I am currently pregnant with our first child (due in April) and my husband and I are starting to think about a week long trip with our then 3 month old child to somewhere in western Europe that is a direct flight from Chicago.
A few potential destinations (we would only visit 1 country) we were thinking about were Ireland (driving along the western coast), Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Portugal, England (few days in London, then the Cotswolds or thereabouts), or France (Paris and Normandy). If I hadn't just spent 8 days in Holland last year, that would have been my top choice!
A few questions - should we bring a stroller, or would a baby carrier be sufficient? If we bring our stroller, it has a removable bassinet, that our baby could sleep in - while on the road, as well as at night. Would 2 cities in 8 days be too much with a young baby? We tend to travel at a faster pace (the sad thing about not getting too much vacation time), so I think 8 days in one location would be too much for us. However, we understand that the pace will be dictated by our child. We tend to be outdoorsy and low key (hiking, taking photos, happy eating at a local hole in the wall, staying at budget places). Should we opt for staying in an apartment, or go for a hotel?
This is all theoretical trip planning and we'll pull the trigger after the little one is born, assuming everything goes smoothly and whatnot!
I will do research into the different places (we've been to Ireland, I used to live in London, been to Paris), but wanted to get your general thoughts on traveling with a young one.
Thoughts on travel with an infant (3 months old)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Five Nights in Budapest: A Quick Winter Getaway
- 2 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 3 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 4 2 weeks Bavaria - December 2015
- 5 Since Paris is ALWAYS good idea
- 6 Schengen Visa Rules
- 7 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 8 N Ireland / Ireland driving
- 9 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 10 Small Towns Spain(Catalonia,LaRioja,Navarra,Basque)w/ trip to Bordeaux
- 11 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 12 England's Ruined Abbeys
- 13 Ireland / N Ireland Chauffer/Guide
- 14 Hotel or B&B Recommendations for Chamonix, Lyon & Paris
- 15 Euro Trivia Quiz #12 - Know Your Rivers?
- 16 Recommended overnight stops on Iceland ring road
- 17 London - Paris - Venice - Rome in 21 Days
- 18 Ireland / N Ireland clothing recommendations
- 19 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 20 Is my plan ok
- 21 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules Salerno/Amalfi/Positano Just Released
- 22 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 23 5 Observations About Paris
- 24 Austria to Italy by car - best route
- 25 Southern Spain