I just wrote a very long letter regarding Serbia and Ukraine, a letter that unfortunately was not posted. Anyways, I just did a 3-month tour of Central and Eastern Europe. Two places I did not visit, however, are Serbia and Ukraine. I am reluctant to visit because of such contrasting views I hear regarding these two countries. For example, some people tell me that Kiev, Ukraine is a charming European town. Others tell me that its once-charming city has been significantly eroded by Soviet rule, thus becoming Grey and grim. Another example: some people tell me Belgrade is the best city in the Balkans-in terms of nightlife, beautiful and warm people and city appearance. Others tell me to definitely avoid Belgrade. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Nevertheless, I would definitely appreciate your input.
Basically, I am primarily interested in hearing input on Kiev and Lviv, Ukraine and Belgrade and Novi Sad, Serbia. I would expect to find warm, hospitable and good-looking people in both Ukraine and Serbia. However, are any or all of these 4 cities I listed above (Kiev, Lviv, Belgrade and Novi Sad) amazing from a sightseeing and architectural perspective? In other words, do any of these 4 cities have the kind of city appearance and charm that characterizes cities like St. Petersburg, Prague, Budapest, Krakow and etc?
Long story short, I am currently visiting family in Athens, Greece. I do not feel like I HAVE to visit any of these 4 cities. However, if any of them are among Central and Eastern Europe's best sightseeing and architectural destinations, I do not want to miss out! Please let me know what you think. Along with responding to this discussion thread, please email me at email@example.com I am not very familiar with how this discussion thread works, so emailing me would almost ensure that I do not miss reading your response!
I await your response. Please do not forget to tell me the most recent time you visited any or all the cities I listed.
Thinking About a Visit to Ukraine and/or Serbia...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy Apartment What To Bring
- 2 Republique - Canal St Martin area safe? And VRBO apartment rental questions
- 3 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 4 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 5 He said , she said
- 6 4 night stay for 5 in interlaken
- 7 Augsburg with kids
- 8 Pix from Dresden Trip
- 9 Italy Roma Card, Florence Card Recommended? Train Pass?
- 10 Killing time in Positano without shopping or beachtime
- 11 Are we likely to encounter Dynamic Currency Conversion in Andalucia?
- 12 Wanting to spend 6 months in the French Countryside
- 13 Sardinia 5 - 7 night, first time in March please help
- 14 How far in advance should I book my car rentals ?
- 15 RFID wallets do they really work?
- 16 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 17 Le Grand Depart and Yorkshire Festival
- 18 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 19 Dordogne and Paris - April/May 2013
- 20 Amalfi (town) to Pompeii (ruins entrance-luggage storage area)
- 21 Need packing help! What to wear daytime sightseeing in Europe...
- 22 Apartment and Area to Stay in Istanbul
- 23 Recommendation for lovely italian town?
- 24 Toulouse and beyond -
- 25 Soccer/futbol in Madrid