I am currently pregnant with our first child (due in April) and my husband and I are starting to think about a week long trip with our then 3 month old child to somewhere in western Europe that is a direct flight from Chicago.
A few potential destinations (we would only visit 1 country) we were thinking about were Ireland (driving along the western coast), Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Portugal, England (few days in London, then the Cotswolds or thereabouts), or France (Paris and Normandy). If I hadn't just spent 8 days in Holland last year, that would have been my top choice!
A few questions - should we bring a stroller, or would a baby carrier be sufficient? If we bring our stroller, it has a removable bassinet, that our baby could sleep in - while on the road, as well as at night. Would 2 cities in 8 days be too much with a young baby? We tend to travel at a faster pace (the sad thing about not getting too much vacation time), so I think 8 days in one location would be too much for us. However, we understand that the pace will be dictated by our child. We tend to be outdoorsy and low key (hiking, taking photos, happy eating at a local hole in the wall, staying at budget places). Should we opt for staying in an apartment, or go for a hotel?
This is all theoretical trip planning and we'll pull the trigger after the little one is born, assuming everything goes smoothly and whatnot!
I will do research into the different places (we've been to Ireland, I used to live in London, been to Paris), but wanted to get your general thoughts on traveling with a young one.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Too much for one day?
- 2 Travel WiFi - France
- 3 Travel from Dublin Airport to Sligo City
- 4 12 days europe
- 5 Italy for the first time
- 6 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 7 Christmas Week in London
- 8 RFID Protection
- 9 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 10 Iceland: The Land of Fire and Ice
- 11 Which Dordogne caves can be easily seen without advance reservations?
- 12 Germany and Austria trip report
- 13 Letter Designations on Transport Lines and Barcelona Card
- 14 What to do in Lauterbrunnen with Toddler
- 15 London Itinerary and Questions
- 16 Beaches in Southern France
- 17 from Charles de Gaulle to central Paris
- 18 3 days to spend in europe
- 19 Dordogne day trips by boat - options?
- 20 Ali
- 21 Paris to Ramstein
- 22 Lyon: where to have an authentic bouchon experience?
- 23 Train Ticket with Swiss Pass or individual ticket?
- 24 What countries to visit in Europe (50 days) for teenagers
- 25 Train reservatiions needed in Switzerland in October?