I'm heading to south of France first week of May with my wife (we are in our 30s). I'll be driving my cabrio (a relatively cheap but new peugeot) with Belgium plates. We will pass through Monaco, Nice, Antibes, Cannes, Frejus, Saint-tropez, Cassis, Avignon, Arles, etc... on different days and with overnights on private/public parkings. The plan is to drive along the coast.
According to scarce info on the web, thefts, break ins, and other related crimes (even assaults) seem to be relatively common over there... young guys on scooters, stones throw on windows to make you stop, robbery during sightseeing and red light stops, removal/stealing of "fancy wheels" overnight, etc. I would appreciate very much to hear advices and opinions about (at least) two things:
1) Is it safe to drive roof down within and between those cities?
What about the highways between Belgium and southern France (via Grenoble, Dijon, Metz...) during night?
2) Any particular advice about parking overnight? Apart from the obvious don't leave things inside. Will it help if I use any extra lockers to avoid theft of the whole car?
Please, don't get offended with those questions but give me an honest picture of the situation and what I should expect. I have searched a lot on the web before this post.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 2 Rome Water Shortage
- 3 Train travel to and from Paris
- 4 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 5 The DCC scam is spreading
- 6 10 days/2 kids/Munich and surrounding areas
- 7 Getting around London
- 8 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 9 Advise for driving from Lecce, to Pescara, Italy.
- 10 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 11 Paris in August
- 12 Christmas in Spain
- 13 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain
- 14 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 15 Vigo Spain????
- 16 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 17 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 18 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 19 3 weeks in Scotland and Germany?
- 20 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 21 Transportation/itinerary help from Rome cruise terminal
- 22 Guided Group Tour of Italy--opinions please
- 23 Andalucia Spain
- 24 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 25 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
Theft and assaults while driving a cabriolet in cote d'azur