The current plan is to visit Italy again, this time with my Dad too. UK has been shelved this summer, or rather the anticipated 2 week trip. I certainly hope to at least visit London for another long weekend.
If plans stay settled, it will be 6 nights on Lake Como before we move on to Venice. This will be my third trip (also my Mom's third trip).
I'm trying to figure out new things to do - having been there twice we've already visited a number of villas for instance (some of which we will see again with Dad in tow). We went on a seaplane ride the last time, too.
So far, here is what I have. I was wondering if anyone else had other ideas too. As I find more I will come back and post them here so that this can be kind of a repository of "things to do and see" on Lake Como.
We have spent little time wandering Como itself, time permitting, we may at least take the funicular ride. Friends of mine usually stay in Cernobbio and rave about it so we might have to check that out if we have time. We also haven't been to Isola Comancina.
There is a slice of WWII history here in that Mussolini was executed on the western side of the Lake (Mezzagra?).
There is a small castle high above Varenna and I may try that hike this trip. We stay at the Eremo Gaudio so we already get great views.
We went to Milan the last time for all of four hours. This time we might actually get reservations for The Last Supper.
I have yet to venture much north of Varenna/Menaggio. Am I missing out on much by not doing so?
Thanks for any comments.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 2 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 3 ANY SUGGESTION WHICH AREA OF MADRID TO STAY FOR ACCOMODATION
- 4 Help with my southern Spain itinerary please!
- 5 help deciding between 2 itineraries!
- 6 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 7 Ideas for 10 nights in France for 1st timer
- 8 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 9 Italy - 21 Day Itinerary for May, 2018
- 10 Tour Company reviews - European Graduation Trip
- 11 Strasbourg! What to do, what to visit??
- 12 Assist Please: A'dam/Cologne/Mosel Valley/Aachen
- 13 train from Bucharest to Brasov
- 14 First trip to the UK, please help me
- 15 Salamanca Spain - stay in town or nearby?
- 16 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 17 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 18 Nice/Monaco Train Question
- 19 Individual train tickets instead of passes
- 20 London: Big Ben- Last Call for 4 Years...
- 21 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 22 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 23 base for Andalucia
- 24 Coastal Denmark
- 25 How to leave Slovenia for US?
Third time visitor to Lake Como seeks new things to do and see.