I am currently pregnant with our first child (due in April) and my husband and I are starting to think about a week long trip with our then 3 month old child to somewhere in western Europe that is a direct flight from Chicago.
A few potential destinations (we would only visit 1 country) we were thinking about were Ireland (driving along the western coast), Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Portugal, England (few days in London, then the Cotswolds or thereabouts), or France (Paris and Normandy). If I hadn't just spent 8 days in Holland last year, that would have been my top choice!
A few questions - should we bring a stroller, or would a baby carrier be sufficient? If we bring our stroller, it has a removable bassinet, that our baby could sleep in - while on the road, as well as at night. Would 2 cities in 8 days be too much with a young baby? We tend to travel at a faster pace (the sad thing about not getting too much vacation time), so I think 8 days in one location would be too much for us. However, we understand that the pace will be dictated by our child. We tend to be outdoorsy and low key (hiking, taking photos, happy eating at a local hole in the wall, staying at budget places). Should we opt for staying in an apartment, or go for a hotel?
This is all theoretical trip planning and we'll pull the trigger after the little one is born, assuming everything goes smoothly and whatnot!
I will do research into the different places (we've been to Ireland, I used to live in London, been to Paris), but wanted to get your general thoughts on traveling with a young one.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 a few days in berlin and auschwitz?
- 2 Italy- 18nights, 4 regions!
- 3 3 weeks, 3 European Countries, 6 cities
- 4 I'm sorting out my stuff for the next trip.
- 5 Sardegna in Sept/Oct - please help!
- 6 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
- 7 4 or 5 European cites in 16 days??
- 8 90 day rule with EU/Spain Visa
- 9 RER C to Versailles on Wed. - still a good option due to Paris strikes?
- 10 Dinge B&B
- 11 Antwerp Tram
- 12 French Strike Chaos to Get Worse?
- 13 Day trip from Munich to Salzburg?
- 14 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
- 15 10 days in Spain (Madrid and ???)
- 16 Train Travel Northern Italy
- 17 Cost of Taxi from Ravello to Positano?
- 18 French Vacation in Mid-America
- 19 Catalunya, Cathars and Castles (and vino!)
- 20 Hotels in Barcelona Madrid and Granada
- 21 Alhambra
- 22 Verdun ceremonies -- 100th anniversary of the battle
- 23 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.
- 24 Hiking in Tyrol Austria
- 25 Paris, Versailles and Jet Lag