- 25 Advice needed for family trip to Belgium and Germany
Three short days in Bologna - Part 2 of the Hanabilly saga