So Part 3! BARCELONA!
For those new I have so far been in London(Part One) and France ( Uzes, Paris, Disney, Sarlat and Carcassonne) and now it comes to Part 3 Barcelona.
I was so sad to leave France behind. It truly has a special place in my heart and I look forward to returning as soon as possible! But time to find new loves and adventures.
We found the drive from Carcassonne through to Barcelona easy. Traffic was light (except for one mad toll booth of heavy traffic) and therefore we knew we were in for some sort of DRAMA because that's us!
yes that is what happened!
For some strange reason I had imagined that we would be able to just casually drive up and park outside our apartment ...GPS in hand we go . . and go and go for a good 40mins of chaos and nightmare traffic before I said to hubby let's instead drop the car off and taxi to the apartment before either a car kills us or we kill eachother SO off we go to drop the car off at a shopping centre..again I had this thought that it would be clearly signed,outdoors and stressfree. That would be a big negative...again with GPS in hand we drive around and around and then I say with the wisdom in my head "let's just park in the carpark and I'll go walking and find out where it is" Low and behold as we drive into the carpark we see the sign HERTZ and follow it . . we find the spot to park the car and thankfully unpack the car and sort out the luggage so we have minimal bags.
All done and checked in...no stress in that regard. Time to find a taxi big enough to hold our luggage and 4 people...took maybe 20mins . . taxi driver couldn't speak English but I had written the address down and handed it to him..no worries!
Once we found our apartment in El Born we saw why we couldn't find it! We are in a pedestrian only street! Thank god we changed ideas and dropped the car off when we did!.
Anyway by now it was after 3pm and the office/check in was shut! So I had to ask kindly the shops next door if I could use their phones to call as we had no way of getting in etc. I can only imagine how often this happens for them! The shop on one side said no ...she doesn't like the owners and doesn't wish to help them! the other shop said no worries! I made the call and someone was there to let us in within 5mins! EXCELLENT!
Apartment is GREAT! Location seems WONDERFUL! So really pleased about that!
First things first was the boring unpacking and washing no dryer so we know we have 2 days of air drying to do!
after a couple of hours of this! We head off to the harbor/beach for cocktails and tapas!
Think we picked somewhere expensive but first night here and after the day of stress with driving in the city I felt we deserved the treat and what a yummy treat it was!
We are really lucky that our kids LOVE seafood! SO they were also in heaven eating squid/octopus/prawns and cuttlefish while we enjoyed paella! One of many I am sure!
So plans for tomorrow??? HOHO bus tour . . I just feel it works well for my situation . .I know others disagree but for the kids and us it works well and allows us to get our feel for the city! Then we think we will head back for the beach in the evening with a lazy 8pm dinner somewhere.
It does look like a bit of a MECCA for shopping so I am so going to have to watch my shopping or at least find the post office to send clothes and toys back or something! The other idea is getting another small suitcase . . my son has been wonderful pulling it along so far and that will allow us to spread the weight out for the airlines. I said to hubby that with customs it might work well as we can put the items we want to claim back the tax in can put into the one case etc the least of our worries now.
So fingers are crossed that these pickpocketers stay away and we get to really enjoy the city for what it is!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Finalized my Summer 2018 Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!
- 2 Spanish Medical Providers
- 3 Schengen Rule
- 4 Quizz !
- 5 Barcelona to Grindenwald area
- 6 Piedmont, Cinque Terre, Lucca trip report
- 7 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 8 Zurich to Milan trip
- 9 Ireland - 1 Week Options
- 10 Which car rental company to use in Croatia?
- 11 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 12 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 13 Restaurants Barcelona , Seville and Granada
- 14 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 15 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 16 Pay attention to your watches !
- 17 Area in Madrid we might be staying
- 18 Base recommendation for Mosel and Rhine
- 19 Venice/Mestre
- 20 No Trains in January Paris to Venice?
- 21 Italy Car Scam
- 22 a group of old friends traveling to croatia
- 23 Basing on the Akrotiri Penisula in Crete?
- 24 9-10 days beginning with Barcelona Marathon - what to do after?
- 25 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
The long awaited trip report! Part 3 - Barcelona
So Part 3! BARCELONA!