I'm heading to south of France first week of May with my wife (we are in our 30s). I'll be driving my cabrio (a relatively cheap but new peugeot) with Belgium plates. We will pass through Monaco, Nice, Antibes, Cannes, Frejus, Saint-tropez, Cassis, Avignon, Arles, etc... on different days and with overnights on private/public parkings. The plan is to drive along the coast.
According to scarce info on the web, thefts, break ins, and other related crimes (even assaults) seem to be relatively common over there... young guys on scooters, stones throw on windows to make you stop, robbery during sightseeing and red light stops, removal/stealing of "fancy wheels" overnight, etc. I would appreciate very much to hear advices and opinions about (at least) two things:
1) Is it safe to drive roof down within and between those cities?
What about the highways between Belgium and southern France (via Grenoble, Dijon, Metz...) during night?
2) Any particular advice about parking overnight? Apart from the obvious don't leave things inside. Will it help if I use any extra lockers to avoid theft of the whole car?
Please, don't get offended with those questions but give me an honest picture of the situation and what I should expect. I have searched a lot on the web before this post.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 anyone use 'NO JET LAG' ?
- 2 Travel between Paris, Normandy and Brugges
- 3 Beaches in Southern France
- 4 Traveling from Sicily, Italy to Greece
- 5 Italy in October
- 6 Seeking suggestions: Bavaria, Austria, Prague Trip in Fall
- 7 Car Rental at Malaga Port
- 8 What Greek islands should I visit
- 9 Amsterdam for 5 days - HELP
- 10 Positano - Sorrento Travel Questions
- 11 Brixen/ Bressanone: ideas for a few days?
- 12 cell phone companys
- 13 Day Trip to Greenland from Reykjavik
- 14 italy itinerary
- 15 Based in Burford, how to spend our time
- 16 Ideas for travel (hiking) in Northern Italy
- 17 Local markets in Italy
- 18 Arrival day suggestions (South Kensington)
- 19 Dublin Hotel Advice & Construction
- 20 My 7 day Provence itinerary... workable?
- 21 Where in Paris?
- 22 Dordogne and Loire Valley
- 23 4 days in London worth the jetlag?
- 24 15+ days in Sicily -- first crack at itinerary
- 25 Guides - Matera
Theft and assaults while driving a cabriolet in cote d'azur