I'm heading to south of France first week of May with my wife (we are in our 30s). I'll be driving my cabrio (a relatively cheap but new peugeot) with Belgium plates. We will pass through Monaco, Nice, Antibes, Cannes, Frejus, Saint-tropez, Cassis, Avignon, Arles, etc... on different days and with overnights on private/public parkings. The plan is to drive along the coast.
According to scarce info on the web, thefts, break ins, and other related crimes (even assaults) seem to be relatively common over there... young guys on scooters, stones throw on windows to make you stop, robbery during sightseeing and red light stops, removal/stealing of "fancy wheels" overnight, etc. I would appreciate very much to hear advices and opinions about (at least) two things:
1) Is it safe to drive roof down within and between those cities?
What about the highways between Belgium and southern France (via Grenoble, Dijon, Metz...) during night?
2) Any particular advice about parking overnight? Apart from the obvious don't leave things inside. Will it help if I use any extra lockers to avoid theft of the whole car?
Please, don't get offended with those questions but give me an honest picture of the situation and what I should expect. I have searched a lot on the web before this post.
Theft and assaults while driving a cabriolet in cote d'azur
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Wanting to spend 6 months in the French Countryside
- 2 Where to watch World Cup in Berlin
- 3 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 4 driving map for Croatia and BiH
- 5 Palm Sunday in Paris
- 6 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 7 Small group tour for Vatican and Colosseum/Forum, ? catacombs
- 8 Paris in April?
- 9 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 10 Coatia or Corsica for honeymoon late June/early july?
- 11 A drive in Europe
- 12 Edinburgh To St. Andrews
- 13 London hotel
- 14 need good quiet Paris hotel: possible?
- 15 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague
- 16 A relaxing itinerary in the Basque country?
- 17 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 18 Train Options - Lisbon to Porto
- 19 Need Advice for my first family to Europe
- 20 Germany-berlin marathon
- 21 Soccer/futbol in Madrid
- 22 hotels in Seville
- 23 car rental companies Italy
- 24 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 25 tour guides in rome