I just wrote a very long letter regarding Serbia and Ukraine, a letter that unfortunately was not posted. Anyways, I just did a 3-month tour of Central and Eastern Europe. Two places I did not visit, however, are Serbia and Ukraine. I am reluctant to visit because of such contrasting views I hear regarding these two countries. For example, some people tell me that Kiev, Ukraine is a charming European town. Others tell me that its once-charming city has been significantly eroded by Soviet rule, thus becoming Grey and grim. Another example: some people tell me Belgrade is the best city in the Balkans-in terms of nightlife, beautiful and warm people and city appearance. Others tell me to definitely avoid Belgrade. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Nevertheless, I would definitely appreciate your input.
Basically, I am primarily interested in hearing input on Kiev and Lviv, Ukraine and Belgrade and Novi Sad, Serbia. I would expect to find warm, hospitable and good-looking people in both Ukraine and Serbia. However, are any or all of these 4 cities I listed above (Kiev, Lviv, Belgrade and Novi Sad) amazing from a sightseeing and architectural perspective? In other words, do any of these 4 cities have the kind of city appearance and charm that characterizes cities like St. Petersburg, Prague, Budapest, Krakow and etc?
Long story short, I am currently visiting family in Athens, Greece. I do not feel like I HAVE to visit any of these 4 cities. However, if any of them are among Central and Eastern Europe's best sightseeing and architectural destinations, I do not want to miss out! Please let me know what you think. Along with responding to this discussion thread, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org I am not very familiar with how this discussion thread works, so emailing me would almost ensure that I do not miss reading your response!
I await your response. Please do not forget to tell me the most recent time you visited any or all the cities I listed.
Thinking About a Visit to Ukraine and/or Serbia...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 2 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 3 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 4 Travel with Teens
- 5 Netherlands holiday with a 2.5 year old
- 6 Best Time of Day and Vantage Point for Seven Sisters
- 7 Weather in Andalusia and Barcelona?
- 8 Flamenco -- Cordoba, Seville or Granada?
- 9 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 10 15-days in Turkey with 15-month old, Istanbul and..?
- 11 Rental car companies in Denizli & Antalya
- 12 Vienna - stay near train station or Innere Stadt?
- 13 Restaurant with a view - Florence
- 14 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 15 What are the best places to see in England
- 16 Month Itinerary England, France, Germany, Italy does this work?
- 17 Reims for a day
- 18 Indus Tours in Turkey
- 19 Traveling with a guide in Turkey
- 20 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 21 Estonia Amber
- 22 Two days between St. Ives and London
- 23 Soccer/futbol in Madrid
- 24 TRAVEL TURKEY
- 25 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?