I am currently pregnant with our first child (due in April) and my husband and I are starting to think about a week long trip with our then 3 month old child to somewhere in western Europe that is a direct flight from Chicago.
A few potential destinations (we would only visit 1 country) we were thinking about were Ireland (driving along the western coast), Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Portugal, England (few days in London, then the Cotswolds or thereabouts), or France (Paris and Normandy). If I hadn't just spent 8 days in Holland last year, that would have been my top choice!
A few questions - should we bring a stroller, or would a baby carrier be sufficient? If we bring our stroller, it has a removable bassinet, that our baby could sleep in - while on the road, as well as at night. Would 2 cities in 8 days be too much with a young baby? We tend to travel at a faster pace (the sad thing about not getting too much vacation time), so I think 8 days in one location would be too much for us. However, we understand that the pace will be dictated by our child. We tend to be outdoorsy and low key (hiking, taking photos, happy eating at a local hole in the wall, staying at budget places). Should we opt for staying in an apartment, or go for a hotel?
This is all theoretical trip planning and we'll pull the trigger after the little one is born, assuming everything goes smoothly and whatnot!
I will do research into the different places (we've been to Ireland, I used to live in London, been to Paris), but wanted to get your general thoughts on traveling with a young one.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip Report: Bergen-Andalsnes-Oslo (June/July 2016)
- 2 Need some suggestions for Andalucia / Barcelona / Madrid starting Dec 25
- 3 The Texas Trio Tour England
- 4 Spain in November
- 5 Stonehenge and Bath
- 6 Path of the Gods Question
- 7 How big backpack do I need?
- 8 Munich Under Attack...
- 9 Must visit wineries in Alsace?
- 10 Bavaria, Switzerland, Austria for Christmas...?
- 11 Two weeks in Portugal in October
- 12 Should I speculate?
- 13 How did you or your family ended up in the country you are living now?
- 14 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 15 Prague on a budget...
- 16 One week travelling from Spain to Paris
- 17 Two-day Detour Before Amalfi Coast
- 18 Greece or Spain in April with Kids?
- 19 Le Marche Sept./Oct.
- 20 Help with 2nd European Spot
- 21 Hotel to Seville train station -- how much time needed
- 22 Istanbul - Would you go there?
- 23 Short, one day trip to Sighișoara, what do you recommend?
- 24 Dentix in Spain
- 25 Croatia