I am currently pregnant with our first child (due in April) and my husband and I are starting to think about a week long trip with our then 3 month old child to somewhere in western Europe that is a direct flight from Chicago.
A few potential destinations (we would only visit 1 country) we were thinking about were Ireland (driving along the western coast), Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Portugal, England (few days in London, then the Cotswolds or thereabouts), or France (Paris and Normandy). If I hadn't just spent 8 days in Holland last year, that would have been my top choice!
A few questions - should we bring a stroller, or would a baby carrier be sufficient? If we bring our stroller, it has a removable bassinet, that our baby could sleep in - while on the road, as well as at night. Would 2 cities in 8 days be too much with a young baby? We tend to travel at a faster pace (the sad thing about not getting too much vacation time), so I think 8 days in one location would be too much for us. However, we understand that the pace will be dictated by our child. We tend to be outdoorsy and low key (hiking, taking photos, happy eating at a local hole in the wall, staying at budget places). Should we opt for staying in an apartment, or go for a hotel?
This is all theoretical trip planning and we'll pull the trigger after the little one is born, assuming everything goes smoothly and whatnot!
I will do research into the different places (we've been to Ireland, I used to live in London, been to Paris), but wanted to get your general thoughts on traveling with a young one.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A few more questions about Brittany
- 2 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 3 Madrid & Andalusia in 6 days??
- 4 Positano or Sorrento?
- 5 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 6 4 days each in London and Paris
- 7 Paris in November
- 8 Edinburgh's Fringe Festival...A Most Unique and Eclectic Event!
- 9 Dollars exchange to pounds
- 10 Where to stay in London, Amsterdam and Paris?
- 11 Train from Barcelona to Madrid
- 12 11 Days in Ireland w few hotel changes
- 13 London Theater
- 14 Tours vs solo travel (want to see as much as possible in 3-4 months)
- 15 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 16 Travelogue of our trip to Southern Italy
- 17 Mallorca: Hotel in/near Palma?
- 18 Mr & Mrs Annhig need your help planning bucket list trip to Switzerland
- 19 Drive from Lake Como to Venice
- 20 Ischia Earthquake/mobile wifi
- 21 Help: Looking for Streetwise Venice folding map
- 22 Salzburg-storing luggage at train station
- 23 To drive a rental around the Amalfi Coast or just use public transport....
- 24 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 25 Switzerland in September