I am planning a 2 (and a bit) month trip to Europe and would like to have around 13 nights of this trip on the Greek Islands and a final 3 nights in Athens (from where I will fly back home to Melbourne Australia). I will be coming from the south west of Turkey (either from Kas or Fethiye, likely the latter) so will probably focus on the Cyclades islands or. The weeks are likely to be the first two weeks of October.
I am not interesting in partying though a vibrant town with some bars for a few drinks is a good thing.
My main interests would be relaxation, scenic walks/beaches and picturesque towns but this might be all a bit meaningless because that probably covers every island
I have read some information on various islands and here is my itinerary so far but obviously have not been able to read extensively on every island as there are just so many of them.
Ferry from Fethiye Turkey to Rhodes for 2 nights
Crete - 4 nights
Santorini - 3 nights
Naxos - 2 nights
Syros - 2 nights
Athens - 3 nights
Any thoughts on above itinerary? One that occurred to me was to perhaps spend 4 nights in Naxos and goto Syros on a daytrip (and possibly another island on a daytrip).
Also, given October is the start of low season (right?) is there any reliable site for ferry information for scheduling tips. I know that ferry timetables are probably not available yet but other information such as the fequency of ferries likely in low season between certain islands (eg Santorini to Naxos) would be very useful. If not, I guess its a good idea not to book hotels early due to the risk on having to change my plans to cater for the ferry situation.
PS: Before anyone saids it, yes I know seeing the Greek Islands is not seeing Greece My bro in law who is from the Pelopponese has been telling me off about this continually. I do intend to visit Greece properly, just not this time around.
Thoughts on this Greek Island itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amsterdam: arriving 8/25 to depart on 8/30 Rhine river cruise
- 2 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 3 Frankfurt Airport: 2 hours from touchdown to train. Go for it???
- 4 How do you organize yourself on vacation?
- 5 May in southern Italy--Sorrento/Capri and Puglia
- 6 Venice - boats on canals
- 7 ITALY
- 8 Paris first then where?
- 9 Forma Urbis Fragments in Capitoline Museum?
- 10 Maitaitom & Tracy's Romantic 20th Anniversary Paris 2014 Trip In September
- 11 Recommendation for a wine tour departing from Strasbourg.
- 12 Which to fly into....Milan or Rome?
- 13 Looking for a month long vacation rental in France
- 14 Turkey 2015-Happy B-day to Me
- 15 Akrotiri Tours
- 16 Finalizing plans for September trip - is this doable
- 17 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 18 Which area in Venice for 3 nights
- 19 Switzerland--how is rain impacting hiking in engadines? sils maria?
- 20 Regensburg or Cesky Krumlov for Two Nights
- 21 Mosel Valley Base - NOT Rhine Valley Base
- 22 Dresden: 6 nights too many?
- 23 Sorrento - 2.5 days itinerary help
- 24 Northern Spain
- 25 London hotel tax is 20%