I just wrote a very long letter regarding Serbia and Ukraine, a letter that unfortunately was not posted. Anyways, I just did a 3-month tour of Central and Eastern Europe. Two places I did not visit, however, are Serbia and Ukraine. I am reluctant to visit because of such contrasting views I hear regarding these two countries. For example, some people tell me that Kiev, Ukraine is a charming European town. Others tell me that its once-charming city has been significantly eroded by Soviet rule, thus becoming Grey and grim. Another example: some people tell me Belgrade is the best city in the Balkans-in terms of nightlife, beautiful and warm people and city appearance. Others tell me to definitely avoid Belgrade. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Nevertheless, I would definitely appreciate your input.
Basically, I am primarily interested in hearing input on Kiev and Lviv, Ukraine and Belgrade and Novi Sad, Serbia. I would expect to find warm, hospitable and good-looking people in both Ukraine and Serbia. However, are any or all of these 4 cities I listed above (Kiev, Lviv, Belgrade and Novi Sad) amazing from a sightseeing and architectural perspective? In other words, do any of these 4 cities have the kind of city appearance and charm that characterizes cities like St. Petersburg, Prague, Budapest, Krakow and etc?
Long story short, I am currently visiting family in Athens, Greece. I do not feel like I HAVE to visit any of these 4 cities. However, if any of them are among Central and Eastern Europe's best sightseeing and architectural destinations, I do not want to miss out! Please let me know what you think. Along with responding to this discussion thread, please email me at email@example.com I am not very familiar with how this discussion thread works, so emailing me would almost ensure that I do not miss reading your response!
I await your response. Please do not forget to tell me the most recent time you visited any or all the cities I listed.
Thinking About a Visit to Ukraine and/or Serbia...
- 1 One more week hardly in Paris: still wandering the Ile de France
- 2 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 3 10 Summer days in Spain: Barcelona alone or Madrid too?
- 4 Chambermaid tipping
- 5 Gift/Travel Cards for Spain?
- 6 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 7 Dresden Train Station
- 8 Help me plan a vacation to Paris!
- 9 Italian Lakes gardens
- 10 More help with housing in Puglia
- 11 Spain - Andalucia
- 12 Popping in and out of Ireland
- 13 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 14 Geneva-Verbier-Zurich
- 15 Night trains across Europe--what are the fares?
- 16 Is there a best time of day to visit the Alhambra?
- 17 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 18 London for Christmas
- 19 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 20 Lake District, Hawkshead or Keswick?
- 21 Rome itinerary check over New Years....comments?? suggestions??
- 22 Hotel in belligio, lake Como
- 23 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 24 Stockholm Hotel Advice Help I'm torn Hotel Rival, Reisen or Story?????
- 25 Advent weekend in Quedlinburg