In May, my husband and I and another couple are planning a trip to Greece. We have been to Greece in 1984 at which time we visited Nafplio, Epidaros, Mycaene, and Delphi and had 4 nights in Athens. The other couple have never been to Greece. Since we have never been to Meteora, would this be a good choice for a trip into the countryside?
We will have 5 nights in mainland Greece before boarding our ship for a 7 day Island cruise which ends in Venice where we continue our European fun.
HERE ARE OUR TENTATIVE PLANS:
May 16 - Flight arrives at 5:00p.m. will transfer to Hotel Plaka. Explore Plaka area then bed.
May 17 - Explore Athens - sleep Athens
May 18 - (Friday) - Get car - Head to Delphi - see Delphi and Museum - sleep
May 19 - (Saturday) Leave in a.m. for Meteora.(try to visit 1 or 2 monestaries that
May 20 - (Sunday) - Morning visits to monestaries. Drive back to Athens and
sleep Athens (Plaka Hotel)
May 21 - Monday -sightsee more of Athens - get to Pireas by 2:00.
Is this schedule crazy? Can one visit Delphi and Meteora in less time? Should we skip Delphi and just do Meteora?
If we do do this schedule, is visiting Delphi first the right sequence? Why? The above outline is pretty much the same as Fantasy Travel and also Key Tours.
How difficult is the drive? Will we have trouble getting in and out or Athens?
Are we shortchanging ourselves with the time allotted for Athens?
Hotel recs for Delphi and Meteora. Meteora really intrigues me so hope we can visit on this trip. Will NEVER get back to Greece. We are Seniors!
Thanks so much for any imput!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Austria / Bavaria in late Oct/Early Nov
- 2 No Train On Kings Day Amsterdam?
- 3 Hotel in Vienna
- 4 8 to 9 days in switzerland with swiss pass
- 5 English Countryside
- 6 First time in Europe for 10 days! Help!
- 7 Killarney National Park--Finding a canoe
- 8 An hour and ten min enough for connection?
- 9 Europe for 5 days starting with Munich
- 10 12 days trip to Amsterdam, Paris, germany and Swizerland
- 11 Naples, Italy
- 12 Ireland travel passport question
- 13 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 14 Trip to CPH - Connection time in Oslo?
- 15 Paris to Barcelona and Lourdes by train/car
- 16 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 17 Is the Jacobite Steam Train worth it?
- 18 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 19 Engadine Valley help
- 20 Where to buy Saffron?
- 21 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #150
- 22 Tuscany 6 nights
- 23 France & Italy, May or June
- 24 Planning a European Trip
- 25 Eastern France - A TR in Pictures