When: April 23 - May 10.
Where: London, Salisbury, Bath, Cotswolds, Stratford-upon-Avon, York and Edinburgh.
Overall impression: Wow!
We left from JFK even though we live just south of Baltimore. AA does not have direct flights from nearby airports and past experience with missed connections and delayed luggage made the 4.5 hour drive to JFK seem prudent. Flights were leaving from JFK to Heathrow for the past 36 hours but we kept tuned to the news on the drive up to learn of any changes. Not to worry. Our flight left on time and arrived nearly one hour early. We got through Heathrow easily and wended our way to the tube station dragging our far too much luggage behind us (hey, we were going to rent a car in a few days for most of the rest of the trip, so why not bring lots of stuff - such was DW's thinking). The ticket seller at the tube station advised us that a one day ticket for each of our two days in London would be the best bet. We did get excellent value from that.
Our London Hotel, the Millennium Bailey is just across from the Gloucester tube station. How good is that? Lots of stairs though to reach the surface. As I was schlepping the biggest duffel up the stairs, a well dressed fellow offered to help, and of course I let him, thinking that if he was going to steal it, I would have no trouble catching him. That was a really nice gesture on his part and the first of a long series of just plain decency that we would experience during our travels in the UK. The "friendly virus" has hit Britain and everyone we met was infected.
Even though we were hours early for check-in (it wasn't even breakfast time yet) there was a room that was ready and it was quite nice. The hotel location is excellent. Across from a tube station with 3 lines, a short walk to the V&A museum and the Natural History museum. A quick breakfast near the hotel - there are many eateries nearby - and we were ready to invade London.
Next: Tales of the Crypt.
The volcano gods smiled, then frowned. UK citizens endangered
When: April 23 - May 10.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Looking for add on city
- 2 Peugeot 107--will my luggage be visible?
- 3 1st time in Spain w/ 3 Children 8years and under - Help with itinery please
- 4 Preparing for our European Family Trip
- 5 A1 to A12 vs. A14: Which is the easier drive from Sulmona to Mondovi?
- 6 Hiking in the Pyrenees - day trip from Barcelona, no car
- 7 Conference trip to Netherlands; help me plan free time afterward
- 8 Beach along The Seine in Paris
- 9 Paris and South Of France/Possibly Cinque Terre
- 10 Which hotel in Lisbon?
- 11 Has anyone traveled on Thalys without a "ticketless" barcode confirmation?
- 12 Amalfi Coast vs Greece
- 13 FAMILY VACATION, BERLIN.
- 14 Need Accommodation in Versailles
- 15 Madrid—Portugal—Northern Spain—Barcelona by car, need an itinerary...
- 16 Pre-paid Visa?
- 17 What do you know about using the iPhone GPS app in Europe?
- 18 Traveling to Italy--Rome, Venice with teens
- 19 Sigh....Swiss Pass HELP!
- 20 naples & pickpockets
- 21 MXP Best Western to "The Last Supper"
- 22 Prices in Dubrovnik
- 23 Trip to Italy
- 24 Two Week Big Fat Family Vacation to Greece
- 25 Automatic car rental in Italy: Dollar or Thrifty?