I am planning a 2 (and a bit) month trip to Europe and would like to have around 13 nights of this trip on the Greek Islands and a final 3 nights in Athens (from where I will fly back home to Melbourne Australia). I will be coming from the south west of Turkey (either from Kas or Fethiye, likely the latter) so will probably focus on the Cyclades islands or. The weeks are likely to be the first two weeks of October.
I am not interesting in partying though a vibrant town with some bars for a few drinks is a good thing.
My main interests would be relaxation, scenic walks/beaches and picturesque towns but this might be all a bit meaningless because that probably covers every island
I have read some information on various islands and here is my itinerary so far but obviously have not been able to read extensively on every island as there are just so many of them.
Ferry from Fethiye Turkey to Rhodes for 2 nights
Crete - 4 nights
Santorini - 3 nights
Naxos - 2 nights
Syros - 2 nights
Athens - 3 nights
Any thoughts on above itinerary? One that occurred to me was to perhaps spend 4 nights in Naxos and goto Syros on a daytrip (and possibly another island on a daytrip).
Also, given October is the start of low season (right?) is there any reliable site for ferry information for scheduling tips. I know that ferry timetables are probably not available yet but other information such as the fequency of ferries likely in low season between certain islands (eg Santorini to Naxos) would be very useful. If not, I guess its a good idea not to book hotels early due to the risk on having to change my plans to cater for the ferry situation.
PS: Before anyone saids it, yes I know seeing the Greek Islands is not seeing Greece My bro in law who is from the Pelopponese has been telling me off about this continually. I do intend to visit Greece properly, just not this time around.
Thoughts on this Greek Island itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 car rental Italy/Croatia
- 2 How far ahead do you buy plane tickets?
- 3 Families with kids: rental car or train in Lake Como, Wengen, and Munich?
- 4 Germany for 3 weeks
- 5 Trip Report / Amsterdam - Haarlem - Bruges - Paris / by train
- 6 Top Sights for Northern Ireland
- 7 Does anyone travel with trip notes on an ipad? Tech help please!
- 8 Vienna and side trips
- 9 Nature of France
- 10 Rauma Train and the Atlantic Ocean Rd worth visiting?
- 11 France--a month+ by car and train--ideas please!
- 12 Rome - Vatican and Catacomb
- 13 How's this Budget (4-5 weeks in Spain and Italy)
- 14 Bus from Montepulciano, Italy to Roma Fiumicino Airport?
- 15 Help me plan an unforgettable London/Paris trip...for my 5 year old
- 16 Bavarian Accommodations - Need Your Assistance
- 17 London, Edinburgh, and Paris Itinerary
- 18 Milan, Venice, Bellagio, Piedmont wine country, a day in the Cinque Terre
- 19 Family of 4 traveling 10 months
- 20 Gift for French business associate
- 21 Back to Provence in 2015
- 22 In Search of Wedding Shoes in Paris
- 23 where to base in Valle D itria
- 24 What to see/do in eastern section of Ireland?
- 25 Travelling From Seattle to Italy, Mid May