The current plan is to visit Italy again, this time with my Dad too. UK has been shelved this summer, or rather the anticipated 2 week trip. I certainly hope to at least visit London for another long weekend.
If plans stay settled, it will be 6 nights on Lake Como before we move on to Venice. This will be my third trip (also my Mom's third trip).
I'm trying to figure out new things to do - having been there twice we've already visited a number of villas for instance (some of which we will see again with Dad in tow). We went on a seaplane ride the last time, too.
So far, here is what I have. I was wondering if anyone else had other ideas too. As I find more I will come back and post them here so that this can be kind of a repository of "things to do and see" on Lake Como.
We have spent little time wandering Como itself, time permitting, we may at least take the funicular ride. Friends of mine usually stay in Cernobbio and rave about it so we might have to check that out if we have time. We also haven't been to Isola Comancina.
There is a slice of WWII history here in that Mussolini was executed on the western side of the Lake (Mezzagra?).
There is a small castle high above Varenna and I may try that hike this trip. We stay at the Eremo Gaudio so we already get great views.
We went to Milan the last time for all of four hours. This time we might actually get reservations for The Last Supper.
I have yet to venture much north of Varenna/Menaggio. Am I missing out on much by not doing so?
Thanks for any comments.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 2 9 Days in Spain
- 3 God Save the Queen?
- 4 Barcelona alternative
- 5 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 6 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 7 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 8 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 9 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 10 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 11 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 12 Spanish Medical Providers
- 13 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 14 Paris to Italy
- 15 Driving through Paris
- 16 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 17 May Day 2018 in Slovenia
- 18 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 19 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 20 Road trip with our dog
- 21 Frankfurt to UK
- 22 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 23 One last lunch in Rome - recommendations near Vatican City please
- 24 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 25 Great Value Vacations - NOT
Third time visitor to Lake Como seeks new things to do and see.