I was thinking about traveling to Turkey (mainly Istanbul) at the end of this year and had a question surrounding "safety." I guess mainly my question has to do around the fact that I am "Jewish." I don't practice, I am not religious in the least bit and don't wear the yarmulke or anything, never been to Israel, I'm not a Zionist, or anything like that. I am just "Jewish" by race, whatever that means (because my parents are non-practicing Jews). I have been told by a few middle eastern friends I can even pass for Turkish, Lebanese, or Moroccan too.
However, my main concern though is my surname is pretty famously "Jewish" and some people blame some Zionist stuff on a family bearing my surname. Even though there is a large business with an office in Istanbul with my surname, I still would like to know if it's safe to travel there currently?
I am in love with Turkey even though I've never been there and all I'd like to do is visit and enjoy.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 When to buy airline? & booking seats
- 2 Ireland travel passport question
- 3 We were NOT going to Europe this year --- but
- 4 Croatia transportation question.
- 5 Oxford England Accommodations
- 6 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 7 A Month stay in Southern France
- 8 vienna
- 9 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 10 Suggested Italy Itinerary
- 11 Places of interest
- 12 getting to CDG
- 13 1 or 2 days in Reykjavík
- 14 Ireland hotel questions
- 15 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 16 Questions about Polish sights
- 17 Croatia Ferry Help
- 18 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 19 Greece...so many options! (11 days)
- 20 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 21 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 22 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 23 Southern Germany - a base for travel
- 24 Switzerland in November?
- 25 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help