I just wrote a very long letter regarding Serbia and Ukraine, a letter that unfortunately was not posted. Anyways, I just did a 3-month tour of Central and Eastern Europe. Two places I did not visit, however, are Serbia and Ukraine. I am reluctant to visit because of such contrasting views I hear regarding these two countries. For example, some people tell me that Kiev, Ukraine is a charming European town. Others tell me that its once-charming city has been significantly eroded by Soviet rule, thus becoming Grey and grim. Another example: some people tell me Belgrade is the best city in the Balkans-in terms of nightlife, beautiful and warm people and city appearance. Others tell me to definitely avoid Belgrade. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Nevertheless, I would definitely appreciate your input.
Basically, I am primarily interested in hearing input on Kiev and Lviv, Ukraine and Belgrade and Novi Sad, Serbia. I would expect to find warm, hospitable and good-looking people in both Ukraine and Serbia. However, are any or all of these 4 cities I listed above (Kiev, Lviv, Belgrade and Novi Sad) amazing from a sightseeing and architectural perspective? In other words, do any of these 4 cities have the kind of city appearance and charm that characterizes cities like St. Petersburg, Prague, Budapest, Krakow and etc?
Long story short, I am currently visiting family in Athens, Greece. I do not feel like I HAVE to visit any of these 4 cities. However, if any of them are among Central and Eastern Europe's best sightseeing and architectural destinations, I do not want to miss out! Please let me know what you think. Along with responding to this discussion thread, please email me at email@example.com I am not very familiar with how this discussion thread works, so emailing me would almost ensure that I do not miss reading your response!
I await your response. Please do not forget to tell me the most recent time you visited any or all the cities I listed.
Thinking About a Visit to Ukraine and/or Serbia...
- 1 Amsterdam - Germany and Wine!
- 2 I'm Boycotting Switzerland And I'm Glad Belgium Makes Great Chocolate Too!
- 3 Help Needed with European Adventure
- 4 Places to visit from London
- 5 Nice agriturismo or country apartments/villa near Bologna
- 6 Rental car size in Spain: what's a supermini?
- 7 Renting Apartment in Nice
- 8 Do and don't, eating in France
- 9 Group tours of Greece/Greek islands for solo traveler
- 10 Who is along for the ride???Still needing help on this INTERESTING trip
- 11 Getting the best our of Europe
- 12 Mykonos, Greece Ferry Help Please
- 13 Help with Spain Trip in Late August
- 14 Paris museums free admission
- 15 Opinion Requested on Southeast Castles in Order of Personal Preference
- 16 The "I'm moving/I'm coming home" Italy Trip Report...
- 17 First time going to Europe. Flying into Dublin...
- 18 5000 stairsteps, 40 ciao bellas, 12 trains, 8 pizzas, 3 women, 1 report
- 19 Spain with kids
- 20 Advice on itinerary - Balestrand, Ulvik, Flam?
- 21 Albi-Carcassonne to St. Remy
- 22 Perfect gondola ride and dinner in Venice? But on a budget.
- 23 Meeting up at CDG
- 24 Brutal Crack Down on Peaceful Environmental Protest
- 25 July reservations for County Kerry?