When: April 23 - May 10.
Where: London, Salisbury, Bath, Cotswolds, Stratford-upon-Avon, York and Edinburgh.
Overall impression: Wow!
We left from JFK even though we live just south of Baltimore. AA does not have direct flights from nearby airports and past experience with missed connections and delayed luggage made the 4.5 hour drive to JFK seem prudent. Flights were leaving from JFK to Heathrow for the past 36 hours but we kept tuned to the news on the drive up to learn of any changes. Not to worry. Our flight left on time and arrived nearly one hour early. We got through Heathrow easily and wended our way to the tube station dragging our far too much luggage behind us (hey, we were going to rent a car in a few days for most of the rest of the trip, so why not bring lots of stuff - such was DW's thinking). The ticket seller at the tube station advised us that a one day ticket for each of our two days in London would be the best bet. We did get excellent value from that.
Our London Hotel, the Millennium Bailey is just across from the Gloucester tube station. How good is that? Lots of stairs though to reach the surface. As I was schlepping the biggest duffel up the stairs, a well dressed fellow offered to help, and of course I let him, thinking that if he was going to steal it, I would have no trouble catching him. That was a really nice gesture on his part and the first of a long series of just plain decency that we would experience during our travels in the UK. The "friendly virus" has hit Britain and everyone we met was infected.
Even though we were hours early for check-in (it wasn't even breakfast time yet) there was a room that was ready and it was quite nice. The hotel location is excellent. Across from a tube station with 3 lines, a short walk to the V&A museum and the Natural History museum. A quick breakfast near the hotel - there are many eateries nearby - and we were ready to invade London.
Next: Tales of the Crypt.
The volcano gods smiled, then frowned. UK citizens endangered
When: April 23 - May 10.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 No points in Paris .....
- 2 Planning 17 days Italy - Switzerland - Germany
- 3 Reviews on Adriatic Travel Agency?
- 4 Greece--Crete or Peloponnis?
- 5 Urgent Spanish visa dilemma
- 6 Vantage Deluxe World Travel - Russia
- 7 Basque Spain to Lourdes to Carcassonne to Provence! 12 busy days solo
- 8 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 9 Mosquitos in Camargue---is it really that bad??
- 10 Prague, Budapest & Croatia +Krakow?
- 11 best time to book accommodation
- 12 Need help making VIP seat reservations on Golden Pass train
- 13 Stay near Paris
- 14 Tentative itinerary for Andalucia for April/May 2015
- 15 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 16 Sicily - not a trip report
- 17 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 18 Chip but no PIN
- 19 Italy and France in 20 Days
- 20 Questions for my German friends
- 21 Springtime in Paris with lots of restaurant reviews and a bit of Alsace
- 22 Puglia planning - where to base, how long to spend
- 23 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 24 Dining at the Eiffel Tower
- 25 1 week in Switzerland with 18 year old son