I was thinking about traveling to Turkey (mainly Istanbul) at the end of this year and had a question surrounding "safety." I guess mainly my question has to do around the fact that I am "Jewish." I don't practice, I am not religious in the least bit and don't wear the yarmulke or anything, never been to Israel, I'm not a Zionist, or anything like that. I am just "Jewish" by race, whatever that means (because my parents are non-practicing Jews). I have been told by a few middle eastern friends I can even pass for Turkish, Lebanese, or Moroccan too.
However, my main concern though is my surname is pretty famously "Jewish" and some people blame some Zionist stuff on a family bearing my surname. Even though there is a large business with an office in Istanbul with my surname, I still would like to know if it's safe to travel there currently?
I am in love with Turkey even though I've never been there and all I'd like to do is visit and enjoy.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Portugal In A Week-The Places You'd Go Back To
- 2 Clean up spam
- 3 Versailles - Much More than the Palace!
- 4 credit and debit cards
- 5 Suggestions for two night stay near Athens airport?
- 6 Spain/Portugal Travel for Older Couple
- 7 Positano Surprise
- 8 Small towns not too near Paris
- 9 Valencia, Spain
- 10 Help with basic itinerary
- 11 Time required from flight touchdown at Heathrow to King's Cross
- 12 Ottolenghi walk-ins?
- 13 Family Friendly Day Trips from Arezzo
- 14 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 15 How to spend 3 days btwn Milan and Florence
- 16 Advice getting from Robin Hood's Bay to London
- 17 Help w/ 2-week itinerary to Switzerland w/ 7 yr old
- 18 Greece and Italy Combo
- 19 Cinqueterre
- 20 Car rental in Europe (Kemwel)
- 21 A birthday dinner in Sevilla
- 22 Great Woin's restaurnats in Paris
- 23 Marathon Sunday in Budapest
- 24 Visit to Engand
- 25 Amalfi Coast, Italy