I am planning a 2 (and a bit) month trip to Europe and would like to have around 13 nights of this trip on the Greek Islands and a final 3 nights in Athens (from where I will fly back home to Melbourne Australia). I will be coming from the south west of Turkey (either from Kas or Fethiye, likely the latter) so will probably focus on the Cyclades islands or. The weeks are likely to be the first two weeks of October.
I am not interesting in partying though a vibrant town with some bars for a few drinks is a good thing.
My main interests would be relaxation, scenic walks/beaches and picturesque towns but this might be all a bit meaningless because that probably covers every island
I have read some information on various islands and here is my itinerary so far but obviously have not been able to read extensively on every island as there are just so many of them.
Ferry from Fethiye Turkey to Rhodes for 2 nights
Crete - 4 nights
Santorini - 3 nights
Naxos - 2 nights
Syros - 2 nights
Athens - 3 nights
Any thoughts on above itinerary? One that occurred to me was to perhaps spend 4 nights in Naxos and goto Syros on a daytrip (and possibly another island on a daytrip).
Also, given October is the start of low season (right?) is there any reliable site for ferry information for scheduling tips. I know that ferry timetables are probably not available yet but other information such as the fequency of ferries likely in low season between certain islands (eg Santorini to Naxos) would be very useful. If not, I guess its a good idea not to book hotels early due to the risk on having to change my plans to cater for the ferry situation.
PS: Before anyone saids it, yes I know seeing the Greek Islands is not seeing Greece My bro in law who is from the Pelopponese has been telling me off about this continually. I do intend to visit Greece properly, just not this time around.
Thoughts on this Greek Island itinerary
- 1 The Adriatic? Or Turkey and the Greek Islands?
- 2 London 12 day itinerary suggestions needed
- 3 Venice in Jan
- 4 Trieste as a day trip?
- 5 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 6 Lucerne & Zurich
- 7 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 8 NEW TO FODORS: Suggestions/Advice for 10 days in Europe
- 9 Frankfurt Macarons
- 10 Trip around Spain
- 11 Lake como
- 12 Geneva/Graechen/Milan Driving in February
- 13 Getting around in Tuscany
- 14 Rome L. Argentina Ruins - Can they be explored or just viewed from street?
- 15 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 16 Common practice to provide passport copies for apartment rental in Venice?
- 17 Public transport from Ostuni
- 18 Costa del Sol (Spain) versus Cote d Azur (France) ??
- 19 British drivers
- 20 Need PIN for general credit card use in Spain Portugal
- 21 Need advice - Context Tours for Gallery Borghese & Vatican
- 22 a week in Ireland over New year's
- 23 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 24 Italy with 4 teenagers, 1 child and a husband in 18 days - thoughts?
- 25 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!