The current plan is to visit Italy again, this time with my Dad too. UK has been shelved this summer, or rather the anticipated 2 week trip. I certainly hope to at least visit London for another long weekend.
If plans stay settled, it will be 6 nights on Lake Como before we move on to Venice. This will be my third trip (also my Mom's third trip).
I'm trying to figure out new things to do - having been there twice we've already visited a number of villas for instance (some of which we will see again with Dad in tow). We went on a seaplane ride the last time, too.
So far, here is what I have. I was wondering if anyone else had other ideas too. As I find more I will come back and post them here so that this can be kind of a repository of "things to do and see" on Lake Como.
We have spent little time wandering Como itself, time permitting, we may at least take the funicular ride. Friends of mine usually stay in Cernobbio and rave about it so we might have to check that out if we have time. We also haven't been to Isola Comancina.
There is a slice of WWII history here in that Mussolini was executed on the western side of the Lake (Mezzagra?).
There is a small castle high above Varenna and I may try that hike this trip. We stay at the Eremo Gaudio so we already get great views.
We went to Milan the last time for all of four hours. This time we might actually get reservations for The Last Supper.
I have yet to venture much north of Varenna/Menaggio. Am I missing out on much by not doing so?
Thanks for any comments.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 2 London Hotels
- 3 Iceland in 7 days.
- 4 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 5 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 6 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 7 LIsbon
- 8 London-Help Me Spend Money
- 9 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 10 Luggage Storage
- 11 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 12 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 13 Paris hotels
- 14 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 15 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 16 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 17 Intercity Notte training boarding time
- 18 25th Anniversary in Italy - Spring 2017
- 19 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 20 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 21 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 22 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 23 Back from Paris
- 24 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 25 Summer Travel order
Third time visitor to Lake Como seeks new things to do and see.