You have helped me a great deal plan our trip to Scotland in late May for 12 days. I have a question regarding Loch Lomond and Trossachs while staying in Callander and fitting in Glencoe.
Here is our itinerary so you know where we plan to be on what days:
Day 1 May 18 (Friday) We arrive in Edinburgh at 7 am…spend the day in the city once we settle in (we could never stay in the hotel no matter how tired we are..done it before in Spain and Italy and we're alright with the jet lag)
Day 2 (Saturday) All day in the city
Day 3 (Sunday) Get car from Enterprise (hubby works for them) morning drive to Borders Melrose/Dryburgh/Jedburgh/Kelso and stay around there for the night
Day 4 (Monday) morning drive to Callander, and enjoy Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park (staying in Callander to sleep)
Day 5 (Tuesday) more time enjoying Loch Lomond and Trossachs and stay another night in Callander
Day 6 (Wednesday) morning drive to Mallaig ferry to Skye...spend the remainder of the day in Skye
Day 7 (Thursday) Skye
Day 8 (Friday) Skye
Day 9 (Saturday) morning drive to Eilean Donan Castle and then to Dunfermline/Culross.. this will likely take most of our day so we plan on sleeping in a hotel or B & B in Dunfermline or Culross and making it our hub for the next few days
Day10 (Sunday) Cupar (going for a photo shoot at Crawford priory) and Culross then going back to stay in Dunfermline one more night (I realize we are backtracking a bit but notice the distances don't seem that far.)
Day 11 (Monday) Dunfermline Abbey (wanted to wait until today since Sunday hours are so short) and maybe stop somewhere else before we head back to Edinburgh... drive back to Edinburgh and drop off car
Day 12 (Tuesday) relax in Edinburgh for our last day and see a few more things we couldn't fit in
Day 13 May 30th (Wednesday) taxi to airport Depart am today for USA
I had no plans on stopping in Glencoe nor have I done any research on the area. We are staying two nights in Callander (got a hotel but could always cancel without penalty.) I've had a few people tell me I should drive into/through Glencoe on my way to Mallaig to get on the ferry for Skye. I'm not comfortable trying to fit this in before making the ferry...I'd rather get to the ferry with plenty of time to get on the next just in case.
My question is: Should I consider staying a night in Glencoe instead of two nights in Callander? I don't want to miss beautiful scenery and felt I would have enough to see in Loch Lomond and Trossachs....am I making a mistake planning on seeing Loch Lomond and Trossachs for two days and not putting anytime in Glencoe? Would it be silly for us to drive to Glencoe on the 2nd day staying in Callander just to drive back to Callander to sleep in the hotel we booked already and leave again the next day to go on to Skye?
Any opinions/suggestions are appreciated (I feel so blessed just to be going and seeing all the sights but it's so tempting to see why so many are saying not to miss Glencoe. )
Thanks for your help and sorry if I made a mess of my question
The Trossachs while staying in Callander should we include Glencoe?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 2 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 3 What are the best places to see in England
- 4 London hotel
- 5 Need to visit a hospital in Athens
- 6 Hotel in Venice
- 7 7 days in Greece
- 8 London tube
- 9 HS Seniors in Finland and the Baltics - How to plan their spending
- 10 Help with Barcelona Plans Please!
- 11 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time
- 12 Europe in 21 days
- 13 London day trips, especially castles
- 14 Where can I find a driver for a day around Paris?
- 15 What Champagne House in Reims or Epernay for a day visit?
- 16 Nairn to Edinburgh to home - route and where to stay
- 17 Owners Direct Rentals?
- 18 Amsterdam Itiniary
- 19 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 20 What area to stay in Rome, Florence, and Venice?
- 21 Madrid or Toledo on May 1st - holiday
- 22 Swiss rail passes
- 23 Zurich, Switzerland
- 24 Article about the building of Brunelleschi's dome on the Duomo in Florence
- 25 Last day in Italy with kids, Bologna or Venice?