When: April 23 - May 10.
Where: London, Salisbury, Bath, Cotswolds, Stratford-upon-Avon, York and Edinburgh.
Overall impression: Wow!
We left from JFK even though we live just south of Baltimore. AA does not have direct flights from nearby airports and past experience with missed connections and delayed luggage made the 4.5 hour drive to JFK seem prudent. Flights were leaving from JFK to Heathrow for the past 36 hours but we kept tuned to the news on the drive up to learn of any changes. Not to worry. Our flight left on time and arrived nearly one hour early. We got through Heathrow easily and wended our way to the tube station dragging our far too much luggage behind us (hey, we were going to rent a car in a few days for most of the rest of the trip, so why not bring lots of stuff - such was DW's thinking). The ticket seller at the tube station advised us that a one day ticket for each of our two days in London would be the best bet. We did get excellent value from that.
Our London Hotel, the Millennium Bailey is just across from the Gloucester tube station. How good is that? Lots of stairs though to reach the surface. As I was schlepping the biggest duffel up the stairs, a well dressed fellow offered to help, and of course I let him, thinking that if he was going to steal it, I would have no trouble catching him. That was a really nice gesture on his part and the first of a long series of just plain decency that we would experience during our travels in the UK. The "friendly virus" has hit Britain and everyone we met was infected.
Even though we were hours early for check-in (it wasn't even breakfast time yet) there was a room that was ready and it was quite nice. The hotel location is excellent. Across from a tube station with 3 lines, a short walk to the V&A museum and the Natural History museum. A quick breakfast near the hotel - there are many eateries nearby - and we were ready to invade London.
Next: Tales of the Crypt.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is Bullfighting still going-on in Spain in October?
- 2 ATM Exchange Rate in Italy
- 3 21 Days Family Trip Croatia-Budapest-Vienna-Prague-Munich
- 4 Ireland & Amsterdam
- 5 Barcelona completely overrated
- 6 Holland Itinerary
- 7 Car Trawler
- 8 TRAVEL COMPANION WANTED
- 9 Procida for a day (or part of one) versus time on Capri
- 10 How to get to Giverny from Paris
- 11 weather/ flowers in bloom for a duoro river cruise in March or April
- 12 I forgot my international driver permit
- 13 Printing Jungfrau Pass
- 14 Lucerne Activities - early October
- 15 Trip 6 to Rome and Amalfi
- 16 Vizeat -- Anybody tried it?
- 17 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 18 Stay away from EF Tours
- 19 5 Days in Dublin
- 20 Seeking suggestions: Bavaria, Austria, Prague Trip in Fall
- 21 Baltic Cruise?
- 22 Car rental scams at Frankfurt airport
- 23 Northern Italy and a bit of Bavaria, a family trip
- 24 Ordering in a Deli
- 25 Rome Airport Question!
The volcano gods smiled, then frowned. UK citizens endangered
When: April 23 - May 10.