I am currently pregnant with our first child (due in April) and my husband and I are starting to think about a week long trip with our then 3 month old child to somewhere in western Europe that is a direct flight from Chicago.
A few potential destinations (we would only visit 1 country) we were thinking about were Ireland (driving along the western coast), Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Portugal, England (few days in London, then the Cotswolds or thereabouts), or France (Paris and Normandy). If I hadn't just spent 8 days in Holland last year, that would have been my top choice!
A few questions - should we bring a stroller, or would a baby carrier be sufficient? If we bring our stroller, it has a removable bassinet, that our baby could sleep in - while on the road, as well as at night. Would 2 cities in 8 days be too much with a young baby? We tend to travel at a faster pace (the sad thing about not getting too much vacation time), so I think 8 days in one location would be too much for us. However, we understand that the pace will be dictated by our child. We tend to be outdoorsy and low key (hiking, taking photos, happy eating at a local hole in the wall, staying at budget places). Should we opt for staying in an apartment, or go for a hotel?
This is all theoretical trip planning and we'll pull the trigger after the little one is born, assuming everything goes smoothly and whatnot!
I will do research into the different places (we've been to Ireland, I used to live in London, been to Paris), but wanted to get your general thoughts on traveling with a young one.
Thoughts on travel with an infant (3 months old)
- 1 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 2 Normandy on our own?
- 3 Wife's first trip to Europe. Set on Paris & Rome, Need 3rd destination?
- 4 Essen and Nordrhein-Westfalen
- 5 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 6 Cinque terre or Como/Bellagio for day trip from milan?
- 7 Best way to get from Malaga to Gibraltar to Ceuta, Morocco?
- 8 Changing of the Guard
- 9 Florence & ____?____ with a 16 month old baby in September.
- 10 Where to stay in Glasgow and Edinburgh Scotland
- 11 FCO to Fast Train and Best way to travel back from Naples to Rome
- 12 UK Trip, Final Chapter
- 13 Provence & Cote d'Azur in late September...and the planning begins!
- 14 Ordering wine in Paris
- 15 Paris May 23, 2013. What should I wear in Paris?
- 16 Train from Barcelona to Figueras, and Figueras to Perpignan
- 17 Rail 1st class tickets in Germany 2nd class in Switzerland
- 18 Venice - Verona - Padova - Vienna Trip Report
- 19 Four days to wander France???
- 20 Budepest or Brussels?
- 21 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 22 Solo Female First Time Traveler - Scared to Death
- 23 Looking for Paris apartment for honeymoon
- 24 Spain and Portugal Itinerary 2 Week Vacation Help
- 25 separate beds in Frankfurt and Munich