My boys, 6 and 8, and I have three full days in Belgium. Our apartment is in Retie on the border of Holland, about a 1/2 hour SW of Eindhoven and 45 minutes S of Tilburg. We have a car and will be back in Brussels at the end of our trip to do Bruges, etc, so I thought this part of the trip would focus on Holland.
We will arrive from Cali and will overnight in Retie for 4 nights. On the 5th day, we will set out for Freiburg.
I'd like to say that we will peruse shops, art museums, and take in cultural sights, but these are young boys. They've done well in open air museums, technology or natural history museums, and of course love to swim, hike, and run.
Here are some ideas I came up with, but I've purely gone off of the map and websites, so any input would be appreciated. And I don't plan to see all of this. These are just options.
Here are some options:
1. Zaanse Schans: While I don't really want to do 2 hours in the car after an international flight and before a drive to Freiburg, I've heard this is a must see with kids. How long will a visit take? Several hours once there?
2.Maastricht Underground: Stumbled across this while thumbing through a guide book.
4. Kindrdijk. Maybe a better option than Zaanse Schans?
5. Efteling Park?
6. Gouda...only because the 8 year old learned that's where his favorite cheese comes from. We will not be there on market day, so it may not be worth a visit.
7. Genneper Parks, especially the water park.
8. I see that Achel and Westmalle breweries are close to me. I'd like to get to one for a beer. (Yes, I know I can buy it in a store here.)
Okay, please know that this is my 14th trip to Europe, so I am satisfied with seeing something new, showing the boys (their second trip) some other part of the world, but open to kid friendly or silly tourist stuff as well.
Oh, we will depart early for Freiburg. I thought at first we'd see Bokrijk Open Air Museum, but then thought we'd reroute and hit Trier instead.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Day trips from Florence
- 2 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 3 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 4 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 5 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 6 No Periods in British Written English!
- 7 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 8 Sicily Car Rental Company
- 9 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 10 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 11 Bus from Dubrovnik to Mostar
- 12 CDG Meeting Point Help
- 13 Lunch stop in Cinque Terre
- 14 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 15 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 16 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 17 bavaria itinerary in may with a 3 year old
- 18 10 day travel itinerary with a 3 year old. please comment. Month of MAy
- 19 Self drive tour companies
- 20 Rouen Tour Companies
- 21 Planning a Trip to Greece
- 22 Andalucia itinerary help
- 23 St Denis Cathedral
- 24 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 25 First Trip from Boston to Italy