I am currently pregnant with our first child (due in April) and my husband and I are starting to think about a week long trip with our then 3 month old child to somewhere in western Europe that is a direct flight from Chicago.
A few potential destinations (we would only visit 1 country) we were thinking about were Ireland (driving along the western coast), Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Portugal, England (few days in London, then the Cotswolds or thereabouts), or France (Paris and Normandy). If I hadn't just spent 8 days in Holland last year, that would have been my top choice!
A few questions - should we bring a stroller, or would a baby carrier be sufficient? If we bring our stroller, it has a removable bassinet, that our baby could sleep in - while on the road, as well as at night. Would 2 cities in 8 days be too much with a young baby? We tend to travel at a faster pace (the sad thing about not getting too much vacation time), so I think 8 days in one location would be too much for us. However, we understand that the pace will be dictated by our child. We tend to be outdoorsy and low key (hiking, taking photos, happy eating at a local hole in the wall, staying at budget places). Should we opt for staying in an apartment, or go for a hotel?
This is all theoretical trip planning and we'll pull the trigger after the little one is born, assuming everything goes smoothly and whatnot!
I will do research into the different places (we've been to Ireland, I used to live in London, been to Paris), but wanted to get your general thoughts on traveling with a young one.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What tips can you give about packing?
- 2 Ludwig Castles
- 3 Le Marche, Italy
- 4 London GTG in June, Anyone?
- 5 Croatia Itinerary help for 13 days in September 2017
- 6 Porte de Vanves or Clignancourt
- 7 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 8 Charles de Gaulle departure
- 9 Getting from Positano to Rome
- 10 Lake Geneva / Great St Bernard Pass / Milan / Naples
- 11 SHIP LUGGAGE
- 12 2 Months in Sicily
- 13 France Part Deux - Itinerary Advice
- 14 Barcelona, hiking in Pyrenees + which other? (Costa Brava or Mallorca?)
- 15 Splitting 11 days between Amsterdam and Dubrovnik
- 16 Hallstatt tour recommendations?
- 17 Where to stay in SW Ireland, Killarney or Kenmare?
- 18 Experience with Earthbound Tours
- 19 Driving from Munich to Barcelona
- 20 Visiting Monte Carlo during Grand Prix week
- 21 Aix en Provence Day Trips
- 22 Two day Dublin itinerary
- 23 Short Trip in July
- 24 Springtime in Holland - Trip report
- 25 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries