My boys, 6 and 8, and I have three full days in Belgium. Our apartment is in Retie on the border of Holland, about a 1/2 hour SW of Eindhoven and 45 minutes S of Tilburg. We have a car and will be back in Brussels at the end of our trip to do Bruges, etc, so I thought this part of the trip would focus on Holland.
We will arrive from Cali and will overnight in Retie for 4 nights. On the 5th day, we will set out for Freiburg.
I'd like to say that we will peruse shops, art museums, and take in cultural sights, but these are young boys. They've done well in open air museums, technology or natural history museums, and of course love to swim, hike, and run.
Here are some ideas I came up with, but I've purely gone off of the map and websites, so any input would be appreciated. And I don't plan to see all of this. These are just options.
Here are some options:
1. Zaanse Schans: While I don't really want to do 2 hours in the car after an international flight and before a drive to Freiburg, I've heard this is a must see with kids. How long will a visit take? Several hours once there?
2.Maastricht Underground: Stumbled across this while thumbing through a guide book.
4. Kindrdijk. Maybe a better option than Zaanse Schans?
5. Efteling Park?
6. Gouda...only because the 8 year old learned that's where his favorite cheese comes from. We will not be there on market day, so it may not be worth a visit.
7. Genneper Parks, especially the water park.
8. I see that Achel and Westmalle breweries are close to me. I'd like to get to one for a beer. (Yes, I know I can buy it in a store here.)
Okay, please know that this is my 14th trip to Europe, so I am satisfied with seeing something new, showing the boys (their second trip) some other part of the world, but open to kid friendly or silly tourist stuff as well.
Oh, we will depart early for Freiburg. I thought at first we'd see Bokrijk Open Air Museum, but then thought we'd reroute and hit Trier instead.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 2 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 3 Italy for Christmas Week
- 4 Where to spend a week in Italy
- 5 train or plane
- 6 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 7 Help with timeline. Connecting flights in London Gatwick
- 8 Planning a European Trip
- 9 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 10 Norway Itinerary
- 11 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 12 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 13 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 14 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 15 Krakow glass Christmas ornaments
- 16 About to buy tickets to Greece - advice please!
- 17 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 18 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 19 Aug 2017 - Italy with Boys (12 & 7 yr old)
- 20 Question about National Visa to Tourist Visa
- 21 A Month stay in Southern France
- 22 restaurants in Marais district
- 23 Roughing out a train/car trip from London to Scotland
- 24 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 25 Enough time to make connection at CDG?