I am planning a 2 (and a bit) month trip to Europe and would like to have around 13 nights of this trip on the Greek Islands and a final 3 nights in Athens (from where I will fly back home to Melbourne Australia). I will be coming from the south west of Turkey (either from Kas or Fethiye, likely the latter) so will probably focus on the Cyclades islands or. The weeks are likely to be the first two weeks of October.
I am not interesting in partying though a vibrant town with some bars for a few drinks is a good thing.
My main interests would be relaxation, scenic walks/beaches and picturesque towns but this might be all a bit meaningless because that probably covers every island
I have read some information on various islands and here is my itinerary so far but obviously have not been able to read extensively on every island as there are just so many of them.
Ferry from Fethiye Turkey to Rhodes for 2 nights
Crete - 4 nights
Santorini - 3 nights
Naxos - 2 nights
Syros - 2 nights
Athens - 3 nights
Any thoughts on above itinerary? One that occurred to me was to perhaps spend 4 nights in Naxos and goto Syros on a daytrip (and possibly another island on a daytrip).
Also, given October is the start of low season (right?) is there any reliable site for ferry information for scheduling tips. I know that ferry timetables are probably not available yet but other information such as the fequency of ferries likely in low season between certain islands (eg Santorini to Naxos) would be very useful. If not, I guess its a good idea not to book hotels early due to the risk on having to change my plans to cater for the ferry situation.
PS: Before anyone saids it, yes I know seeing the Greek Islands is not seeing Greece My bro in law who is from the Pelopponese has been telling me off about this continually. I do intend to visit Greece properly, just not this time around.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 2 Car rental leaving Rome
- 3 Rotterdam in 1923
- 4 Stroller in Europe
- 5 Suggestions for base in the Var
- 6 Xmas windows in London
- 7 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 8 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 9 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris
- 10 Take your time to see San Gimignano
- 11 NEED HELP PLANNING SPAIN ITINERARY
- 12 Christmas Market-ing in the Salzkammergut
- 13 Troyes or Colmar around Christmas?
- 14 Locauto Yes or No? or Europcar in Pisa
- 15 Romance written with help from Fodorites
- 16 Quickest and cheapest way to get to Marco Polo from Mogliano Veneto?
- 17 Wroclaw & Krakow, Poland
- 18 Krakow on Christmas Day?
- 19 Amsterdam - Germanyin mid April
- 20 Barcelona to Bordeaux and back in two weeks
- 21 X-ray machines at train stations in Europe?
- 22 Barcelona to San Sebastian
- 23 Best company/Tour for one day Amalfi Coast from Rome
- 24 Holland/France/Spain
- 25 Christmas in London (& Paris)