I am currently pregnant with our first child (due in April) and my husband and I are starting to think about a week long trip with our then 3 month old child to somewhere in western Europe that is a direct flight from Chicago.
A few potential destinations (we would only visit 1 country) we were thinking about were Ireland (driving along the western coast), Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Portugal, England (few days in London, then the Cotswolds or thereabouts), or France (Paris and Normandy). If I hadn't just spent 8 days in Holland last year, that would have been my top choice!
A few questions - should we bring a stroller, or would a baby carrier be sufficient? If we bring our stroller, it has a removable bassinet, that our baby could sleep in - while on the road, as well as at night. Would 2 cities in 8 days be too much with a young baby? We tend to travel at a faster pace (the sad thing about not getting too much vacation time), so I think 8 days in one location would be too much for us. However, we understand that the pace will be dictated by our child. We tend to be outdoorsy and low key (hiking, taking photos, happy eating at a local hole in the wall, staying at budget places). Should we opt for staying in an apartment, or go for a hotel?
This is all theoretical trip planning and we'll pull the trigger after the little one is born, assuming everything goes smoothly and whatnot!
I will do research into the different places (we've been to Ireland, I used to live in London, been to Paris), but wanted to get your general thoughts on traveling with a young one.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 English Countryside
- 2 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 3 BARDENAS REALES, Unesco site and national park in Navarra
- 4 Portugal and Spain Itinerary Suggestions
- 5 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 6 So much to do, so little time!
- 7 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 8 No Train On Kings Day Amsterdam?
- 9 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 10 8 to 9 days in switzerland with swiss pass
- 11 An hour and ten min enough for connection?
- 12 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 13 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 14 Eastern France - A TR in Pictures
- 15 Austria / Bavaria in late Oct/Early Nov
- 16 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 17 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 18 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 19 House Hunting in France
- 20 Tour of Northern Italy
- 21 12 days itinerary - Netherland, Belgium & Germany
- 22 Cognac transportation?
- 23 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 24 Prague, Rome or Amsterdam
- 25 Manchester Airport Connection Time