I just wrote a very long letter regarding Serbia and Ukraine, a letter that unfortunately was not posted. Anyways, I just did a 3-month tour of Central and Eastern Europe. Two places I did not visit, however, are Serbia and Ukraine. I am reluctant to visit because of such contrasting views I hear regarding these two countries. For example, some people tell me that Kiev, Ukraine is a charming European town. Others tell me that its once-charming city has been significantly eroded by Soviet rule, thus becoming Grey and grim. Another example: some people tell me Belgrade is the best city in the Balkans-in terms of nightlife, beautiful and warm people and city appearance. Others tell me to definitely avoid Belgrade. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Nevertheless, I would definitely appreciate your input.
Basically, I am primarily interested in hearing input on Kiev and Lviv, Ukraine and Belgrade and Novi Sad, Serbia. I would expect to find warm, hospitable and good-looking people in both Ukraine and Serbia. However, are any or all of these 4 cities I listed above (Kiev, Lviv, Belgrade and Novi Sad) amazing from a sightseeing and architectural perspective? In other words, do any of these 4 cities have the kind of city appearance and charm that characterizes cities like St. Petersburg, Prague, Budapest, Krakow and etc?
Long story short, I am currently visiting family in Athens, Greece. I do not feel like I HAVE to visit any of these 4 cities. However, if any of them are among Central and Eastern Europe's best sightseeing and architectural destinations, I do not want to miss out! Please let me know what you think. Along with responding to this discussion thread, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org I am not very familiar with how this discussion thread works, so emailing me would almost ensure that I do not miss reading your response!
I await your response. Please do not forget to tell me the most recent time you visited any or all the cities I listed.
Thinking About a Visit to Ukraine and/or Serbia...
- 1 Vaporetti Schedules in Venice (and how passes work!?)
- 2 French café offers discounts to customers who remember their "Bonjour"
- 3 Advice on 10-14 days family trip Paris-Amsterdam-Italy
- 4 On TCM on 4/28/06 Cinema Paradiso
- 5 Gift/Travel Cards for Spain?
- 6 Car in Prague
- 7 2 Week European Itinerary
- 8 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 9 One more week hardly in Paris: still wandering the Ile de France
- 10 USING THE METRO FROM AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV TO Place d'Italie
- 11 Suggestion for car service from DeGaulle to apartment in Paris?
- 12 best beach hotel Mykonos
- 13 Family European winter holiday
- 14 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 15 Geneva-Verbier-Zurich
- 16 El Rocio festival, Huelva
- 17 Budget (or at least Somewhat Inexpensive) Lodging in Bologna
- 18 Rome Accommodation
- 19 First time Golfing in Ireland
- 20 Where to stop on Italy's west coast
- 21 Italian Lakes gardens
- 22 Travelling with Alitalia. MIA-FCO-AOI Carry-on or Check-in baggage?
- 23 Dresden Train Station
- 24 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 25 Scandinavia Itinerary