I'm heading to south of France first week of May with my wife (we are in our 30s). I'll be driving my cabrio (a relatively cheap but new peugeot) with Belgium plates. We will pass through Monaco, Nice, Antibes, Cannes, Frejus, Saint-tropez, Cassis, Avignon, Arles, etc... on different days and with overnights on private/public parkings. The plan is to drive along the coast.
According to scarce info on the web, thefts, break ins, and other related crimes (even assaults) seem to be relatively common over there... young guys on scooters, stones throw on windows to make you stop, robbery during sightseeing and red light stops, removal/stealing of "fancy wheels" overnight, etc. I would appreciate very much to hear advices and opinions about (at least) two things:
1) Is it safe to drive roof down within and between those cities?
What about the highways between Belgium and southern France (via Grenoble, Dijon, Metz...) during night?
2) Any particular advice about parking overnight? Apart from the obvious don't leave things inside. Will it help if I use any extra lockers to avoid theft of the whole car?
Please, don't get offended with those questions but give me an honest picture of the situation and what I should expect. I have searched a lot on the web before this post.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Gluten Free in Italy
- 2 RER C to Versailles on Wed. - still a good option due to Paris strikes?
- 3 Transportation for students btw Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Krakow
- 4 Plitvice, Rovinj and ?
- 5 Car rental in Paris
- 6 French Strike Chaos to Get Worse?
- 7 Verdun ceremonies -- 100th anniversary of the battle
- 8 Canaries to Turkey in ten countries
- 9 90 day rule with EU/Spain Visa
- 10 4 or 5 European cites in 16 days??
- 11 Train Travel Northern Italy
- 12 Paris, Versailles and Jet Lag
- 13 Catalunya, Cathars and Castles (and vino!)
- 14 Portable WiFi Device in Poland
- 15 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
- 16 Sentimental Journey
- 17 A few last minute questions
- 18 Rudesheim Bacharach or other suggestions.
- 19 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.
- 20 3 weeks, 3 European Countries, 6 cities
- 21 10 days in Spain (Madrid and ???)
- 22 I'm sorting out my stuff for the next trip.
- 23 Venice - Tour suggestions
- 24 Stay away from EF Tours
- 25 French Vacation in Mid-America
Theft and assaults while driving a cabriolet in cote d'azur