I'm heading to south of France first week of May with my wife (we are in our 30s). I'll be driving my cabrio (a relatively cheap but new peugeot) with Belgium plates. We will pass through Monaco, Nice, Antibes, Cannes, Frejus, Saint-tropez, Cassis, Avignon, Arles, etc... on different days and with overnights on private/public parkings. The plan is to drive along the coast.
According to scarce info on the web, thefts, break ins, and other related crimes (even assaults) seem to be relatively common over there... young guys on scooters, stones throw on windows to make you stop, robbery during sightseeing and red light stops, removal/stealing of "fancy wheels" overnight, etc. I would appreciate very much to hear advices and opinions about (at least) two things:
1) Is it safe to drive roof down within and between those cities?
What about the highways between Belgium and southern France (via Grenoble, Dijon, Metz...) during night?
2) Any particular advice about parking overnight? Apart from the obvious don't leave things inside. Will it help if I use any extra lockers to avoid theft of the whole car?
Please, don't get offended with those questions but give me an honest picture of the situation and what I should expect. I have searched a lot on the web before this post.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London to Edinburgh transportation
- 2 Getting from Venice airport to Venice train station:how long?
- 3 Is it really 100 degrees F. in Paris???
- 4 Last minute London hotel recommendation needed
- 5 10 days in spain
- 6 €2500 for full day boating outing on Amalfi coast?
- 7 TR: Solo in DUBLIN for BLOOMSDAY, an Irish literary odyssey
- 8 Oh no, yet another Alhambra ticket-timing question
- 9 Eiffel Tower - look at it, eat there, or go up
- 10 RailPass England / Scotland?
- 11 lake garda or lake como and how many nights
- 12 Texans Take a Tour
- 13 Bergen Tour.Any suggestion pls.
- 14 Douro Valley: 9 Hours On The Train?
- 15 Itinerary help: beach in Turkey?
- 16 SNCF train ticket online booking payment difficulty?
- 17 Suggestions for travel to Florence and Italy in October/November
- 18 Places to eat in Rome and Venice by train stations???
- 19 Buy back lease program?
- 20 two weeks trip to Switzerland and French Rivwra
- 21 Must do/see in Rome
- 22 Blonde in Amsterdam & Paris: Van Gogh, Gables & the Gare d'Orsay
- 23 Provence 5 days 4 night (3.5 full days) itinerary
- 24 Stay Poland/Private Drivers
- 25 Fall 2016 England andScotland
Theft and assaults while driving a cabriolet in cote d'azur