I'm heading to south of France first week of May with my wife (we are in our 30s). I'll be driving my cabrio (a relatively cheap but new peugeot) with Belgium plates. We will pass through Monaco, Nice, Antibes, Cannes, Frejus, Saint-tropez, Cassis, Avignon, Arles, etc... on different days and with overnights on private/public parkings. The plan is to drive along the coast.
According to scarce info on the web, thefts, break ins, and other related crimes (even assaults) seem to be relatively common over there... young guys on scooters, stones throw on windows to make you stop, robbery during sightseeing and red light stops, removal/stealing of "fancy wheels" overnight, etc. I would appreciate very much to hear advices and opinions about (at least) two things:
1) Is it safe to drive roof down within and between those cities?
What about the highways between Belgium and southern France (via Grenoble, Dijon, Metz...) during night?
2) Any particular advice about parking overnight? Apart from the obvious don't leave things inside. Will it help if I use any extra lockers to avoid theft of the whole car?
Please, don't get offended with those questions but give me an honest picture of the situation and what I should expect. I have searched a lot on the web before this post.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 2 Any details on the explosions at the Istanbul Airport?
- 3 First time in Italy
- 4 Cancelling apartment in PARIS
- 5 100 Great things to do in Paris
- 6 Tipping for private van/bus driver in Ireland?
- 7 Austria
- 8 First time Germany Frankfurt to Munich 2 weeks
- 9 Sagrada Familia-Guide or Audio
- 10 Alhambra to Hammam al Andalusus Spa / best option
- 11 Pompeii luggage storage
- 12 Train Help
- 13 Train rides
- 14 12 days in Austria
- 15 MADRID-ARANDA DEL DUERO-BURGOS- (??)
- 16 Swiss Alps to Florence
- 17 Getting from Milazzo to Palermo
- 18 Car Rental in Italy: Insurance Needed/Suggested
- 19 Family of 4 in a couchette from Venice
- 20 Bologna, Modena or Parma for a base?
- 21 Salento penninsula
- 22 What about Basque Country?
- 23 Bursa/Iznik
- 24 Paris dinner cruises...best of the best if there is such a thing
- 25 Bologna or Bergamo?
Theft and assaults while driving a cabriolet in cote d'azur