I was thinking about traveling to Turkey (mainly Istanbul) at the end of this year and had a question surrounding "safety." I guess mainly my question has to do around the fact that I am "Jewish." I don't practice, I am not religious in the least bit and don't wear the yarmulke or anything, never been to Israel, I'm not a Zionist, or anything like that. I am just "Jewish" by race, whatever that means (because my parents are non-practicing Jews). I have been told by a few middle eastern friends I can even pass for Turkish, Lebanese, or Moroccan too.
However, my main concern though is my surname is pretty famously "Jewish" and some people blame some Zionist stuff on a family bearing my surname. Even though there is a large business with an office in Istanbul with my surname, I still would like to know if it's safe to travel there currently?
I am in love with Turkey even though I've never been there and all I'd like to do is visit and enjoy.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Athens Help
- 2 Crete Holiday
- 3 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 4 Travel in Europe
- 5 sylvenstein road in Bavaria
- 6 Whathello Paris
- 7 Rome to Venice
- 8 Bordeaux to Nice
- 9 One free day in Barcelona
- 10 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 11 November in Rome
- 12 Rouen or Rennes to pick up Rental Car
- 13 Granada in April; add Malaga?
- 14 The Little Cyclades, Santorini, Vienna
- 15 Trains in Italy
- 16 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 17 Sicily help
- 18 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 19 Christmas markets
- 20 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 21 PARIS
- 22 Germany or Sweden
- 23 Alitala
- 24 Trip report: Paris-Bordeaux-Barcelona-Madrid
- 25 Is This SIM Mobile Computer Plan OK?