I am currently pregnant with our first child (due in April) and my husband and I are starting to think about a week long trip with our then 3 month old child to somewhere in western Europe that is a direct flight from Chicago.
A few potential destinations (we would only visit 1 country) we were thinking about were Ireland (driving along the western coast), Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Portugal, England (few days in London, then the Cotswolds or thereabouts), or France (Paris and Normandy). If I hadn't just spent 8 days in Holland last year, that would have been my top choice!
A few questions - should we bring a stroller, or would a baby carrier be sufficient? If we bring our stroller, it has a removable bassinet, that our baby could sleep in - while on the road, as well as at night. Would 2 cities in 8 days be too much with a young baby? We tend to travel at a faster pace (the sad thing about not getting too much vacation time), so I think 8 days in one location would be too much for us. However, we understand that the pace will be dictated by our child. We tend to be outdoorsy and low key (hiking, taking photos, happy eating at a local hole in the wall, staying at budget places). Should we opt for staying in an apartment, or go for a hotel?
This is all theoretical trip planning and we'll pull the trigger after the little one is born, assuming everything goes smoothly and whatnot!
I will do research into the different places (we've been to Ireland, I used to live in London, been to Paris), but wanted to get your general thoughts on traveling with a young one.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scotland in December
- 2 Trip to Barcelona, london, Paris, and Amsterdam/Dublin
- 3 Restaurants near Cortina, Italy
- 4 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 5 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 6 Help with Crete Itinerary
- 7 4 nights Prague..then where? Need help
- 8 Plane to Train Connection-CDG to Gare De Lyon
- 9 Itinerary Help for Sicily
- 10 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 11 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 12 Can I visit Rotterdam on a 6h40 min layover in Schiphol?
- 13 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 14 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 15 Granada to Seville driving day trip
- 16 Nice room in Venice in late September for £150?
- 17 10 days in London in early December
- 18 Iceland
- 19 Greece
- 20 First steps for Russian trip planning
- 21 Edinburgh to Falkirk Wheel to Glasgow
- 22 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 23 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 24 Berlin to ?
- 25 Does the heat of Europe ever grind you down?